Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Polymet wins decision  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - A state appeals court has dealt a setback to environmentalists who challenged Minnesota's rules on hard-rock mining.

In a unanimous opinion, the court said on Monday the rules developed by the Department of Natural Resources are valid. Environmentalists argued the rules are too vague to protect Minnesota's natural resources.

Two companies are preparing to build the first copper-nickel mines in Minnesota. Hard-rock mining carries greater environmental risk than northeastern Minnesota's iron ore and taconite mines.

The Star Tribune reports Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness plans to ask the Minnesota Supreme Court to hear the case.

PolyMet Mining Corp. has received permits to build an open-pit copper-nickel mine near Babbitt. Twin Metals Minnesota plans to submit a formal plan next year for an underground copper nickel mine just outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

###

« Last Edit: August 08/05/19, 06:09:24 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Oh yea baby!! :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :dancinred: :dancinred: :dancinred: :dancinred: :dancinred: :blues brothers: :blues brothers: :applause: :applause: :applause: :clap: :clap: that'll show them tree huggers.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Well it sounds like  "its dam safety permit should remain in place" 

Isn't the Dam safe of the Dam, one of the main Dam issues?   :scratch:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Dam if I know.  :confused:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Since when do you need a Dam "safety permit". I thought Safety was Job #1 on most Dam jobs sites?    :crazy:

Like how does that even go?  "Oh your going to run a safe operation on the project?  "Your going to need a Safety Permit for that!"  :bonk: :bonk:
« Last Edit: October 10/24/19, 07:22:52 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Since when do you need a Dam "safety permit". I thought Safety was Job #1 on most Dam jobs sites?    :crazy:

Like how does that even go?  "Oh your going to run a safe operation on the project?  "Your going to need a Safety Permit for that!"  :bonk: :bonk:

Sometimes dams like that fail, and stuff down the hill get wet, very very wet, very rapidly.       

For example, https://www.mining.com/why-samarco-tailings-dam-failed/  http://fundaoinvestigation.com/

which happened in 2015.

Here is the before picture

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Sometimes dams like that fail, and stuff down the hill get wet, very very wet, very rapidly.       

For example, https://www.mining.com/why-samarco-tailings-dam-failed/  http://fundaoinvestigation.com/

which happened in 2015.

Here is the before picture

Duua, so you missed my point.  :doah:
Safety should not be permit-able. It should be always in-place!  :bonk: :bonk:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Duh, the design of the dam has to be shown to be safe, and that's why there is a permit process.   The builders have to convince the agency in charge that the design and plan they have will result in a safe structure.  No building code for dams to assure safety.   

Just like bridges and tall buildings need to have the safety of their design assessed.   And sometimes that doesn't work (35W cough) (Tacoma narrows) but it still needs to be done.   

In this case it is hard to tell if it is an actual safety concern or just another obstructionist tactic by the enviros.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
And trying again to post picture from brazil of dam that failed..... 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Polymet's in Brazil?!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
sigh.   :pouty:

Nope, but they are making a dam sort of like the one that failed in Brazil and some folks want to hear why theirs won't do the same thing... 

Like you have a firestone tire that falls apart and causes Mr Sparkles to end upside down in a ditch.   I might ask the tire guy why that bridgstone won't fall apart and put me in a ditch.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Aah, that's why I run Michelin/ UR's on MS.  'Cuz I likes dem. Ditch-proof.   :snow2:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Aah, that's why I run Michelin/ UR's on MS.  'Cuz I likes dem. Ditch-proof.   :snow2:
can't running a ditch when it's parked in the garage . :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ahh, go play with yer toy stuffed deer!  :moon: