Minnesota Outdoorsman - Minnesota Fishing and Hunting Reports


Author Topic: Ask a conservation officer  (Read 368 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Lee Borgersen

  • AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • *
  • Posts: 14683
  • Karma: +37/-530
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
  • Liked: 628
  • Likes Given: 237
Ask a conservation officer
« on: September 17, 2019, 08:21:25 AM »

 Ask a Conservation Officer  :confused:


  What are the rules for driving on ATV trails and roads in Minnesota? :scratch:

Q: Does an 18 year old, who does not have a driverís license, but has a Wisconsin ATV certificate qualify to drive in Minnesota on ATV trails and roads in the same way he could if it were a Minnesota certificate?

A: Anyone born after July 1, 1987, and above 12 years of age is required to have an ATV safety certificate to operate an ATV in public, even once they are older than 18. Minnesota does recognize a Wisconsin ATV safety certificate as meeting training requirements for non-residents. Minnesota Statutes in Chapter 84 address ATV operation and there are different requirements between trails and roads as it relates to a driverís license. First, letís look at how the law defines what is considered the ďroad.Ē

M.S. 84.92 subdivision 6a defines the public road right-of-way as the entire right-of-way of a public road, including the traveled portions, banks, ditches, shoulders, and medians of a roadway, that is not privately owned. That means that even operating in the ditch, if it is not private property, would be the same as operating on the traveled portion of the roadway.

M.S. 84.9256 specifically states a driverís license issued by this state or another state is required to operate an ATV along or on a public road right-of-way. The only time an ATV safety certificate would serve as an exemption to a driverís license requirement is under subdivision 1 paragraph (j) which says a person 12 years of age but less than 16 years of age may operate an ATV on the roadway, bank, slope, or ditch of a public road right-of-way if the person possesses a valid ATV safety certificate and is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian on a separate ATV. This statute does not provide an exemption to the driverís license requirement for anyone 16 or older.

Now, if the road right-of-way is encompassed by a trail administered by the commissioner and designated for ATV or multi-vehicle use then M.S. 84.928 subdivision 1a paragraphs (g) and (h) allow operation there without a driverís license.

So the simple answer to your question is an 18 year old would not be able to operate on the road right-of-way without a driverís license regardless of ATV safety training. However, their Wisconsin ATV safety training would satisfy the Minnesota requirement to operate on trails.

 :bow: Just Ask! :happy1:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:29:52 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.

              Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Posts: 25008
  • Karma: +206/-181
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  • Liked: 2322
  • Likes Given: 1932
Re: Ask a conservation officer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 09:02:13 AM »
i got a question for a CO???????

is there any way someone can FINALLY teach boar how to catch a fish, or actually shoot something thats not road kill????????? :scratch: :scratch: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

sorry!!!!!!!!!!! :smoking: :sleazy: :cool:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Posts: 11075
  • Karma: +65/-11
  • Liked: 2225
  • Likes Given: 5560
Re: Ask a conservation officer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 02:02:08 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Good one Glenn.