Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Deer Season  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
DNR News Release     :deer:

For Immediate Release:

July 30, 2019

Questions? Contact the Information Center by email or 888-646-6367.

Get ready for deer season: 2019 regulations available now

Regulation book online today, licenses available Aug. 1

Hunters can start planning ahead for significant changes to deer season regulations, including a youth deer season that’s expanded statewide, expanded deer feeding and attractant bans, and other updates related to managing chronic wasting disease.

“We heard a lot of support for a statewide youth deer hunting season,” said Barbara Keller, big game program leader for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “We’re excited to make it easier for parents, relatives or trusted adults to share their hunting knowledge and traditions with the next generation of deer hunters.”

The 2019 Minnesota Hunting and Trapping regulations handbook is now available on the DNR’s deer hunting page at mndnr.gov/hunting/deer. Hunting licenses go on sale Thursday, Aug. 1, and are available at any DNR license agent, by telephone at 888-646-6367, or online at mndnr.gov/buyalicense.

The dedicated, statewide youth season runs from Thursday, Oct. 17, through Sunday, Oct. 20, for youth hunters ages 10-17. In the past, the youth season was only available in the southeast, northwest and Twin Cities metro permit areas.

Other significant changes this year include regulations that reflect the DNR’s response to chronic wasting disease. In addition to hunters, all Minnesotans in central and southeast Minnesota should pay close attention to the deer feeding and attractant ban rule. The area where deer feeding and using deer attractants is prohibited will expand starting Sept. 1, in areas of central and southeast Minnesota where CWD was detected in farmed or wild deer.

Feeding and attractants increase the risk of disease transmission between animals by bringing them together in close contact, which is a mechanism for CWD spread.

There are several changes to deer permit area numbering this year that will clarify where CWD management and surveillance occurs. Deer permit areas within a CWD management zone, in southeast and north-central Minnesota, will now be part of a 600-series permit areas. The metro deer permit area will be renamed to 701 from 601.

The DNR is, as in previous years, enforcing carcass movement restrictions to limit the spread of disease. Hunters will also need to be aware of mandatory sampling during all deer seasons in the CWD management zones (southeast and north-central), and over the opening weekend of the firearms season in the CWD control zone (southeast, bordering the CWD management zone) and in surveillance areas (central). Full details about CWD sampling, including sampling locations, carcass movement restrictions, and management and control zones are available at mndnr.gov/cwd.

For more information on what’s new in the regulation changes, and for regularly updated deer hunting information including the DNR’s deer permit area mapping tool, visit the DNR’s deer hunting webpage, mndnr.gov/hunting/deer.
                                                     ###

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow!  This is new...

"Hunters are allowed to harvest up to 3 legal bucks per year in deer permit areas 643, 645, 646, 647, 648, 649, and 655.  Hunters can take one buck under an archery license, one buck under a firearm license and one buck under a muzzleloader license."

These are the zones in extreme SE Minnesota.  I wonder if they are allowing this because...

There are enough bucks down there to support this type of harvest. 
OR it is in the CWD hot zone and they want more deer of both sexes harvested and tested.

Probably the latter.  Of course, deer taken down there are subject to mandatory CWD testing and carcass removal restrictions.
« Last Edit: July 07/30/19, 01:22:26 PM by Steve-o »

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Glad to see the expanded youth season and that the unit my land is in stayed as "managed".   :happy1:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I hunt in northern Minnesota just north of Duluth.  Have been since the late 60's.  Same place also.  If anyone want's to see what a joke the deer map is becoming check out my area 132.  Bucks only, and I don't have a problem with that.  All around it is blue for lottery.  132 is like a island there.  The DNR said it's because of the hard winter that area had [132].  So the Gunflint trail and the north shore didn't have one????  The area's surrounding 132 didn't have one???  132 also borders the Duluth northern areas which have a higher harvest and limit on deer.  What a joke.  good luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Had anyone gone to apply for the anterless permit yet? Deadline is like Sept 5th. Just wondering if there doing that yet???  With bear stuff just around the corner I'd like to get that out of the way.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Check out the first post by Reb.  He has the phone no. and the website for the answer.  I think it's available early Aug. if not now.  good luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i did reiny, just checking to see if anyone had first hand experience. sometimes what they put out isnt reality to the license agents, like they dont have the book or ready to take the applications. i also looked in the regs on the DNR site.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Call Fleet Farm if you have one around you.  They would know if they are ready now.  good luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i checked my local spot that does license, doesnt appear the DNR is set up yet to do anterless tags??????????????

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
3 weeks of rifle season?  :scratch:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I'm glad to see the opener on the 9th. a lot of times when the opener has been like the 3rd or 4th or even the 6th of Nov. It's been 2 warm the by 9th 10 or 11th a good cold snap happens.
« Last Edit: August 08/04/19, 07:05:20 AM by Boar »
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm glad to see the opener on the 9th. a lot of times when the opener has been like the 3rd or 4th or even the 6th of Nov. It's been 2 warm the by 9th 10 or 11th a good cold snap happens.
yea OK mr weatherman!!!!!!!!! :doofus: :crazy: :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :smoking:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
                 :popcorn:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Boar does a good point.  Wisconsin does it right.  Usually when our season closes theirs opens.  Right when the rut is in full swing.  So  the 9th is good for me also.  good luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
don't matter to me when the season opens...…..i'll be in da woods whenever!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy, that's.......ahhh...never mind.  ;)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep Glenn, me too.  I would be in the woods up there even if they closed the season.  I'd be hunting grouse and just sitting around the campfire and have occational adult beverages.  good luck.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
3 weeks of rifle season?  :scratch:

Yeah, it looks like they really want to find out where the diseases animal are and/or take them out.

It will be interesting to see how the folks up there respond to unlimited antlerless.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just when I thought they had it right in my area (managed) they changed it to intensive harvest.  Not sure why they felt the need to allow 3 deer for everyone but I guess I'm not the expert.  My guess is 3 years from now they are going to wonder where all the deer went. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well the deer should begin to get real nervous, got my license and anterless permit in today. :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, that oughtta kill 'em, they'll be laughing so hard.....

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
 :deer: :deer: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:good luck.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yup Glenn heading to the woods in pink. And his favorite weapon. Bugassault!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Yup Glenn heading to the woods in pink. And his favorite weapon. Bugassault!!
:rotflmao: :moon: your just mad cause I figured out you tried passing off the deer hind quarters off as chicken wings. :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I better get a bunch of them tags.  These were taken two and three days ago.
Food plot doesn't have a chance.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***