Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Yearly Walk  (Read 1813 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
It's been kind of a tradition since it happened. We walk for awareness, and it's something that most folks don't want to talk about. My great friend Doug Benson, designed some shirts for us to walk in this year... and I believe they turned out awesome! Since my nephew took his life, we walk for suicide prevention. It helps us keep his memory alive, and helps me cope with his loss. Here is a picture of the shirts he designed for us.....so, a BIG thanks to Doug for helping me out! This years walk will be September 15th, Sunday, at the Como Park Pavilion, 9:00 a.m......maybe we'll see you there?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
excellent picture, great work Doug!!  that is something that really affects people..  I'm still confused by a couple folks I knew that did that and it's been a few years now...  hope the walk is a good one HD...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
excellent picture, great work Doug!!  that is something that really affects people..  I'm still confused by a couple folks I knew that did that and it's been a few years now...  hope the walk is a good one HD...

Thanks Mikey! It will be a good walk, rain or shine. I've always been confused about suicide myself, and why. But sometimes people have to step back, and think...and some folks can't see the bigger picture of life.

I have to say, that I have thought about it myself when I was younger... but my support group was there for me.

And sometimes you miss the trigger words & actions..... so hopefully, by raising awareness, we can get some to stop and think.

I don't want this to sound like a sermon..... just want to raise awareness....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
amen brother!!!  it's always good to have folks to talk to and share!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's a good thing to talk about this stuff HD. Must've been 8 or 9 years ago a friend of ours in the sheep business did himself in out behind his barn. No warning but left a note. No real financial strain but the note revealed some real tough mental things going on no one was aware of. One of the pout shout gals on MNO at the time had a herding dog, a red & white Aussie shepherd I think. They couldn't keep it and I wound up getting it arranged so the guy's widow could pick it up. Best darn thing that could've happened given the circumstances. The dog bonded well & helped get her through it.

The stress level out here in ag country right now is enormous. Commodity prices are crap, input costs are high, many overspent on equipment and toys when times were good. People are getting leveraged more with each passing season. While it might not be at the same point we were in the 80's, if the tariffs and grain glut continues, it won't be long. I think the recent death threats to the USDA employee and the Crop Tour leader a few weeks back were the tip of the iceberg. It exposed just how much pressure there is and how desperate some have already become. A lot of people are getting closer to a breaking point & I have several customers suffering from clinical depression. It's time to watch closely and listen so those who need mental health assistance get it before it's too late.     
« Last Edit: September 09/08/19, 07:09:33 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We had a great turnout, 30 + Walker's for our team!
It's a good time to come together, and celebrate ones life, and bring to light a condition that is preventable if we would just open our eyes and our hearts.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is great!!!   :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That says it all...... :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You are a good man HD.