Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: American Folklore...  (Read 5113 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
There are quite a few woolly bear caterpillars out and about today! According to folklore, the amount of black vs. brown on the caterpillar can help "predict" the severity of winter. The longer the woolly bear's black bands, the colder, snowier, and more severe the winter will be. Whereas the wider the middle brown band, the milder the upcoming winter. Here are a few we found around the office... not sure what to predict from this variety. 😬 What kind of woolly bear caterpillars have you seen?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice to know about that.  So far I haven't seen one.  Usualy see a few out front of my house.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would like to think that is a wide brown band meaning a milder winter. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I wanna find with with vertical stripes. That means a dry heat waves comin'.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to have an old school weather guy on the Mason City channel that talked about the woolly caterpillars every year 'bout this time. He was usually quoting The Farmers Almanac a lot too. Most people kind of laughed at him :crazy: :doofus: but lookin back, I think he might've :scratch: been more accurate than a lot of 'em doin it now.  :rolleyes:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Heck, my skwirrels are more accurate than them. Frantic nut burying = bad winter.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Heck, my skwirrels are more accurate than them. Frantic nut burying = bad winter.
We've noticed how those little red SOB's will climb the big pines on the north side & knock a dozen pine cones down too, Reb. Had to be a little careful workin under 'em as they would be bombin ya. Then they'd come down, eat a little off each 1 & carry 'em off to stash 'em in the woods. :crazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those rotten little imps! They chewed clean thru my buddy's shed ROOF and soffit to get inside, then ravaged and wrecked all the xmas decoration stored in there. Chewed everything to pieces! Lights, tree, you name it.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
with the bird feeders up at the cabin we get them red skuerrls too!!!!!!! they appear to have an iron deficiency..........so we give them a shot of lead!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

on another note, i've been setting mouse traps since we started bear baiting........i'm between 20 and 25 currently!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Best "folklore" I've seen that is accurate is when the geese and other birds start flying and flocking. We know they do that before a storm....flit around and perch in the trees.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey Reb!!  that last post is number 20,000!!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hey Reb!!  that last post is number 20,000!!!!   :happy1:
of useless information!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning: :evil: :rolleyes:

seriously congrats bud!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O....thanks! hey Leech, do I get a hat?  :rotflmao: Actually, I don't really care , just like having fun. Besides, half the posts were retorts to Glenn anyway...... :moon:   :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
O....thanks! hey Leech, do I get a hat?  :rotflmao: Actually, I don't really care , just like having fun. Besides, half the posts were retorts to Glenn anyway...... :moon:   :rotflmao:
only half?????????? :scratch: :doah: :pouty: :doofus: :doofus: :surrender: :surrender: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
another old folklore was to look how far out the muskrats are building there mounds and how big they were. :doah: :scratch: :scratch:

if the amount of black walnuts on my tree are any indication, this winter's gonna be a barn burner. most walnuts i've ever had. and rebs pet skuerrels got my lawn pretty well areated. i hate to see thiis spring how many walnut trees sprout. :scratch: :scratch: :doah:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Hey! Free hat? Who do you think you are, a farmer or something?  :rotflmao: Seriously, congrats!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No green DeKalb hats, please.  :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
or JD either!!! :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
No green DeKalb hats, please.  :rotflmao:
one would think a DUNCE  hat would most appropriate for you!!!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :rolleyes: :cool: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You just keep it up!!  I'm gonna hire Mikey and his biker buds to flatten you!!  :cool:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You just keep it up!!  I'm gonna hire Mikey and his biker buds to flatten you!!  :cool:
:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Quick, some one, I need a picture of the wallymart bovine carts!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm not sure what, or whom....But, I'm seeing large cashes of acorns in the barn. I have never seen piles of anything in the barn except for cow patties....  :rotflmao:

Could be mice, rats or squirrels...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, grays usually bury or eat, rats don't stockpile so much...I"d say mice or those rotten little pine skwirrels.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, grays usually bury or eat, rats don't stockpile so much...I"d say mice or those rotten little pine skwirrels.
Tend to agree with Reb, maybe Chipmunks?? Ya know Alvin and the gang!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Chippies will usually stockpile in their den, underground....so it's rare to see their piles.
« Last Edit: October 10/09/19, 07:10:21 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I bettin it's those little red SOB"s as we seem to get quite a few acorns in some of the compartments of the boats some seasons, if we don't use an ample supply of moth balls and/or drier sheets. Could be Alvin & Theodore as there's some of them runnin around out there too but it seems the squrrels like it more.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm goin' with the reds, too.  :fudd:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
One year when we were at our cabin before I had moved to Ottertail we were leaving to go home and our new van smelled like smoke as it was warming up.  I walked around and here the darn chippies had filled the muffler up with acorns in 2 days.  I kept goosing it and acorns were blowing out.  I got 3/4 of an ice cream pail of them.  Happened once with my motorhome there too.  I started shooting the cute little buggers after that. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
"Chestnuts roasting over an open fire".......dume dee doo.... :rotflmao:

October weather lore....

Rain in October

Means wind in December.

When birds and badgers are fat in October,

Expect a cold winter

When berries are many in October

Beware a hard winter.

"Squirrels gathering nuts in a flurry,

Will cause snow to gather in a hurry."

Onions or cornhusks have thicker than normal skins.

Leaves fall from the trees late in the year.

Green leaves falling mean a mild winter.

Persimmon Seeds

A persimmon's seeds are thought to foretell the type of winter expected. Carefully cut the seeds open lengthwise. What do you see inside?

A spoon-shaped pattern is said to represent a shovel for all of the heavy, wet snow to come.
A knife signals a cold, icy winter with cutting winds.
If a fork is visible, it means that a generally mild winter with only light powdery snow can be expected.
While it makes no difference if the persimmon is picked or purchased, it must be locally grown—otherwise, you'll be getting results for a region other than your own.

« Last Edit: October 10/10/19, 08:18:00 AM by Rebel SS »