Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Oooh, that's a hot pepper!  (Read 16206 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
keep them away too!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I once had an uncomfortable lapse of judgment at the urinal after cleaning a batch of Anaheims (only 500 to 2500 Scoville units).   :embarrassed:

I can't imagine what would have happened if I'd been handling any reapers or scotch bonnets or anything worse.   :doah:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I bet you'd be posting in the medical thread right now if ya had.  :rotflmao:  :doah:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
There are 5 or 6 peppers hotter than the Carolina Reaper since that chart came out.

Whaddya do with those?! Weld stuff?  :rotflmao:

What you do is sell seeds to the rest of the fools who want to grow them..  It is like those thousand pound pumpkins.....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Because they like super hot peppers they're fools?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Geez Del.  Things were going so smooth and now you pissed him off.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

In my book.  What does one do with some pepper that is a million scoville units?   Eat it for the flavor, fruity notes?    :crazy:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Geez Del.  Things were going so smooth and now you pissed him off.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Oh oh.... :crazy: :pouty:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Oh oh.... :crazy: :pouty:

Nope, not me! I was just gonna ask him what does one do with a warm boiled steak?   :confused:
« Last Edit: October 10/22/19, 04:56:26 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I once had an uncomfortable lapse of judgment at the urinal after cleaning a batch of Anaheims (only 500 to 2500 Scoville units).   :embarrassed:

I can't imagine what would have happened if I'd been handling any reapers or scotch bonnets or anything worse.   :doah:

Lol, that's why I started wearing gloves, dust mask and goggles when drying and grinding!   :bonk: :bonk:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
There are 5 or 6 peppers hotter than the Carolina Reaper since that chart came out.

MAKE SALSA! OH LAY!!!!  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch:

I didn't say it......

What you do is sell seeds to the rest of the fools who want to grow them..  It is like those thousand pound pumpkins.....
« Last Edit: October 10/22/19, 05:30:30 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty much, since they are so hot only a miniscule part of the American population could even stand to lick one.   Now those guys from southern India I used to work with, ....

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty much been explained that you use them in pepper sauce or salsa rather than eating whole.   derp

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wait, I wanna hear about the fools in India.........................

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty much been explained that you use them in pepper sauce or salsa rather than eating whole.   derp

Exactly!  It really doesn't matter how hot a pepper is it's how much you use.  When I make chili I put a dry fork in the powder and what ever comes up on the fork ends is all that's needed.  Yes they are crazy hot and that's also why I will have enough hot stuff to use for years out of just few plants of each kind.  My relatives said my salsa was Great!   :happy1:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
They weren't fools nor were they in India.   But they did eat some sort of asian hot stuff I had bought and couldn't handle more than a drop on a serving of rice like it was chip dip at our holiday pot luck...

But Leech just made my point... seems silly to have a pepper that has so much capsaicin that it contributes nothing but heat to the dish.     If that's what you want, just extract it from regular hot peppers.    This whole searing super hot pepper seems like an American weirdness of some kind.   

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

But Leech just made my point... seems silly to have a pepper that has so much capsaicin that it contributes nothing but heat to the dish.     If that's what you want, just extract it from regular hot peppers.    This whole searing super hot pepper seems like an American weirdness of some kind.

Well, you could call it silly or a great way to save money if you use some heat in your cooking like some of us do.
When some bottles of hot sauce can cost $3.50 to $8.00 bucks and I can buy a Reaper pepper plant at a garden center in the spring for $3.50.  Then make enough hot sauce equal to 10 or more bottles.  You do the math!  :coffee:

« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 11:48:56 AM by Leech~~ »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny though how he doesn't think letting a good steak in a bag sit in warm water for hours, THEN grilling it isn't weird. Mine takes 4 minutes per side for perfection.
Don't need to do the math.  :bonk:
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 08:08:47 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Well, you could call it silly or or a great way to save money if you use some heat in your cooking like some of us do.
When some bottles of hot sauce can cost $3.50 to $8.00 bucks and I can buy a Reaper pepper plant at a garden center in the spring for $3.50.  Then make enough hot sauce equal to 10 or more bottles.  You do the math!  :coffee:

Seriously, do you find that they lose their heat/taste after sitting for a long time? The ones I dried and ground seemed to just kinda fade away...
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 09:00:40 AM by Rebel SS »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
In a way the hot peppers remind me a lot of you Del:
"A little bit of them goes a long ways".

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 09:55:57 AM by Rebel SS »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The recipes make it sound good! I've never had it. A fool like me ought to try it.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman