Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Buck on the prowl  (Read 2704 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This is a nice buck that Cody let go by on Saturday morning.  Looks pretty nice to me. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife would have been gutting it out for me if I saw that.   :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife would have been gutting it out for me if I saw that.   :rotflmao:

yea right!!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
deadeye, question............all your pictures from the stand down appear to be looking like the stands up in a nose bleed section.  :rotflmao: so in all reality how far up are these stands!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Nice buck!!!  I would have been really tempted.  Which stand?  New one?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's a fair question glenn57.  And a hard one to answer being the stands vary from 12 - 20 feet.  Remember, objects in the pictures appear to farther away than they really are.  For instance the little buck I posted pictures of yesterday was less than 20 yards from my stand.  If you look above his back you can see three pieces of orange flagging tape.  The one just over his back is 20 yards, the middle one is 30 and the far one is 40 yards.  About half of the metal ladder stands are the standard height they were designed for. Anywhere between 15-17 feet to the shooting rail.  The other half I added 3 - 4 feet of 4x4 to the bottom making them around 20 feet to the shooting rail. The permanent stands vary from 12 feet to 22 feet to the platform. 

This is probably 20 feet to the shooting rail. It has 3.5 foot extensions on the bottom. 

Probably 16 feet to the platform.

again around 16 feet.

Prior owner put this up (I told him where to put it) so it's normal 16 foot to rail.

No extensions 16 foot to the rail

View from a normal 16 foot to the rail metal stand. No extensions on this one.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
dakids, he was in the half moon on bucks ridge.  I though he was having too much fun so Saturday evening I put him in on that hasn't been used for three years.  I told him it's very brushy and he may have deer at 10 yards with no shot.  Of course, he was able to get a couple small ones directly under his stand but the big one stayed out at 40 yards. 

This spiker was probably less than 12 feet from Cody's feet.  Nice quartering away shot.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
thanks for the explaination deadeye. that doesn't sound so bad now!!!!!! :rotflmao: :happy1: but wondered that high up if it would affect a bow shot. gun not so much!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
dakids, he was in the half moon on bucks ridge.  I though he was having too much fun so Saturday evening I put him in on that hasn't been used for three years.  I told him it's very brushy and he may have deer at 10 yards with no shot.  Of course, he was able to get a couple small ones directly under his stand but the big one stayed out at 40 yards. 

This spiker was probably less than 12 feet from Cody's feet.  Nice quartering away shot.

I dont remember the halfmoon stand at all.  Sure I've walked by it when I was lost in the dark a few times.  With so many stands to choose from I can see how a stand might not get used for 3 years.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.