Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Using a 4 wheeler for a plot  (Read 2552 times)

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I’m planing on planting a food plot next year.
I’ve got a few questions for anyone.
I’m planning on using a 4 wheeler for tilling.
Do you have issues with overheating the wheeler?
Is a fleet farm disk a good choice? Rent a disk?
I just wanna make sure I’m on the right path?
I’m sure I’ll have more question when the time comes

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i planted my first this past year, and used a wheeler and fleet farm disck, i had to put 50 lbs of weight on it so it could disck properly but it was new ground, this year will be easier. no over heating issue eitherr r.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hi birdswacker,
Couple questions and comments.  We would need a little more information regarding the wheeler and size of disk as well as the area being tilled.  The bigger the wheeler the better.  Use at least a 600 CC liquid cooled ATV.  That should pull a 4 foot disk without a problem.  Best to spray vegetation killer on the area several weeks prior to disking because if there is a lot of vegetation it can be time consuming to do a good job.  Until this past year I simply sprayed the area and broadcast the seed and fertilizer with ok results.  This year I disked the area after spraying and it was noticeable better. It also depends on what you are planting.  Clover, brassicas, winter rye.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
birdswacker, we use the tandem disc from fleet farm. King Kutter I believe is it's name and we put some additional weight on it to improve it performance. I agree with deadeye, you need to spray any other grass, ect. before you try to work up the ground. This disc won't penetrate the ground as good as you want to if you don't do some prep work first. After we get ours dug up we broadcast the seed by hand and drag it in with a piece of hurricane fence behind another four-wheeler. These pictures are from this year.
mm

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for the replies I’ll be revisiting this when the time comes!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
so im pleased with my first food plot out come, it was alphalfa and clover . kinda an experiment plot to see how it gose. im really interested in a plot for late season ML. what have yu guys had success with for late season plots
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
so im pleased with my first food plot out come, it was alphalfa and clover . kinda an experiment plot to see how it gose. im really interested in a plot for late season ML. what have yu guys had success with for late season plots

Rutabaga's and Turnips (brassicas)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
oknwhen would yu plant them
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I used to plant them fairly late in August. This year I planted much earlier mid July I believe.  Much better food plot.  See my picture time line in another post.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
We used our disc behind the 4-wheeler to make a large clover plot in May.

The year before we used a pull behind tiller but the disc worked way better.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN