Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Drying out peppers  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I have enough jalapenos for a couple rounds of poppers yet but the rest of them with the cayenne,  birds eye ( pretty hot), and serrano I'm thinking on slicing open and putting in the pellet smoker on low and drying out ( no dehydrater here).  It'll probably take a while which is fine but what I'm wondering besides adding dried cilantro,  should one add some sweet peppers to sweeten it up a bit since there's plenty of heat? I know rebs has a pretty good dried out recipe .. what am I missing?  Looking to grind and get a few small shakers for different dishes. The long smoke should add some good flavor.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's a good idea, Boob, but I found the sweeter ones came out kinda bland, ie; didn't add much to the mix. The cilantro is good, as is a bit of paprika/smoked (Hungarian )paprika (which is peppers anyway) A tad of cumin never hurts, either..... for a twist, try a pinch of cinnamon...really! Just my .02  :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 09/09/19, 05:32:21 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to know reb on the sweet peppers.  Cinnamon huh, that'll sweetin it up.. thank ya sir!!  :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
So Saturday morning I fired up the big dog to give it a whirl drying out some peppers ( the pit boss vertical was going to have ribs in it ) . Ended up picking out the runt of all the peppers which some I seeded and some I didnt and thru hickory smoke at em. Tge grill ran around 180 and dried em out faster than I thought but they shriveled to pertnear nothing, luckily the cilantro dried within an hour. So after grinding I added brown sugar,  chipotle and paprika to the hot peppers. Didnt yield much but we'll see..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Wondermous!!!! Ya, it takes a LOT pf peppers for one nice sized bottle, believe me!
I dried 5 round racks of 'em to get half a jar.  :doah: Keep us posted on this one!  :happy1

O ya..... try a shake or two next time ya make a pizza.
« Last Edit: September 09/16/19, 06:16:26 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Bobber, your the man.  I would love to do that.  Nothing like growing your own peppers and doing what you did.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dang!!!  sounds good Boober!!!  enjoy!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
So boobers, how many beers did it take to complete that task??? :scratch: :moon: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!