Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Going to use some serious equipment  (Read 3869 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mulcher at work.  I'm going have this guy clear all trees and brush about 15 feet on each side of a trail between two areas of my land.  Currently you can snake a pickup threw the trail but your mirrors are in jeopardy.   

https://youtu.be/Ja3gSoXmpJ8
« Last Edit: August 08/13/19, 08:10:08 AM by deadeye »
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man what a mean machine. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I want one. Clear up the neighbors yard of ugly bushes, saplings, and K-mart lawn
 goo-gaws.  :evil:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I want one. Clear up the neighbors yard of ugly bushes, saplings, and K-mart lawn
 goo-gaws.  :evil:
you have no right to infringe on someone else's property. you as a former gustopo agent should know that!!!!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch:

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

morning buddy!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :angel: :angel: :kiss:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wat 'til I come up to yer little village, nozzle nose! :moon: *GRIIIIIIND*ROAR*
Morning, scooter!  :azn:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice. That is what I was doing in Effie last weekend. I don't have a mulching head though. Mine is a rotary brush hog. I can get up to a 4-5" tree taken care of though.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
you just have the brush cutter JB ?????  or the whole rig???????

That ASV rig is the shop we organized and are still fighting with!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ok, bring it over and we can try it out.   :cool:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes Glenn, I have the ASV also. It is the RC60. I have had it for 6 years now. Bought it used. Only had 460 hours on it. The had the bucket, snow blower, forks and the brush hog. I got them all.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok, bring it over and we can try it out.   :cool:

I will be right there. ;)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes Glenn, I have the ASV also. It is the RC60. I have had it for 6 years now. Bought it used. Only had 460 hours on it. The had the bucket, snow blower, forks and the brush hog. I got them all.
:happy1: :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Very nice I'd say.  That's quite a pile of toys you got there.  I'm not sure the brush blade would be big enough.  The trail is currently just wide enough to squeeze through and even at that there is a lot of branches and brush dragging on the side and top of the pickup.  The trail is 500 yards long.  So, by the math that's roughly an acre of trees ranging from 4 - 12 inches most are 30-40 feet tall.  Plan is to use a track hoe to move all rocks outside the mulching zone, fell top and skid all marketable timber to a field, fell and mulch tops, smaller trees, brush and stumps.  I don't know what it will cost but I'm sure it will be a pretty big hit to the pocket book.  The alternative would be to fell all trees and move them off the cleared area (this would require a feller buncher to set them down in the existing woods which would create huge piles and lots of damaged trees.  After this a cat would dig and pile stumps.  If anyone has seen this operation, it creates a big mess and the stumps will be in piles for the rest of my life.  I was temped to take the cheaper way but I figured that after a few years I would get sick of the mess and pay to clean it up and bury the stumps.   :bonk:
« Last Edit: August 08/13/19, 03:08:04 PM by deadeye »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like a good plan DE! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I took a few photos on Wednesday.  I couldn't be there yesterday so I hope it's pretty much done.  It's taking a little longer due to all the rocks that needed to be cleared. 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks good. I like the custom paint job on there posi-tracks.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very nice DE.  Better to do it right the first time. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We are done. It took three days (two 11 hours and one 8 hours) to finish.  It took longer due to rocks needing to be moved and he didn't want to use the much faster mulcher because it would be damaged on ground level rocks.  It cost a pretty penny and I had to sit down when I wrote the check, but I have to admit it looks great.  I can't imagine the mess we would have if we simply cut the trees and laid them out off the trail and then used a cat to clear the stumps.  There would be a solid wall of trees 20 feet high and numerous piles of stumps that would be there for decades. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice work!!  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow, what a job........ makes me pooped just looking at it. :shocked:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great job DE!   Just get er done, and do it right.  Now you can cross that off the list.  You have a nice place there so it just got better. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Nice wide shooting lane there.  Huge change for sure.  Know any landscapers that will buy your  boulders? 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Now phase two starts.  Building a road through this area as well as through other fields and woods.  In all it's about a mile of road that we plan to make or improve.  The other mile may just get a little fill here and there as needed.  After the last "guess the cost" deal I did, I'm afraid to do it again.  Here's the plan.  I'm using a local farmers son and friend to do the job.  They do road construction and have or have access to the equipment needed.  A bulldozer will be used to level the ground and spread the fill.  They will have a bobcat for the small jobs.  Several trucks will also be used for the job.  My guess is it will take around 75 loads to complete the road.  They are doing it on their days off and weekends so it may take a while to complete.  This is turning out to be an expensive summer. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Are they getting the 75 loads from your property or do you have to buy it and have it brought in?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm getting a break here as it's coming from the neighbor farmer who's son is doing the work. And, he is not charging me for the gravel.  It's not the best in the world but it should be fine for now.  Also, being close helps a lot.  But it's still a long haul out of his pit about a half mile from the dirt road and the almost two miles back to my place.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man that is great DE.  Fun project.