Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: My wife score's big with a smallmouth  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
She actually got two big one's.  One a 18 inch and this was 20 inch and it was off shore since we were going old school.  Had a great time up there for the day.  Visiting our old spots which have been built up since I was a kid but still producing.  Keep in mind when I was a kid Island Lake had no smallmouth for we never caught any.  Now the lake is a place for trophy smallmouth and even Musky over 50 inch.  Great walleye lake also with a lot of eaters along with some over 20.  Never known as a trophy walley lake but known and is full of the tasty fish.  Proud of my wife who put up a good fight and the big fish is still swimming.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's great RH.  The wife looks like she is having fun too.   :happy1:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, she was.  She kept telling me about how she beat me as far as the biggest smallie.  Thinking about getting a replica made for her to surprise her.  She is the best, I'm blessed.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good for you.  Nothing makes me happier than if the wife catches more or bigger fish than me.  I am just as happy running the net. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
nice fish Reiny!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: letting her catch the biggest fish may have other rewards too!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :rotflmao:

the people that own Industrial Welders in Duluth, at least one of them I believe lives on island lake. I know when I visit that shop it appears to be a popular fishing destination.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes Glen, Island has always been a great fishing lake.  Over 8 thousand acres with many islands and structure.  When I was a kid it was just a walleye, northern, and perch lake.  Cloquet River runs into it.  That's how the smallmouth came in.  Never caught a smallmouth years ago.  Now they are plentiful and there are trophy size there as well. 

They started to stock musky's in there years ago and there are some over 50 inches in there now.  Have had some on fishing for walleye's but never landed any.  Crappies are big there, but you have to find them.  Walleye's tend to be mostly eaters with some over 23 inches and there are ton's of them.  good luck.
« Last Edit: June 06/10/19, 05:28:19 PM by Reinhard »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's awesome Rh, the smiles tell it all. Sounds like a great lake to fish and a good time to be had, keep the pics coming!!