Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Long day but plots are in  (Read 1959 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The new disk worked great.  We sprayed a few weeks ago and today we got 5 plots planted. 

Before disking.

After disking

Equipment at rest

Starting next plot

After a single pass

The pump went out while I sprayed this plot.  I pushed through but it was a bad spray job.
I planted it anyway, so we will see what grows there.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Looks like the new disc did an awesome job.  What did you plant?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The two largest plots (about an acre each) got a mixture of Turnip, Canola, and Radish.  The medium plot (about half acre) got some of the same but also some rye or winter wheat.  The small plot (1/4 acre) got rye and clover. I expect to keep this clover later.  We also mowed another plot (about an acre total) that has a substantial clover growth and over seeded it with 5 pounds of clover just because I had it.  Chased deer that were laying in the grass.     

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Deadeye,
Question about your apple trees. What varieties do you plant and are they cold hardy? I would like to plant some more, I’m in the Park Rapids area. I just planted a “Frostbite” apple tree a couple weeks ago. This variety has been growing well up in Grand Rapids according to the U of M. Just looking for other varieties that would do well up north. If you don’t mind me asking, where are your trees located?
Thanks

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
DaKids,  I'm kinda in the dark about the "food plots", and why it is done.  Down here in the bluff country,  we don't see that.  (Cuz we don't have open areas like that) Can ya explain for me why it's done?      :smiley:                                   

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Rebel SS, it gives us wanna be farmers something to do in the spring and summer.  Some people plant them to hunt over.  I rarely hunt by a food plot.  It's more of an attractant to keep deer in the area as well as adding to their diet.  I doubt the benefits (other than the satisfaction of doing something for the deer) out weight the costs.  It's fun to work some ground, plant a crop and watch it mature if the deer don't decimate it first.   :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cooperman,
These are the varieties we had available this year.  I would have to look back at my old records to see what additional varieties we planted in previous years.  My intention was to make a map as I planted the trees and then have a record so I would know what does well and what grows poorly but I never kept it up.  I did put names on the trees I planted two years ago but the tags washed out after a year.  The trees are planted in central Minnesota, south east Morrison County and all are hardy for the area. 

Frostbite  - Halalred  -Gravenstein  - Norland   - State Fair  -Zestar  - Malus Dolgo Crab -

I took these pictures yesterday.  Most of the trees were planted two years ago but some were planted this year.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
DaKids,  I'm kinda in the dark about the "food plots", and why it is done.  Down here in the bluff country,  we don't see that.  (Cuz we don't have open areas like that) Can ya explain for me why it's done?      :smiley:                                 

We planted 4 acres of corn.  Deer dont use or eat the corn until late Nov to early December.  Last year we had 23 deer eating in the corn field until Feb.   

The does and fawns ate the sunflowers and soybeans all summer.  Finished them off by middle of Sept.   They eat clover on all our trails all year long.   The small rye grain plots attract the does during the rifle season and we hope to intercept the bucks checking the does. The deer also dig through the snow to eat the green rye after the corn is gone.

Our big food plots were just old hay fields.  No clover, just grass.  We feel that we are helping the deer herd by trying to provide a high quality food year round.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Thanks!  :smiley: Don't the deer gnaw up yer apple trees?
« Last Edit: July 07/13/19, 07:08:34 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Need to fence the apple trees.  Bear can do the most damage.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Rebel SS,
All trees are fenced.  Waste of time, energy and money not to fence the apple trees.  Also put tubes around trunk to protect from mice and rabbits.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Last Thursday I planted this plot in the woods.  A large elm tree had died and had dropped several large portions of it's crown.  Today I cut up the limbs and cleared the plot.  Also cut down two ash trees that had been left in the plot.  Now I can spray and mow this plot.  Now, if I could just remember what I planted in here.