Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: stop deer feastin on plants  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
    A smelly alternative to stop deer from feasting on plants :bambi:

Written By: Jennifer Knutson | U of M Extension Master Gardener |
 Sep 29th 2019 - 12pm. 

Dear Master Gardener: All my hostas were eaten by deer this year. Are there plants I can add among them that will repel deer? Besides physical or chemical barriers, are there plants that act as deer protection? :scratch:

Answer: If your hostas are being eaten by deer, it can be assumed that this is a shade garden. According to the University of Vermont Extension, deer repellent plants are those that are highly aromatic and therefore offensive to them. They suggest interplanting perennial herbs such as Artemisia, Tansy and Yarrow and culinary herbs such as Mint, Thyme, Tarragon, Oregano, Dill, or Chives as a repellent. Unfortunately, herbs require a sunny location, so this may not be an option for you. There are plants that deer typically dislike and avoid, such as plants with fuzzy or coarse foliage and those with leaves or stems with strong odors. Plants for a sunny garden that are rarely damaged by deer include Anise Hyssop, Autumn Crocus, Catmint, Allium, Russian Sage, Baptisia and most herbs. Plants for a shade garden that are rarely eaten by deer include Pulmonaria, Lady’s mantle, Wild Ginger, Ferns, and Cimicifuga.

Dear Master Gardener: Can I bring my herbs inside for the winter so I can continue to have fresh herbs for cooking?

Answer: Yes, but it can be challenging in the hot, dry conditions found in most homes in the winter. Herbs grown indoors will probably be less productive than when they are grown outdoors. Bring potted herbs inside before the first frost. Some herbs, such as chives, mint, and tarragon can tolerate a light frost. Keep herbs in a room that has daytime temperatures of at least 65-70 degrees and nighttime temperatures of 55-60 degrees. Most herbs need at least six hours of direct sunlight, so give them as much light as you can by placing them in a sunny, south-facing window or under cool white fluorescent lights for 14-16 hours. If you are growing potted herbs on a windowsill, rotate the pot for uniform growth. If herbs do not receive adequate light, they will become thin and spindly, produce smaller leaves, and have less aroma. You can increase humidity by setting the pots of plants on saucers with moist pebbles or misting them with water. Water only when the potting medium feels dry, but never allow the plant to wilt.

Dear Master Gardener: My husband is always in a hurry to cut back perennials and clean up the gardens. Is it too early to cut them back? Can they be cut back in spring instead?

Answer: Wait to cut back perennials until their foliage is damaged by frost and they are brown and dead. As long as the plant is green, it continues to build up carbohydrates through photosynthesis and store them in its roots for next year’s growth. Many perennials do not need to be cut back at all before winter and some provide beautiful winter interest and a source of food for birds. Ornamental grasses and perennial seed pods, such as those found on Baptisia, can add striking interest to a winter landscape. You can leave them standing until spring then cut them back before new growth appears. Many birds rely on the seed heads of dried perennials for food. If you would like to provide a food source for birds, leave Rudbeckia (black-eyed Susan), Echinacea purpurea (purple coneflower), and Heliopsis in place for the winter. As we experienced last winter, we can have some very frigid temperatures. Perennials that are hardy to zone 4 are more likely to survive our cold winters if you don’t cut them back, which allows leaves to collect around them and snow to insulate them.

It is important to cut back any plants with disease or insect problems to reduce the chance of infection next year. If you had problems with slugs around your hostas, cut them back as soon as they are frost-damaged and remove all their leaves from the ground, as the dead leaves can harbor slug eggs that will hatch next year. Cut back Peonies within two inches of the ground when they have been damaged by frost and are mostly brown. Heuchera (coral bells), Dianthus, Moss Phlox, Hellebores, and Tiarella should not be cut back.

Dear Master Gardener: Should I cut my Hydrangea back this fall or wait until spring?

Answer: Hydrangea arborescens (Annabelle, Bounty, Incrediball, Grandiflora) and Hydrangea paniculata (Limelight, Quick Fire, Pinky Winky, Tardiva, White Diamonds, etc) bloom on new wood of the current season. They can either be cut back in late winter or early spring. Flowering is actually enhanced by cutting back all stems to about 12 inches from the soil line. Some hydrangeas flop after a rain. One way to alleviate flopping and strengthen the stems is to cut stems to a height of 18-24 inches to provide a framework to support new growth. Some Hydrangea paniculata can grow quite large so cutting it back can help you manage its size. If size is of no concern to you, then just remove spent blossoms and any broken stems.

October Gardening Tips

•Gradually reduce mowing height to 2 ½ inches until grass grows dormant. If grass is left long through the winter, it will fold over under the weight of snow and form humid pockets that will favor the growth of snow mold. Most mowers do a good job of mulching tree leaves if they aren’t too thick, but heavy accumulations of large oak and maple leaves should be raked up and composted.

•If nights with freezing temperatures are predicted, cover annuals such as begonias and impatiens loosely with sheets to trap the heat stored in the ground overnight and prevent freezing damage. Sometimes when plants are protected for one or two nights they will keep growing and blooming for an additional few weeks.

•Tropical plants, such as Mandevilla and Hibiscus, have no frost tolerance and must be brought indoors before any freezing temperatures occur. If you would like to keep them over the winter, place them next to a patio door or large window where they will receive bright light.

•Cover strawberry plants with clean straw after several nights of temperatures in the mid 20s to allow them to go dormant and protect their crowns.

•Vegetables in the cabbage family (kale, kohlrabi, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts) develop a milder flavor when exposed to a frost before harvesting.

•Plant tulips, hyacinths, and miniature daffodils in shallow containers to force for winter bloom. Place the containers in a cool dark place for about three months; then move them to a bright, sunny spot for three to four weeks to flower. Bulbs started in mid-October should be blooming by mid-February. Paperwhite Narcissus bulbs do not need a cold forcing treatment and will bloom in a few weeks from when you plant them.

•Keep watering trees and shrubs -- especially evergreens -- until the soil freezes. They need sufficient water to survive our dry winters.

•Clean up and dispose of fallen apples, apple leaves with spots, over-ripe vegetables, and tomato plants that had disease problems and do not compost them. Many disease and insect pests overwinter in plant material and good sanitation will reduce pest problems next year.

University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardeners are trained and certified volunteers for the University of Minnesota Extension. All information given in this column is based on university research. To ask a question, call the Master Gardener Help Line at 218-454-GROW (4769) and leave a recorded message. A Master Gardener will return your call.

Cimicifuga is among numerous plants rarely eaten by deer.

:Photography:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 09/30/19, 10:56:34 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I wish they'd eat all mine. I hate the damned things. C'mon over!  :bambi:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
well kill da darn tings den!!!!!!!!  :pouty: :pouty: roundup works good.

we had deer chewing them off at the cabin all the time........till we peed on them!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, ya ain't peein' on mine!!!  :doah:  I actually yanked 'em all out just a bit ago. Only in one spot along my steps, not all over the place...yet.
Boy, it sure is hume and drippy out!   :tongue:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, ya ain't peein' on mine!!!  :doah:  I actually yanked 'em all out just a bit ago. Only in one spot along my steps, not all over the place...yet.
Boy, it sure is hume and drippy out!   :tongue:
well with them damn things, dont be surprised they show up again. :confused: there like a weed. you may just need to spray them with a killer. curious to see if they come back!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I cut 'em down every year, and they come right back. They do look nice, and are planted along the sidewalk picket fence, but I just don't like hostas. Especially in the fall when those stalk things grow way up into the air. They haven't really spread....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my mom loves those damn things......and my wife has them but i take care of them. mom told me after the flowers are done blooming, which apparently is good for the plant to cut them stalks off..............so i do!!!!

ours may branch out a bit but dont really spread.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, those stoopid deer eat up all the plants at the cemetery.....pisses off lotsa folk. Flowers ain't cheap. Should have a special open season on them up there. Almost ran right into me!
I took these when I was up there last year, after they ate my Dad's flowers. Twice. 
They think it's a friggin' smorgasboard.  :angry2:

« Last Edit: September 09/30/19, 02:40:18 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I got a book, 50 plants deer don't like.   Want me to send it?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sure....I think I found another deterrent, too. Plants started to get munched on by bugs, so I mixed up some bug spray I have, and sprayed 'em weekly. Not one bite out of 'em all season. Flowers ten feet away got munched off continually.....

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
ok everyone... for fun here it is...

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
BTW liquid fence seems to work pretty well up at the cabin to protect mama's geraniums...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
So does Deer-b-Gone spray..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This did the job for me.  The deer did however eat various plants around the house and flower garden.
But, they left the vegies for me.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, some folks we know on Vermilion grew prize winning lilies.   They had like a 8 foot fence around the area that they were in.   

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Old guy told me trick last summer saved my garden..  4’ height rope or wire around garden tie white plastic bags from grocery store every 4 ft.  Looks stupid but works Young deer won’t go under and older deer won’t jump it..

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
30-06.   save the green beans.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was told deer don't like this Milorganite fertilizer. I have some proof it works. I used that last spring when I planted that chickory and glover up north around the new shed. there wasn't any sign of deer till late fall!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I was told deer don't like this Milorganite fertilizer. I have some proof it works. I used that last spring when I planted that chickory and glover up north around the new shed. there wasn't any sign of deer till late fall!!!!!!!

that's cause there are no deer near there!!!!     :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

that's cause there are no deer near there!!!!     :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A couple years ago I discovered why my tomatoes looked so poor.  I fenced the garden the next spring.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: Might be 'cause of the way it smells 'round there. :doah: :bonk: Too much like MGL!! ;) :rolleyes:  :super smiley: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
A couple years ago I discovered why my tomatoes looked so poor.  I fenced the garden the next spring.

No wonder the herd is so healthy at your place.  You make it a point to feed them a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.   :happy1: