Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tale of da Golden Walleye  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:reporter; "Tale of da rare Golden Walleye"

9/16/19

Joe Honer has been guiding for decades, but he’s never seen anything like the fish one of his customers caught late last week. Pursuing September walleyes in the Glacial Lakes region of northeastern South Dakota, Honer’s boat caught and released a gorgeous 14-inch golden walleye. Sandy Stewart from Nebraska caught the fish on an 1/8-ounce white jig tipped with a 3-inch white Gulp! minnow grub.

“We were just pitching jigs into shallow water,” Honer told Outdoor News this morning. “I’ve seen a lot of color varieties of walleyes over the years but never one like this. It was almost bright chartreuse with white on the top and bottom of the tail.”

Though some fish fade quickly when out of the water, Honer said this fish remained bright and golden while they snapped a couple quick pictures before releasing it.

“It’s the only one I’ve ever seen, and I spoke with some South Dakota Fisheries guys and they’d never seen anything like it either,” Honer said.

Brian Blackwell, a S.D. Game and Fish fisheries biologist from Webster said the images were the first he’d ever seen a golden walleye from the area.

“We have observed some white bass (Waubay Lake, Big Stone Lake) that are gold like this. I’m not sure of the cause, but possibly a genetic mutation. There is an article about a walleye caught from Oneida Lake, N.Y., in 2016 where it is suggested that the gold is the result of a genetic mutation.”

Blackwell provided that information concerning the Oneida fish below.

Dr. Robert Montgomerie, a Professor and Research Chair in Biology at Queen’s University, explained, “Normally, the fish scales receive incoming white light and different molecular structures convert white light to blue or yellow, which make the fish look green. In the yellow (gold) bass, it is likely that some spontaneous mutation occurred that prevented the scales from making the proper molecular structures to convert white light to blue. Without the structures that convert white light to blue, the fish looks yellow (gold) rather than green (which is what you see when blue and yellow combine). It’s not that the bass has gained a yellow pigment but rather lost the ability to produce the blue colours that make its scales look green.”

Loren Miller, a Minnesota DNR fisheries research scientist in St. Paul said that over the past couple years, he’s also been asked about a golden buffalo and golden crappie. He suspects these cases involve a “xanthic” pigment mutation.

“Xanthophore: A pigment-containing cell that contains carotenoids and pteridines, which impart yellow and reddish pigments. Maybe it’s rare because it takes multiple mutations or it happens more often but they rarely survive this long,” Miller said via email.

Eden-S.D.-based Honer guides more than 100 days per year and has been guiding full time for 14 years and part-time guide for another seven while working as a papermaker. Check out his guide service at www.joeguidesyou.com.

Enlarge Photos..........

:Photography: :doah:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 09/16/19, 12:21:34 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
wow thats a cool looking fish!!!!!!! :happy1:

i peeked at his website????????? did this guy grow up, live in the st cloud area???????????? dang he looks ALOT like a Joe honer i worked with back in my DCI welding days???????????????????????????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yu mean find place to hide and sleep at work days...
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :moon: :moon: at least i dont gotta stand next to pretend chicks to get my picture taken! :mooning: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

by the way you may have ate something, drank something today that was made in one of them vessels i welded on! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
:mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :moon: :moon: at least i dont gotta stand next to pretend chicks to get my picture taken! :mooning: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

by the way you may have ate something, drank something today that was made in one of them vessels i welded on! :happy1: :happy1:

Stainless cow trough?  :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

listen bologna brain  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: some of them meds you take are posibbly made in them too!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :rolleyes:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Never seen anything like it.  Now in some of the lakes up north in stained waters I have caught many with more golden bellies and still do.  But never yellow like this.  good luck.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

listen bologna brain  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: some of them meds you take are posibbly made in them too!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :rolleyes:

:scratch: Sounds like somebody.... may have done something.... to someone. :doah:  :tut: :rotflmao:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Well, that explains that!!  :doofus:        :rotflmao:  :moon: