Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Rochester residents................  (Read 9021 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
do you know anything about a place called Franklin heating station????????????

i guess are field construction union thugs might be doing some work down there??????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sure do!!! Been in there many times! Updates are in progress.....
Mayo prepares to update boilers and generators at the Franklin Heating Station, 119 Third Street Southwest. The plan calls for replacing four natural gas boilers with three new boilers and replacing two diesel generators at the plant.......

Whaddya wanna know?
« Last Edit: October 10/18/19, 04:06:24 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
In my  almost 13 years at the hall I never heard of our guys working there is all.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's cuz they're MAYO facilities engineering guys. Non-union. I still run around with a lot of facilities guys.
« Last Edit: October 10/18/19, 08:18:01 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It all depends on the contractor that is awarded the work. If there a union contactor and signatory to our local, they hire our field guys.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: October 10/19/19, 05:57:00 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :popcorn:                                                :scratch:  ;) :smiley:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Whatever.
Not sure why you edited this Reb, but I'd like to hear it. Not trying to be combative, just trying to explain how our field construction works. :scratch:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not an issue. Was comment on non-union facilities guys, not sure all are . that's all. If I'm not sure, I don't post.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, it probably has been more than 13 years since they did anything major to that facility.    Mayo has had a heating and generating plant for a very long time.  Now, I think they get steam from the county waste to energy plant along with what they do themselves.   

Likewise electricity, since they need backup for the grid as a minimum.   They may even have two facilities now that I think about it.   One down near second street in SW, and another over near Charter House and Methodist hospital.    I figure reb will know so I won't bother to look it up.   :tongue:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yer pretty much right on, Del.
« Last Edit: October 10/19/19, 12:42:49 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: good info from da both of you. Thanks. :happy1: if I remember correctly I think there converting there boilers to gas

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: :happy1: good info from da both of you. Thanks. :happy1: if I remember correctly I think there converting there boilers to gas

Eat more beans... :sleazy: :mooning:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
There' that sewer gas problem again.....

August, 2019

By Reb the "Scoop"  :reporter;

Mayo air permit causes clouds of concern

Mayo Clinic officials are trying to clear the air about their request to modify its emissions permit.

A request to modify the clinic’s air emissions permit filed with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency asks to allow an increase of emissions by more than 250,000 tons per year.

The permit change request comes as Mayo prepares to update boilers and generators at the Franklin Heating Station, 119 Third Street Southwest. The plan calls for replacing four natural gas boilers with three new boilers and replacing two diesel generators at the plant.

The clinic filed a permit that outlines net emissions increases of more than 202,000 tons per year of carbon dioxide equivalents, 47 tons per year of carbon monoxide; 35 tons per year of nitrogen oxide and about 25 tons per year of fine particulate matter.

The amendment shows a net increase in emissions
over the highest actual emissions from the facility over the last 10 years, according to Minnesota Pollution Control officials. The emission estimates are based on running all boilers and generators at full capacity all day, every day, over the year.

“The increase is defined as the potential to emit versus the historic actuals from the plant,” said Brett Gorden, who is responsible for energy management on the Rochester campus.

Most of the time, Mayo runs with one boiler offline in case of a surge in need. The diesel generators are mostly fired up one hour a month for testing and four hours of testing once a year. Otherwise, the most common use of the diesel is when Rochester Public Utilities, which provides electricity to some parts of Mayo, asks for energy curtailment during peak usage times.

Under the emissions amendment, Mayo’s new allowable emissions limit will be 27 percent less than its current permit, Gorden said. The new boilers will also run at a higher efficiency. Gorden said he predicts the plant to run at about 39 percent below the 10-year historic actual emissions.

Two of the natural gas boilers being replaced were installed in 1952, the other two were installed in 1967.

“They’ve run their useful life,” Gorden said.

The new boilers will run at 85 percent efficiency compared to the 67 percent efficiency of the boiler in place.

Rick Morris, Rochester clean energy organizer for Sierra Club’s North Star Chapter, said he understands the power plant will be more efficient than a first glance at the permit might indicate. However, he said he is concerned that the change carries forward commitment to fossil fuels without any public input.

To meet its downtown power demand, Mayo Clinic produces 30 megawatts of power. That’s about the size of many rural utility companies. Morris noted utility companies that are building or replacing generation capacity are required to prioritize renewable energy sources over fossil fuels under the Clean Energy First Act. As a private company, Mayo Clinic is not beholden to the requirement. Under the act, utility companies adding fossil fuel capacity need to demonstrate it’s necessary to ensure reliable, affordable electricity.

“We would like to see more transparency to see if Mayo Clinic did the same due diligence a small-town utility would have had to do,” Morris said.

Gorden said generating that much power in a downtown setting eliminates most conventional renewable sources. The Damon Parking Ramp downtown has solar panels on the roof that generate 145 kilowatts of power — about enough to power the building most days. To meet Mayo’s downtown needs, they would need about 200 more of those.

“That’s a lot of solar panels,” Gorden said.

« Last Edit: October 10/20/19, 08:13:50 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY GLENN!!!!!!!!!!!!!Look above!!!
« Last Edit: October 10/20/19, 08:09:43 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY GLENN!!!!!!!!!!!!!Look above!!!
  :rotflmao: Yea I read it last nite.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wondermous! More info for yer chronicles!  :laugh:    Del, get readin'!!!!
« Last Edit: October 10/20/19, 09:29:26 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Wondermous! More info for yer chronicles!  :laugh:    Del, get readin'!!!!

What?  You want Mayo to go cover some cornfields with windmills and solar cells?    Put them on your roof?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Whos talking solar panels? I'm not. Yer off track again. Look at the GENERATOR PICS.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Article you linked was whining about Mayo not having to meet the "renewable energy" "goals" required of small towns with equivalent  generation capability.     

So I made a suggestion about what Mayo could do to alleviate the issue, although it would hurt housing availability to cover all that land in solar panels.   

Read today's strib about the housing issues around Rochester...  Basically folks are buying in Dodge county or Fillmore county because Rochester "doesn't want sprawl" so they are making it very difficult  to build single family houses.   They want us all living in concrete Soviet style highrises because woke.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

concrete Soviet style highrises because woke.

Becuz what?  :scratch:  But ya, I know that. CAWchester has tuned into a friggin' hierarchy controlled town. When do we start the book burning and planned bloodline pregnancies?

I really don' want any part of it, and I know a lot of other folks are finally waking up and seeing that. I sure hear it a lot from people about what's really goin on in this town. Read the article a few weeks with the insight from Judge Kevin Lund and my buddy John Kruesel. They tell it like it is, and they're right. Both life-long CAWchester residents.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Because they are "woke" and know that "sprawl" and single family homes are an offense against Gaia...   And evil and contribute to all sorts of bad schifft.   

Where was this article?   PB?   I'll have to see if any of my browsers on any of my devices can get to it behind the paywall.   Subscribed for years, but holding off now since there is nothing to it anymore.   Like 5 pages...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Beyond the paywall? You don't know how to bypass that trick?  Delmar!  :whistling: Boy, I gotta do everything for ya...here it is, the article, back from three weeks ago in the PB.. Ala Reb ....who bypassed the paywall for about the 3rd time today.

The Dissenters

Judge Kevin Lund and businessman John Kruesel have never been fans of Destination Medical Center, the $5 billion economic development initiative approved by the Legislature in 2013.

And nothing they have seen in the last six years has altered their dissent.

For Lund, a historic preservation advocate and a district judge, the problem goes back to the way DMC was packaged, marketed and sold. DMC was based on the idea that Rochester had to be transformed to ensure Mayo Clinic's relevance as a global health care entity. That premise was false, Lund said.

The clinic has always been a first-class health care center, and DMC or its absence was never going to change that, he said.

RELATED:

Rochester, where art thou? Is small-town Rochester growing too fast?

Can small business survive in downtown Rochester?

This sense that somehow the city and, more particularly, the clinic was on the verge of becoming irrelevant without this Destination Medical Center — it's a huge fallacy," said Lund, a lifelong resident.

"I've never understood how all of a sudden we became so panic-stricken that we needed this, in order to maintain our standing in the medical health care community. We did fine. We've always done exceptionally well."

Small-town feel

Lund and Kruesel both fear that Rochester is at risk of losing qualities that have made the city unique and distinctive. There is a small-town feel to Rochester that is gradually being lost, a personal touch that its mom-and-pop shops specialize in that is being eroded.

"I don't mean to sound like 'Ozzie and Harriett,' but these small unique businesses are the life-blood of the community. That's what built Rochester. Rochester was not built by the Mayo Clinic," Lund said.

Lund said the evidence is already accumulating that development — "growth on steriods" is how Kruesel describes it — is destroying the city's identity from an architectural standpoint. He says the new apartment buildings that have been built are indistinguishable from one another. They all look the same.  And he questions the appropriateness of certain development and hotel projects for a city Rochester's size.

Lund calls Bloom International Realty's defunct Riverfront Towers, a downtown project that was to include two towers — one 20 stories, the other 28 — a case in point. He calls it the "best thing that's never happened in this community." It was "absolutely obnoxious in terms of its scale."

He said such proposals underscore a frustration that many in the community express when they talk to him about DMC: The sense that elected officials are not in control of the situation.

"You just don't blindly genuflect to Mayo Clinic administration, but that's what's happening," Lund said. "Has there ever been a dissenting vote in anything that has appeared before the Destination Medical Corporation Board? Has there ever been any vibrant, robust debate?"

Is growth sustainable?

Lund said he is convinced that there is a segment of the population that does not approve the direction the city is taking under DMC. But, unfortunately, "that ship has sailed. The cow is out the barn."

But he questions whether the growth trajectory Rochester is on is sustainable.

"My opinion is based on my life experience and what, I think, is important in the life of a community," Lund said. "And I've concluded that history does matter, and the path we're on ignores the rich history that we have. And that we're going to look like every other town."
« Last Edit: October 10/20/19, 08:03:05 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Historic Preservationist.  That says it all.

In 1950s they got all upset at I B M coming to town. 

« Last Edit: October 10/21/19, 07:32:48 AM by delcecchi »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm not that ancient that I can remember.  IBM was built in a cornfield/open land on the edge of town, they didn't boot people and raise taxes and decimate an entire downtown with peoples money to build needless high-rise hotels. Two completely different scenarios.
« Last Edit: October 10/21/19, 10:55:04 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
But the upper crust was disturbed with the beemers not giving a rip that their daddy was Dr so and so and also providing good jobs for the plebes and their wives so that it was harder to hire servants etc.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
In a matter of years, it'll look like Orbit City in the Jetson's anyway.