Minnesota Outdoorsman - Minnesota Fishing and Hunting Reports

Recent

Author Topic: Guess the cost contest.  (Read 68 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 421
  • Likes Given: 0
Guess the cost contest.
« on: August 13, 2019, 03:25:06 PM »
Just for fun, I'm starting a "guess the cost" contest.  I'm not sure of a prize or even if there will be any other than "I won".  The winner will be the MNO member that comes closest to the total cost to do the work I described in my serious machinery topic.  In order to prevent people from putting in a guess $1 over or under another, please PM me with your guess.  I will post them all once the work is done and the bill is paid.  I just spoke to the guy and he is bringing equipment there today and will start tomorrow.  Post any questions here so everyone gets the same information. 

Here is what is being done.

The trail is currently just wide enough to squeeze through and even at that there is a lot of branches and brush dragging on the side and top of the pickup.  The trail is 500 yards long.  So, by the math that's roughly an acre of trees ranging from 4 - 12 inches most are 30-40 feet tall.  Plan is to use a track hoe to move all rocks outside the mulching zone, fell top and skid all marketable timber to a field, fell and mulch tops, smaller trees, brush and stumps.  I don't know what it will cost but I'm sure it will be a pretty big hit to the pocket book.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:27:54 PM by deadeye »
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 575
Re: Guess the cost contest.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:43:58 PM »
Who is felling the trees, you or the people you are hiring?
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 421
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Guess the cost contest.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 04:14:45 PM »
The people with the mulcher also have a feller buncher and will cut top and skid out to the field all trees they feel are marketable.  Probably 1/4 of the road has mature aspen.  The remaining 3/4ths was clear cut about 30 years ago.  Maybe about 20% of these will be skidded to the field and the remaining trees, stumps and tree tops will be mulched on the spot.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Video