Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: lab question  (Read 13190 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so my chocolate lab will have her 12th b-day on oct 12th. the past week she doesn't eat all her food at one time. keep in mind i'm not complaining, its just not her.

since day one she would eat as much as you put in front of her. we literally needed to absolutely control her food intake. she would also sneek and eat the sheltie's dish empty. whats funny no the sheltie will push it behind the chairs around the table so the lab cant get at it. :evil: :rotflmao: funny as all get out!!

anyway back to the lab, any ideas what I may be encountering in the near future???????? or is she just slowing down in her upper years>????????? :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Think about it Glenn.  The time is coming.  We too have a 12 year old lab and the time is coming. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Think about it Glenn.  The time is coming.  We too have a 12 year old lab and the time is coming.
UGH...…..I DONT WANNA!!!!!!!! :sad: :sad: :angry:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
First, I'd get blood work done to rule out kidney issues, diabetes, etc.He IS old...  My pooch always ate all his food when I ate, 'cuz that's when I fed him. We ate together. As he got older, sometimes he wouldn't eat it all, and since I fed him dry food, I'd just leave it. He'd graze off and on all day when I was gone, but always ate more when I was around. I think when they get older, their metabolism slows down, so they eat less. Is he drinking more/less water? Is he getting as much exercise/walkies in as always? Every dog is different, my bird dog ate so fast he'd choke and barf...idjit! He always did that....every dog is different! But, then Scruffy slowed way down, and I found out he had kidney disease...I'll stop there. That's just my take on it, Glenn....get some blood work to ease yer mind first.
« Last Edit: September 09/30/19, 08:35:09 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
YEA she drinks fine. she dojt run around like years ago...….gawd only know she tries, especially at the cabin, then she acts like she's hurting for a good day.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think she's got REB disease.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: *OW*OOH*  :bonk:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I give my older lab a Tylenol dipped in butter with his morning meal and his afternoon meal.  He eats it like candy..  Helps a lot.  Info from my Vet.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
YEA she drinks fine. she dojt run around like years ago...….gawd only know she tries, especially at the cabin, then she acts like she's hurting for a good day.
:scratch: That sounds a lot like her Dad.  ;) :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: That sounds a lot like her Dad.  ;) :laugh:
:tut: :tut: maybe, some days anyway. :confused: :pouty: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
First, I'd get blood work done to rule out kidney issues, diabetes, etc.He IS old...  My pooch always ate all his food when I ate, 'cuz that's when I fed him. We ate together. As he got older, sometimes he wouldn't eat it all, and since I fed him dry food, I'd just leave it. He'd graze off and on all day when I was gone, but always ate more when I was around. I think when they get older, their metabolism slows down, so they eat less. Is he drinking more/less water? Is he getting as much exercise/walkies in as always? Every dog is different, my bird dog ate so fast he'd choke and barf...idjit! He always did that....every dog is different! But, then Scruffy slowed way down, and I found out he had kidney disease...I'll stop there. That's just my take on it, Glenn....get some blood work to ease yer mind first.
I out of the blue asked my wife about vet visits, she said they gave blood work done once a year.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck, but I would keep an eye on her and then maybe do the lab work.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Get the lab wok done. Use that union cash. Stuff can come on suddenly, ya know......once a year may not be enough for an older dog, human ya, but not an older dog....

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/wellness-testing-for-senior-dogs
« Last Edit: October 10/01/19, 07:54:05 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
would it be Ok to give the lab an aspirin or tylenol of ibeprofen????????? :doah: :doah:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll hold off until tests are done. Tylenol can do kidney /liver damage, aspirin can cause GI bleeding, NSAIDS can ball up their sytem. Wait until tomorrow. However, if ya have some Tramadol....that's what scruffy was on. Helped him a lot. I took it for my back....the vet said use that; same thing. Just give him a 1/4 tab. Danged good high-end vet.
« Last Edit: October 10/08/19, 03:24:10 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I had a Springer years ago that had a good share of arthritis in her hips, I believe it was called duramax and tgat did wonders for her in the field and after. After retiring her she was put on baby aspirin (cheaper) and that helped out too.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We give our 12 year old lab a tylenol dipped in butter with his morning feeding and his afternoon feeding.  Vet approved.  He wouldn't be able to walk if we didn't do this. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I think this is a very helpful thread. I have been noticing my lab who is 8 get up slowly at times.  I got some Cosequin to help with her joints.  After reading the other posts I wonder if anyone gave their dog this and if it helps.  IT's expensive the but I don't care.  Just trying to help now so she doesn't have any problems in the future.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well, today is vet visit day. my guts are rolling and as much as i try to think positive i dont see a favorable outcome. she hasnt eaten worth a crap for 2 days. having to literally carry her up the steps suxs. i dont understand it, when she gets up she walks, moves pretty good, its to get her to do it. :doah: :embarrassed:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like her hips may really hurt....

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think this is a very helpful thread. I have been noticing my lab who is 8 get up slowly at times.  I got some Cosequin to help with her joints.  After reading the other posts I wonder if anyone gave their dog this and if it helps.  IT's expensive the but I don't care.  Just trying to help now so she doesn't have any problems in the future.  good luck.

We give Sammy that stuff too RH.  Used to give him the liquid with each feeding but now found the pills which he likes like candy.  Doesn't hurt.  Also for pain "Buffered aspirin" or Tylenol is easiest on them.  Buffered aspirin doesn't cause stomach issues but isn't as easy to find as it used to so we go with Tylenol dipped in butter.  He like them like candy too when I do that.  If Buddy overdoes it we give him a Tylenol too.  There is a great book that every dog owner will love by a Vet in Bemidji.  Dr. Busby.  He is an old guy who is mad at the Vet Profession for charging for un needed things.  His book is "How to afford a Vet without mortgaging the kids."  It is actually kind of funny but we save a lot of money doing things we read in the book.  You can buy it online. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks LPS.  We found it on line .  Looks like a dog treat so Lucy goes for it.  3 a day it says.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I take that stuff 3x a day too. I'm a creaky old dawg.  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: October 10/09/19, 12:33:03 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We just got back from the vet. Coco was a pretty sic dog. We put her down to end her suffering. I cried like a friggin baby. Gawd does this hurt.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That sucks Glenn,  sorry pal..

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Been waiting to hear how this came out & was hoping for.the best. So sorry for your loss Glenn.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O sh** man. I'm really sorry Glenn.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Glen, I got tears just reading your post.  I know it well.  I lost my two dogs who where 15 years old just a couple of month apart.  I swore I would never have another one ever.  5 years later my daughters conspired to give me a surprise with Lucy who is 8 now.  I will break down in tears big time just thinking about it.  They love you all the time not just some of the time.  Glenn, take care and I know you will be hurt for some time.  I never forget my past family members and I include my dogs.  I even don't like calling them dogs.  You look into their eye's and you know they have all emotions that we do, only stronger.  Wishing the best for you Glen.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man, it got to me. I Lost my best friend ever, and when I look at his pics, I still start crying.
He died in '05.
I'm with ya, Glenn.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys, you have no idea how much that really means  too me.

The vet after I explained everything did a great job of checking her over. She had a slight fever, get heart rate was elevated, she had a hard time breathing. Besides the arthritis in her back end she had a pretty good sized tumor and said in all likely hood was cancerous. Her organs weren't working do well either.

In his discussion with my wife and I, I started to read his cryptic message between the lines. When he went on to say they could give her some meds but really wouldn't help in the long run that made up my mind. I wasn't going to let her suffer no longer.

So now she's pain free and with my grandson. Man that dog would go goofy when Coco would see Dakota.