Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Gophers Football 2019  (Read 4598 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Since I couldn't find it quickly and I know there are some fans here let's get a thread back up here where we can see it. With the Twinkies looking like they're circling the bowl and the Vikings going who knows where, they create a nice diversion if nothing else.

A little sweet revenge today against Illinoise after getting ambushed last year. Gophers offense runs roughshod over a crummy defense and the defense holds up to help them put the game away. To be perfectly honest tho, the Illini are terrible, with Lovie Smith sporting an 11-30 record in 4 years so far at Illinoise. The Gophers have had too many close games so far so one just waits for the other shoe to drop. The Fuskers come to town next week so this should be their toughest test to date. Their starting QB got hurt and not sure what his status will be by next Saturday. They managed to beat Northwestern tho so the Gophers will have to bring their A game if they want to establish themselves as contenders not pretenders.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes it has been fun to watch the Gophers.  Man their QB is a fighter.  That is what it takes to win.  The whole team is fighters actually.  That is why they are winning...

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Let's hope they haven't suddenly decided they're good and look past Maryland to Penn State. Be a shame to get ambushed at home. Maryland could do it if they don't play good D again. This is why PJ gets paid the big bucks. So they don't have letdowns. Still somewhat of a PJ skeptic. Beat Maryland, Iowa (I want Floyd back), and Northwestern (weather's usually crap & Gophers tend to lose there) and the season was still a success. Beat Penn State and Bucky too? Asking too much.

Only watched the last quarter against Rutgers but listened to most of it on the radio. Always scratch my head seeing that offensive line and the running backs they have, they should be able to run the ball almost at will on anybody. Took 'em a while to get rolling but once they did, it wasn't much of a game. Almost looked like PJ called off the dogs and let Rutgers score. That's OK. They've had a rough season and there are rumblings about whether they want to continue trying to compete in the Big 10. I think Nebraska might be having some of the same thoughts... :rotflmao:

PS - Kudos to Lovie for upsetting Bucky! Hear some of the same drivel emanating from Madison & Green Bay. A healthy serving of crow serves to cleanse their palates from time to time.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 09:51:09 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
As Sid Hartman used to say when you could still understand him, "Unbleevable!" Gophers pull off a major upset and beat #4 Penn St. in a thriller! Some buddies were at the game so we were texting back & forth.  TCF was electric today. Gophers got some breaks but so did Penn St. All for naught. Gophers win 31-26 and are unbeaten atop the B1G west. 9-0 for the first time since 1904. That's all that matters.  :happy1: Now on to Iowa next week to avenge the loss from last year. Time to get Floyd back!  :cool:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
As Sid Hartman used to say when you could still understand him, "Unbleevable!" Gophers pull off a major upset and beat #4 Penn St. in a thriller! Some buddies were at the game so we were texting back & forth.  TCF was electric today. Gophers got some breaks but so did Penn St. All for naught. Gophers win 31-26 and are unbeaten atop the B1G west. 9-0 for the first time since 1904. That's all that matters.  :happy1: Now on to Iowa next week to avenge the loss from last year. Time to get Floyd back!  :cool:
:happy1: :scratch: Careful, I smell an ambush. ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes and as Sid also used to say.  "They are all close personal friends of mine".    What a great game.   :happy1: :happy1:  I see Fleck and Pete Carroll being similar.  They all thought having Carroll as a Head Coach was out of his league.  He is a little superstitious and has his quirks and that is what makes him different in a good way.  I see PJ being so positive that is hard to believe but he is making it work.  That is great too! 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After the Jeez O Beez O & Timmy Brewster experiences I thought oh boy, here we go again. So far PJ has pulled it off. His positivity is unreal and he's got the players to buy in. He's not afraid to discipline people either if they screw up even if it means putting the team at a disadvantage. Interesting cat. If he continues to have success I see another Lou Hoax in the making. Could an ambush at Iowa City happen? Sure. Can happen anywhere. Just ask Bucky!  :shocked: The pig has resided in Iowa the past 4 years. No doubt PJ wants Floyd back in MN, bad, after the beatdown they got last year at home.     
« Last Edit: November 11/10/19, 08:42:08 AM by Dotch »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :crazy: game yday. The Hawks had 'em off balance the 1st half & made it look easy. The 2nd half was quite the opposite & I thought for sure the Gophers were going to come back & take it. A lot of big plays by both teams on both sides of the ball, heck of a game. Too bad somebody had to lose, hope Morgan isn't hurt too bad & that they beat Bucky. Hawks gave it their best shot but fell a couple plays short on that 1. :pouty: Fleck looks like he's starting to build something good up there. :cool:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree. That officiating crew yesterday didn't look like they knew if they were afoot or horseback either much of the game with bad calls or non-calls on both teams. A lot of holding non-calls on IA in the first half and pass interference on MN that wasn't called that should've been. Plus that crew couldn't spot the ball to save their souls.

No doubt Fleck has something going on. There were reputedly 50 potential recruits at the Penn St. game so that couldn't have hurt. Some pretty good redshirts that could've played this year but PJ wanted to honor the loyalty of the guys who played under Claeys. Good move on his part. Now if we can just hang onto him. The ghost of Lou Hoax still lurks in many Gopher minds... :shocked:   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I read on another site, IDO, that Fleck ran onto the field and got a penalty????? they sure were yacking that up over there?????? :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's when the off setting penalties happened..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I read on another site, IDO, that Fleck ran onto the field and got a penalty????? they sure were yacking that up over there?????? :scratch: :scratch:
Big penalty at a crucial point in the game. :tut: Hawks would've had to punt from deep in their own end zone but that penalty gave 'em a first down. Gophers were rollin 'bout then & gettin the ball near mid - field they might've went right down & scored like they did early in the 3rd quarter. Old Mo is fickle & that series could've easily changed the whole game. :crazy:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
that's when the off setting penalties happened..
It was 2 Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties that strangely because they happened so far apart weren't off setting. :scratch: 1st penalty was on Ia & cost them 1/2 the distance to the goal line(~1.5 yds), 2nd was on PJ & cost them 15 yards. Never knew of that 1.  :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Ya, those baffled me...and Iowa got the first down outta that one.... :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so how does everyone thing the rodents will do today??????? i'm impressed with how that program has come along, but I still don't think there in the same league as Auburn.

I see them getting beat by 20. hope i'm wrong. I win would really help the recruiting a bunch!!!!!!!

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
so how does everyone thing the rodents will do today??????? i'm impressed with how that program has come along, but I still don't think there in the same league as Auburn.

I see them getting beat by 20. hope i'm wrong. I win would really help the recruiting a bunch!!!!!!!
Not looking too good right now.  10-3 Auburn.

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Tied again now 10-10

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
24-17 Gophers at half...Wow, what a catch for the go ahead TD!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
OMG WHAT a friggin awesome catch. I can't believe how well the gophers are playing. :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Unbelievable. I would if never thunk it. :happy1: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
That catch from #85 on 4th down to try to get in FG range at the end was awesome. Great game, might be the best they played all year. :happy1: :cool:

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Awesome victory!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Now that was a good game!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
That catch from #85 on 4th down to try to get in FG range at the end was awesome. Great game, might be the best they played all year. :happy1: :cool:
They might've  :scratch: even beat the Hawks if they'd played like that.  :evil: ;) :smiley: 1st 11 win season since 1905, thought I heard 'em say. :Clap: :bow:

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Ski-U-freeking-Mah :happy1: :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife and I became Gopher fans about 5 or 6 years ago.  Great Saturday fun.  Man they just plain looked like a tough and like good team all of the way today.   :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I was 3 when the Gophers played in their last Rose Bowl. Started keeping up with them when my brother attended the U in the late 60's. Became a fan in high school when we performed at half time as part of a high school band invitational program. We sat in bleachers set up on the open end. It was a cold, nasty day. Think that was probably my first experience with graupel too... :rotflmao: When I attended the U, I had season tickets the first couple years at Memorial Stadium. Tony Dungy was quarterback & they were fun to watch. Today's been a long time coming. They played well, with authority and truly made the state proud.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: January 01/02/20, 11:01:50 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
What instrument did you play in the band?! :scratch: the blow horn. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman