Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Those out of the way places...  (Read 4976 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Since we had a thread started with Perkins as the main course, figured we'd start one about those lesser known little out of the way places and maybe some that aren't so out of the way that we like to go. I mention one of them in tomorrow's Fencelines. Will just note that The Trail Blazer in Madison Lake is one of those bar and grill destinations that's a nice drive in the Stude. Off US 14 and north a few miles on MN Hwy 60, it's about 45 minutes from where we live. Not going to compete with high end places but then it isn't meant to. Never realized they served breakfast Saturday & Sunday until a few years ago. Get there at 11 and stay to watch the Gophers or Vikes if you like. They've spruced it up since my pal Mike owned it and retired. Sunday food was very good and service was snappy even tho the place was pretty full. Bloody Mary would've tasted like another one if I hadn't been driving.   :scratch:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
So, just how out of the way you talking??? Just to get an idea how I can participate.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No smurfberry orchards!!!!!  :tut:  :rotflmao:

Seriously, we all get around to a lot of different parts of the state & surrounding states so it'd probably be wise unless someone is heading to Wyoming or something to start out with that. I live only 30 miles from IA so no problem. Some out of the way place on a few hour cruise? Kewl! Just use your discretion. Know someplace in a bigger town? Fine. Little two horse towns or not in a town at all? Fine too. The only thing I'd caution is it needs to actually be open. Reminiscing is fine too but keep in mind it's not going to feed someone if the place ain't open or in existence. For instance, there was a little dairy bar with 6 stools in Nashua IA we stopped at on Crop Tour back in Aug. Very clean, nostalgic and the food and equipment were of the 50's & early 60's time frame. Unfortunately for the first time in it's existence, it closes now in Oct. Would've been great fun to make a cruise that way but ran out of time. I get back there I might make a mention.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Seriously, we all get around to a lot of different parts of the state & surrounding states so it'd probably be wise unless someone is heading to Wyoming or something to start out with that. I live only 30 miles from IA so no problem. Some out of the way place on a few hour cruise? Kewl! Just use your discretion. Know someplace in a bigger town? Fine. Little two horse towns or not in a town at all? Fine too. The only thing I'd caution is it needs to actually be open. Reminiscing is fine too but keep in mind it's not going to feed someone if the place ain't open or in existence. For instance, there was a little dairy bar with 6 stools in Nashua IA we stopped at on Crop Tour back in Aug. Very clean, nostalgic and the food and equipment were of the 50's & early 60's time frame. Unfortunately for the first time in it's existence, it closes now in Oct. Would've been great fun to make a cruise that way but ran out of time. I get back there I might make a mention.
:crazy: :tut: gotcha... Putz! :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
there's a bar just outside Randall Minn, west 3 miles on Cty 14, that has some really good burgers!! it's about 40 miles or so away which is a nice drive!!  it's called Stone Hill Bar...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Last winter when we had to go to St. Paul for the wifes training we went to Moose Lake and then south on 35E.  Moose Lake is 4 hours from here so we were there at about noon each time.  We were hungry so stopped at the Lazy Moose for lunch.  It was GREAT!  Homemade breads, meatloaf, spaghetti, you name it.  They also had Senior portions and they were even a lot of food.  They sell cool pictures of wildlife, shirts, signs etc too.  Fun place and great service.  On the back of the menu it tells about how they try to do all of the cooking in house.  We will be back!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: Nashua, Ia., really Dotch? :doah: That's pretty close to my neighborhood, not more than 15- 20 minutes away. Is this place only 3-4 blocks off The Ave of the Saints & looks like a real small old DQ?
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well after lotz of thought here are my picks, for now.......... and not in any real preferential order either.

itasca county.......sportsmans..... deer river                     red wing..........liberty's
Toiuvi's .....grand rapids                                                                       the Bluffs
Rileys                                                                                                 Bierstube
gosh dam place
woodsmans......remer

cold spring area........winners bar and grill                                    fargo..........Ma and Pas diner
dinos lakeside on eden lake..........eden valley
400 club....pleasant lake
edy's on grand lake........rockville                                               peqout lakes................timberjack smokehouse and saloon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh I see, we are going for quantity..... 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh I see, we are going for quantity.....
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: naw.....i figured i'd save posting space!!!!!!!!!!!

but................did i win? :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh ya!  Although this is Dotch's deal so he calls the shots. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh ya!  Although this is Dotch's deal so he calls the shots.
man i'm screwed!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Up here we're a fan of Sportsmans in DR too. Lumberjack portion of good food that's reasonably priced. They're often quite busy but the service is usually awesome as we can be in & out in a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes tops, most of the time. Riley's over here by the big berg of Talmoon has good food too, we're especially a fan of their homemade pizza. We haven't ate at Gosh Dam Place in a while so can't say much about them. The mexican place, El Potro, in GR on Pokegama Ave (169) on top of the hill a few blocks south of the Mississippi is good too. To name a few.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Gotta stop into Bann's Supper Club in McGregor, when yer up there. The old fashioned supper club theme, seating, and food. Breakfast at 6:00 am, lunch, then dinner and drinks, when we did the tourneys. Outstanding home style food and service to match. Never a bad meal and have eaten there 15-20 times.
On the way to the cities, just off the highway in Hampton, haveta do Little Oscars for breakfast and lunch. Their thick-sliced smoky bacon is great, and their omelettes.
Not out of the way, but The Tavern on Grand in St. Paul on Grand avenue is  a must for beer-battered walleye..... :fish2:

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Rileys, heck I remember going there when it was called Cannibal Junction!!

Best wings   Harpos in Merrifield
Great breakfast      Ganleys in Nisswa
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Rileys, heck I remember going there when it was called Cannibal Junction!!

Best wings   Harpos in Merrifield
Great breakfast      Ganleys in Nisswa
us old timers still call it that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: There's still a sign out front that says that on it, heard it might've been sold when we over there last week.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just off hwy 52N in Zumbrota is the old Covered Bridge.....another great place.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: Nashua, Ia., really Dotch? :doah: That's pretty close to my neighborhood, not more than 15- 20 minutes away. Is this place only 3-4 blocks off The Ave of the Saints & looks like a real small old DQ?

That's the place. It was on Sample St. Dairy Treat Diner after I looked it up. Just a cracker box. How they managed to cram a bathroom into that place is beyond me. When we were there they said they'd close the end of Oct. so if you wanna head there you might have to hurry. Nice drive from here. Jump on 218 and jump off in Nashua. Take yer sweetie to the Little Brown Church in the Vale while yer at it & you'll score fer sure.  :happy1:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
If you like Mexican food the El Molino in Waseca is hard to beat. Also one of their former employees, Pablo, started a place called Mis Tres Flores on the south end of the main drag that is super also. The yellow mushroom just ain't what it use to be with the new owners.
Another one, more out of the way, is the Backyard Bar and Grill in Pemberton. Great food!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If yer ever way down in bluff country on a scenic drive, stop into the Aroma Pie Shoppe in Whalan, nestled down in the hills......unreal home-made pies. Sour cream raisin, Dutch apple, strawberry-rhubarb (That's heavenly) coconut creme.... :tongue: Was down there last year. Great scenic drive. On yer way back, stop at the Branding Iron on the hill in Preston. One of the last true supper clubs around, with terrific food to match. Beer batter shrimp and steak, ala surf 'n turf.  On the oval platters with the spiced apple ring, yet!  :happy1:
Was there this summer, still going strong after it closed and re-opened under new ownership.

I took a pic of the Aroma...
« Last Edit: October 10/22/19, 09:51:50 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
One of my favorites and if you like mexican was Chico's place on hwy 169 north of Milaca on the east side of the hwy. They had some good eats there.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
One of my favorites and if you like mexican was Chico's place on hwy 169 north of Milaca on the east side of the hwy. They had some good eats there.

I never stopped there because it was too close to home on the way out of town up north.  Never stopped on the way back because we were almost home.

Otherwise on other nights, we never went there for dinner because it was too far to drive.  Go figure.   :confused:

BUT... the parking lot is always full of cars.   :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i,ve seen that place on my adventures up 169 and always wondered about that place.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If you like Mexican food the El Molino in Waseca is hard to beat. Also one of their former employees, Pablo, started a place called Mis Tres Flores on the south end of the main drag that is super also. The yellow mushroom just ain't what it use to be with the new owners.
Another one, more out of the way, is the Backyard Bar and Grill in Pemberton. Great food!

Fairly blessed in this area for Mexican. El Molino is great. Huge portions, reasonably priced and I can make another meal out of the leftovers. I'll have to try the Mis Tres Flores. The Mexican outfit that was in that location before was good, fast and & cheap. Plaza Morena Campestre Grill in Owatonna is good as is Plaza Morena in Albert Lea. Hear good things about the Backyard B&G in Pemberton. Also the Boat House in Madison Lake on the south side of 60 down on the west side of the lake. New ownership. Wasn't all that impressed before but reputedly has good prime rib according to "reliable sources".

Last several times I was at Yellow Mushroom it's been decent. We do the pizza lunch buffet every few months & just stuff ourselves. Did Richard unload it or is he still the owner?  :scratch:
« Last Edit: October 10/22/19, 03:40:17 PM by Dotch »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Fairly blessed in this area for Mexican. El Molino is great. Huge portions and I can make another meal out of the leftovers. I'll have to try the Mis Tres Flores. The outfit that was in that location before was good, fast and & cheap. Plaza Morena Campestre Grill in Owatonna is good as is Plaza Morena in Albert Lea. Hear good things about the Backyard B&G in Pemberton. Also the Boat House in Madison Lake on the south side of 60 down on the west side of the lake. New ownership. Wasn't all that impressed before but reputedly has good prime rib according to "reliable sources".

Last several times I was at Yellow Mushroom it's been decent. We do the pizza lunch buffet every few months & just stuff ourselves. Did Richard unload it or is he still the owner?  :scratch:

He is still the "new owner".
LOL

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
like the car Dotch!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks mikey! One of glenn's 5 year old neighbors stopped by and showed me how to put a picture in there...  :happy1::rotflmao: