Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Have fun wit dis one guys  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Volunteers needed to dig Superior Hiking Trail latrines

:drillsergeant: Association to host training Aug. 17

:reporter; Written By: Andee Erickson 

:coffee: ....
Trekkers of the Superior Hiking Trail might be familiar with the latrines — or outdoor toilets — located at each of the 94 campsites along more than 300 miles of trail between the Wisconsin and Canadian borders.

:scratch: .....
Users of these latrines might wonder who digs those pits underneath the throne. The answer: volunteers. That is why the Superior Hiking Trail Association, the nonprofit dedicated to maintaining and managing the trail, is hosting its second Elite Latrine Digging Squad training at 10 a.m. Aug. 17 somewhere in the Schroeder or Tofte area.

:doah: ....
Those interested in learning how to dig latrines for the SHT should register for the training online. Those who register will receive notice of a more specific meeting spot closer to the date, as the SHTA is still assessing which latrines need to be replaced, trail development director Jo Swanson said.

:pouty: ......
Each volunteer who commits the training will be expected to dig at least two latrines sometime in the next year. That also means using the dirt from the new latrine to fill in the old latrine.  :pouty:

“The goal is that their shovel will never touch anything that's not dirt,” Swanson said. “I think people think they're going to be coming in contact with waste and the goal is for that not to happen. Obviously, you'll be around the waste, but we're trying to dig new latrines before any of the old ones are full.” :moon:

:cry: ....
At the training, volunteers will dig a latrine together, but after that they’re on their own. Volunteers will claim which latrines they want to re-dig from a list of the ones that need attention, Swanson said, and fall tends to be the best season for doing so.

Swanson said the first Digging Squad training two years ago reached maximum capacity. Former trainees are invited to learn new techniques and help train new people.

:rotflmao: :happy1: ...
“I’m very impressed that volunteers are able and willing to help us with this,” Swanson said. “At first, it doesn't sound like the world’s most fun project, but it's really needed and I think people really enjoy having that excuse to get outside and give back.”

About 30 latrines are re-dug on the SHT each year.

Go to the "SHTA Elite Latrine Digging Squad Training" event on Facebook for more information.

Full time  Volunteers will be expected ta join da UNION after turdy days. :rotflmao:

Note: Dat's after day get ya drunk drinkin BOILERMAKERS :tequila;

Superior Hiking Trail Association volunteer Christie Calin gets muddy digging a new latrine hole. (Submitted photo)

After diggin da digger has ta test da hole :moon: ta see if it works OK! :crazy:

:Photography:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 08/08/19, 09:24:26 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen some of those here and there over the years.  There is one on a small Island on Dumbell Lake near Isabella/Finland area.  I've used that one.  Otherwise while I'm in the woods, I always carry T paper with just in case and I go where the animals go.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Seen some of those here and there over the years.  There is one on a small Island on Dumbell Lake near Isabella/Finland area.  I've used that one.  Otherwise while I'm in the woods, I always carry T paper with just in case and I go where the animals go.  good luck.

Is that named after Glenn?  :bonk: :rotflmao: I took enough sh** from people in my life; no way would I volunteer to willingly come in contact with more.
                                   :tut:
« Last Edit: August 08/08/19, 12:36:51 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Sometimes when I tell my buds about that lake they ask if they named it after me.  good luck.