Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Food!  (Read 5679 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
No wild fungus picking fer me either,  the in laws found out the hard way of eating some on an empty stomach with alcohol... stopping lots to  :puke: along  the way to the clinic.. :crazy:

O man...they come out OK?!! The only ones I pick look like this...
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: me to Reb. :happy1: we have a mushroom place just up the road and never stop there. I gotta get that on my bucket list. :happy1:

what do ya mean, they grow them there?
Don't know for sure, never been there but think so. It's up in the area of Thompson greenhouse.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
check it out!!!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
 :doofus:  Like wow man..............uhhhh.....
« Last Edit: October 10/20/19, 08:57:07 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
One just anticipates seeing a little blue woodland creature pop up at any minute!  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I didn't know I have psychotic mushrooms on my land.  Go figure.  However, I am not inclined to try them.   :rotflmao:
See my pictures and ones posted by Rebel SS.

Several varieties of Amanita muscaria have been described. Amanita muscaria var. alba is a rare white form of the Fly Agaric, while Amanita muscaria var. regalis is a brown (rather than red) form of that many authorities now treat as a separate species Amanita regalis. Amanita muscaria var, formosa is familiar to people on North America; it has a yellow or orange-yellow cap with yellowish warts, and a yellowish stem.
No mushroom has gathered unto it more folklore and mythology than this white-spotted fairytale fungus. Many people who have never seen a Fly Agaric are under the illusion that it is a fictitious produce of a fertile or confused mind, and that it is simply pictured to intrigue children. If you believe in fairies, it's not too big a leap to give credence to the existence of a red-and-white mushroom so exquisitely patterned; otherwise you may be excused from harbouring doubts about the existence of the Fly Agaric, at least until you have seen one while stone cold sober!
Psychoactive alkaloid content of Amanita muscaria
The Fly Agaric can contain the psychoactive chemical compounds ibotenic acid and muscimol as well as muscazone and muscarine (but they may not always be in significant concentrations). These are not the same as the psychoactive chemicals associated with the Liberty Cap, Psilocybe semilanceata, which is the most common (in Britain) of the so-called Magic Mushrooms; that little grassland mushroom gets (gives!) its kicks from quite different psychoactive compounds: psilocybin and baeocystin. Nevertheless, some people do still insist on referring to the Fly Agaric as a magic mushroom.
The psychoactive compounds contained in Fly Agarics are also toxins, and that means that this is a poisonous mushroom, at least to some degree. Eating dried Fly Agarics can cause a range of symptoms ranging from drowsiness, nausea and sweating to distorted sight and sounds, euphoria and dizziness. These effects are very variable not only from person to person but also with the quantity consumed and the (equally variable) strength of the toxins in individual specimens of the Fly Agaric.
It is quite possible, although documentary evidence is not conclusive, that deaths may have been caused by using Amanita muscaria as a 'recreational drug'. What is beyond dispute is the fact that the Fly Agaric has been known to cause severe and violent stomach upsets if it is eaten raw.
Mythology
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I've never seen a fairy (not with wings, anyway) and I've never seen one of those m'rooms, either! Nature seems to mark nasty things with bright colors sometimes......like poisonous  dart frogs, coral snakes, blue-ring octopus, etc. Seems true on some plant species, too. But, not always.......

https://youtu.be/lZZH2FpU5fw
« Last Edit: October 10/20/19, 09:49:48 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that makes me want to never pick a mushroom. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting.... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!