Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Oooh, that's a hot pepper!  (Read 16280 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I use crushed red pepper in my sausage and some meals.  But then I use this crushed red pepper from China/South Korea.  The peppers are grown in China but are processed in South Korea.  The ingredients just say red pepper, but I have to say this product not only gives you some heat [but not as much as domestic red pepper] but also gives you a certain flavor you just don't find in most hot pepper where all you notice is the hear.  I use this a lot in kimchi which is a must have to make it turn out the way it does.  I asked the Korean guy where I get this what kind of peppers are these and he didn't know or didn't want to tell me in case I want to grow my own.  I will find out.  There is a 800 number there for questions.  good luck.

« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 10:14:33 AM by Reinhard »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Reb, I was wondering about the taste difference.  They take the seeds out before drying.  Where domestic crushed pepper has the seeds.  The peppers also have some sweetness so there is the difference in flavor that I was wondering about.  At the store where I go [Seoul Foods of 65 Spring Lake Park],  They have the Chinese and the Korean hot pepper.  When I got this bag in the pic, they were out of the pure Korean stuff so I got the one that was where the peppers were grown in CHina but processed in Korea.  I do prefer the pure Korean but they are close.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I do know from growing lots of varieties over the years, that even weather/sun conditions will change the taste of peppers, as will the soil they're planted in.
And don't put 'em in a microwave. *ZZZZT*  :bonk:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Seriously, do you find that they lose their heat/taste after sitting for a long time? The ones I dried and ground seemed to just kinda fade away...

At a million Scovilles, not sure it would be an issue if they lost a tad?  :confused: 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  Ya, I 'spose... :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
No Way!  What kind of fool do you think I am.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   :sleazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, I'd say...        Oh, never mind.   :bonk: :rotflmao:   🌶
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 01:41:38 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Apparently, they're not from India............ :scratch:

« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 01:47:51 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :doofus: :doofus: :crazy: :crazy: what a stoopid video. girls where stoopid  trying and whomever dared them should be arrested. :confused: :confused: :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny though how he doesn't think letting a good steak in a bag sit in warm water for hours, THEN grilling it isn't weird. Mine takes 4 minutes per side for perfection.
Don't need to do the math.  :bonk:

Perfection my patoot.   Big chunk of overcooked meat with a small piece of correctly cooked in the middle.   
I'm starting to think you wouldn't know perfection if it bit you on the  :mooning:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Reb, I was wondering about the taste difference.  They take the seeds out before drying.  Where domestic crushed pepper has the seeds.  The peppers also have some sweetness so there is the difference in flavor that I was wondering about.  At the store where I go [Seoul Foods of 65 Spring Lake Park],  They have the Chinese and the Korean hot pepper.  When I got this bag in the pic, they were out of the pure Korean stuff so I got the one that was where the peppers were grown in CHina but processed in Korea.  I do prefer the pure Korean but they are close.  good luck.

Of course if the peppers were a million scoville units and you could only use 1 milligram without melting your face off, flavor wouldn't be a factor.    :crazy:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Everything in moderation right.  I don't know about the rating for the Korean peppers.  Without the seeds like I have them it probably ain't that much.  I have noticed for years that this particular ground pepper is milder than any other red pepper that I have ever had.  I have to add more to kimchi for example that I would with domestic crushed pepper.  It always had that special flavor added that no other pepper ever had.  Other peppers have just the heat.  The site that Reb posted showed that this pepper has some sweetness to it and is a must for folks in Korea for their dishes.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny though how he doesn't think letting a good steak in a bag sit in warm water for hours, THEN grilling it isn't weird. Mine takes 4 minutes per side for perfection.

Perfection my patoot.   Big chunk of overcooked meat with a small piece of correctly cooked in the middle.   
I'm starting to think you wouldn't know perfection if it bit you on the  :mooning:

Something's overcooked, that's for sure. You souse a steak, then do what with it? Put it ON THE GRILL?  Hmmmmm..... OK. That makes sense. I fear some of those pathogens swimming in that bag may have addled yer thinking.....just wanna make sure ya don't get sick, ya know. Best grill that steak. On the charcoal grill. Seared quickly.    :tongue:
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 06:49:52 PM by Rebel SS »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Something's overcooked, that's for sure. You souse a steak, then do what with it? Put it ON THE GRILL?  Hmmmmm..... OK. That makes sense. I fear some of those pathogens swimming in that bag may have addled yer thinking.....just wanna make sure ya don't get sic, ya know. Best grill that steak. On the charcoal grill. Seared quickly.    :tongue:

Gotta try and grill some of the goop off from it.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
All that popcorn's gonna give ya a tummy ache! Clean ya out good, though.  :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Charcoal is for us backyard grillers,  having a cold one standing around like it's the keg of the party. Pretty sure our steaks at a high binder joint or any steak place isn't cooked over charcoal.. just saying.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Actually Alexander's (a major upscale beef chain in IL) does grill over charcoal. You can grill 'em yourself or they have a chef do it for those of us who get tired of our wives chasing us around after the blessed event. Then they can chase the chef around so you can eat your steak in peace! Iowa Beef Steakhouse in Des Moines also grills over charcoal. While these places aren't Manny's, Murray's or Dierdorf and Hart's, I've had better steaks at Alexander's & Iowa Beef than I ever had at any of the high end places.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't look at the prices at Ruth's Chris steakhouse..... :doah:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've always wanted to eat at Manny's.  Great looking food on the website.  But would need a room close by after the big meal there.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
What was that place in the cities that had the butter knife steaks?? O wait, Eddie Websters...is that still there? I think in Bloomington?

I know Murrays has a butter knife steak, too..
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 07:59:43 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There was also a Manning's Steak House.  I have eaten there.  Many years ago and it was great.  Probably not even there anymore.  Manny's is very high end where the athletes go.  Manning's was a down home steak house that had great food at great prices.  Many people confused them whilst hearing of Manny's on the radio.
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 08:04:18 PM by LPS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I got it! See above!  :azn: Memory still works. Sometimes.
 I just looked at Murray's menu...holy cripes....butterknife steak for two.....$105... :shocked: :censored: :doah:
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 08:04:09 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yikes.  I bet it is pretty darn good though.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy, it better be! Musta been a real fancy 🐄.  My $3.99 pig chops work.   :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
There was also a Manning's Steak House.  I have eaten there.  Many years ago and it was great.  Probably not even there anymore.  Manny's is very high end where the athletes go.  Manning's was a down home steak house that had great food at great prices.  Many people confused them whilst hearing of Manny's on the radio.

Heck, I miss Mr Steak and Michaels! No steak places anymore in CAWchester. We sure could use one, but they ain't fancy enough for here.