Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Planning my 1st North Dakota duck hunting trip!  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My dad, a buddy, younger son, and I are planning a North Dakota duck hunting trip for the middle of October. My buddy has done this trip a couple of times but it will be the first time for my dad, son, and I. We have our lodging reserved, and location picked (based off my buddies past experience).

Have any of you been out to North Dakota for ducking hunting? Any advice or tips would be appreciated!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
What part of ND you going. The past 12 years I've driven 94 to Bismarck. My Nov trip is the best to see waterfowl. In Minnesota geese around Fergus falls us crazy. All along and especially past Jamestown the sky is full of birds. I hear and gave seen for myself the Tappen area is good. Best I can do
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ive done alot of fowl hunting around hurdsfield ND, PRARIE POTH HOLE reGion. awesome hunting. most farmersnhave no.problem let people hunt.  good luck
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I grew up in ND hunting ducks and still live in Bismarck.  If possible, I would try to move your trip back a few weeks.  There are TONS of standing crops yet and the harvest is weeks behind.  Also the peak migration seems to be Oct 25 - Nov 5 these days.  I don't do much duck hunting these days as I prefer chasing pheasants with my dog, but if you have any more specific questions I can help with, feel free to send me a message.  Good luck!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
We had terrible weather (cold, rainy & windy) but good company on our North Dakota (southwest of Jamestown)duck hunting trip a week and half ago. Only a couple of ducks but lots of good memories made.
« Last Edit: October 10/30/19, 05:33:25 PM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
A few more pictures from our trip.
« Last Edit: October 10/30/19, 05:18:16 PM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
last Thursday and Friday I drove to and from Bismarck. usually this time of year the puddles and skies are full of waterfowl...…..I seen 2 swans!!!!

I think that 12 inches plus snow sent them straight on through!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Now that you bring that up....I haven't seen any geese flying or honking overhead....! That's a nightly Fall thing in CAWchester for as long as I can remember....didn't see any at twilight  last nite, and I was out by some of the reservoirs last nite... wonder what's up with that? :confused:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
we have gazillikns ups here along with swans. the major flight aint happend yet. not tila a abler clipper comes thru.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Haven't seen any in the morning coming in from the fields, either...that's really odd.

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You were there too early.  The large majority of birds are still in Canada.  Things are starting to pick up this week from what I am hearing.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
They were heading south past Moose Lake last week in large numbers - according to the National Weather Service anyway.

Almost a million ducks create weather radar phenomenon in Minnesota

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
agree, birds are in canada, my son and buddies just got back last sunday from central sask, and they said the northern mallards just showed where they were last wed, so a week ago... they are still coming.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy