Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What to do on a rainy day at the cabin?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My oldest son and I made the drive over from the Black Hills to our families cabin (by Waskish) and arrived early Friday morning. My parents and my aunt & uncle also were there. We went out to our hunting land and put out a couple 2-man portables, made sure our permanent stands were sound, cleared some shooting lanes, check the game cameras but continually fought a very rainy weekend. So, I left my phone in the truck to stay dry and didn't take any photos to share here. Our clover food plots look good and the cameras are showing lots of activity.

It was pouring for most of Saturday afternoon, so we decided to construct an enclosed stand for my youngest daughter (who will be sitting by herself for the first time this fall). We plan to elevate this stand about 5-6' off the ground once it is complete. I have some 6"x6" 10 foot green treated timbers we'll use to make the elevated base. We made the stand so the top comes off, and each of the four walls are independent from each other. That way we can assemble it with screws one wall at a time out in the woods. The floor and ceiling are 1/2" plywood. The walls are framed out with 2x4's with 1/4" plywood over the top. We have the door framed out and plywood cut down but it's not attached yet. I will most likely frame out windows that are hinged on top to lift and prop open when someone is in the stand. That way it will keep the snow and rain out of the inside since I only used treated lumber on the base. We have some rubber roofing to attached to the roof also. My parents will paint the outside next weekend. Then we'll get it set up in the wood the weekend after that. Each wall is surprisingly light to carry, one person can easily lift them. The front is 6 feet tall, that rear side (where the door is) is 5'6". So hopefully a 6" drop will help for the water to run off.

« Last Edit: October 10/08/19, 10:48:04 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Can't remember where I saw it but someone had one of those big spools that cable comes on.  They had their deer stand sitting on that.  Looked pretty easy. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Adult playhouse for your daughter!   :happy1:

Good thinkin

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Adult playhouse for your daughter!   :happy1:

Good thinkin

This will be her third year hunting and she wants to sit by herself. I also want to make sure she is comfortable.  :happy1:
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Heck, I thought you were making a Sauna with the nice plywood you were using?   :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
She will love it!!!  Very nice of you to do this.  good luck.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I've let her use the little buddle heater in the ground blind the past couple years. So, she will want to use it in this new stand this year too.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Lifetime memories made right there.  good luck.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Really nice work there.  There are lots of places that only need a slight elevation to be effective.  Good luck to her.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***