Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Not legal under APR rules  (Read 4952 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This buck would not be legal under APR rules.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting.  I have never really checked that APR out.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Doesn't that APR tike say needs to be at least 4 pts on one side?? Dumb rule/ law if you ask me.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Never had to deal with these rules, but isn't this mostly in southern Minnesota?  Still stupid in my opinion.  My rules the last few years are that I'm after larger bucks.  Wasn't in the past.  So I have passed on a few deer.  Not in the past.  Just getting older and frankly tired of bringing them home for me to do it all just because "I'm the one that knows how to do it well".  Well I told everyone last year that If you want the deer processed I'll do it but you have to be there and help and learn how to do it.  If I do get to shoot a large buck then I don't mind because chances are slim.  My goal now is to just go up and enjoy the company I'm with and if i go home without a deer, that's fine with me but it's time for the nephews and friends who are much younger than me to cut t up their own.  I told them I'd make sausage for them but I want them to learn that also.  good luck.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Its probably been discussed before, but I was curious about the success or failure of APR.  I didn't dig too deep, but I found this link from the Pennsylvania Game Commission.  I couldn't tell you if it is objective or politically motivated.  The whole article is worth reading, it isn't too long, but here are some highlights.

Antler Restrictions in Pennsylvania
Are they working?

HUNTING: Hunter Success Rates

Tracking hunter success rates over the last 3 decades has shown little change in the percentage of successful hunters. Today, licensed Pennsylvania hunters are as successful harvesting a buck under APRs as their predecessors were 20 years ago under the old antler restriction.

HUNTING: Age Structure of Antlered Harvest

Age structure of the antlered harvest before APRs was about 80 percent yearling bucks and 20 percent adult bucks. With the increase in survival of yearling bucks under APRs, the age structure of the antlered harvest changed to about 55 percent yearling bucks and 45 percent adult bucks. This increase in adult buck harvest has occurred during a time when overall deer populations have declined.

The increased harvest of adult bucks does not necessarily mean more "record book" bucks. Although age structure and number of adult bucks in the harvest has increased, about 75 percent of them are only 2.5 yearsof- age. In other words, most of Pennsylvania's bucks are still being harvested prior to growing their largest antlers.

HUNTING: Hunter Support

Prior to changing to APRs, surveys showed a majority of hunters favored them. Many hunter surveys have been conducted since APRs started in 2002. Would hunter support wane after APRs became reality? Not hardly! In fact, hunter support of APRs has remained steady since their implementation.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm the same way RH.  Used to be top priority to bring a deer home.  Sometimes I have had a locker butcher for me sometimes myself.  We used to bring them to the Meat Cutting guys at Pipestone Vo-tech.  It was cheap and they did a great job.  They are no longer there.  Now I too have been waiting for a bigger one.  Not as excited to butcher my own anymore. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I enjoy the butchering and making sausage. Almost as much as da shooting. I love shooting big bucks, but I will shoot anything legal that walks in front of me. Now the DNR has lifted all the APRs down south because of the CWD.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'm like JB, I enjoy the butchering as much as I do the shooting and ya'all know how much butchering I gotta do. :sleazy: :sleazy: don't do the sausage maki as I take that in.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Onin24Eagle

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
On public land, especially public land that is fairly easy to access, I don't think rules like this would increase hunter success.  In fact the success rate (number of hunters that bag a deer) would probably go down at first.  That being said, you would most likely see more deer and if you did shoot one, it would probably be bigger than in the past.  The point of APR rules isn't to increase the number of deer taken, it's to increase the quality.  This is basically shown to be true from the excerpts posted by LPS above.  Success rate didn't change but percentage of adult deer taken increased significantly.  "Trophy" bucks however, are still "Trophy" bucks.  If you want to get one of those, you either need to be lucky or put in some extra effort.  In my experience that means getting back into areas that nobody else is willing to put in the effort to reach.  Case in point I have a good friend that shot an absolute monster typical 10 pt back in 2007 that green scored over 184 inches.  He called me and 6 other guys to help drag it out of that swamp.  Took us over 5 hours to get it to the road taking turns and working in shifts.  He was waaaay back in that swamp (and the deer only ran 20 yards before it dropped).  You just don't normally come across bucks like that walking a few hundred yards into the woods from where you parked your vehicle.
2011 MNO Deer Hunting Challenge Champion

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Stevo-O posted them.  If you refrain from shooting small bucks for a year or two where you hunt you get some bigger deer.  But sometimes just getting anything to bring home and eat is the program too.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd be more in favor of APR if the state had large enough doe population to support Hunter's Choice (doe or buck) everywhere.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
  Case in point I have a good friend that shot an absolute monster typical 10 pt back in 2007 that green scored over 184 inches.  He called me and 6 other guys to help drag it out of that swamp.  Took us over 5 hours to get it to the road taking turns and working in shifts.  He was waaaay back in that swamp

THIS!  Is why a lot of folks want APR!  So they can shoot them by the truck and don't have to work for them!  :rolleyes:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
  Case in point I have a good friend that shot an absolute monster typical 10 pt back in 2007 that green scored over 184 inches.  He called me and 6 other guys to help drag it out of that swamp.  Took us over 5 hours to get it to the road taking turns and working in shifts.  He was waaaay back in that swamp

THIS!  Is why a lot of folks want APR!  So they can shoot them by the truck and don't have to work for them!  :rolleyes:

Yes, Leech, some guys are always looking for a silver bullet.  If you want a trophy buck, you will still have to work just as hard for it with APR as without.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
horns smorns, could care less about em
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Yes, Leech, some guys are always looking for a silver bullet.  If you want a trophy buck, you will still have to work just as hard for it with APR as without.

Well loading in the truck is still the same hard work!  :rotflmao:   
My big thing is the kids that have to pass on their first ever Deer because some middle age guys that make laws don't want to get their boots muddy in a swamp!   :sad:
« Last Edit: November 11/07/19, 01:08:32 PM by Leech~~ »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I was always a shoot it if it has horns type of guy.  Had venison every year.  As we have gotten older we are waiting for bigger ones.  No one gets a deer now.. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  AND it is no big deal now.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I was always a shoot it if it has horns type of guy.  Had venison every year.  As we have gotten older we are waiting for bigger ones.  No one gets a deer now.. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  AND it is no big deal now.

I'm the other way now. My wife wouldn't let me put any more racks on the wall so I'm back to shooting meat!  And ok with that.  :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
And to all of the above. Everyone makes their own choice. That is the way it should be. Not someone legislating what size buck we should shoot. And then look at what happen down south. All them years of APR to get the quality deer and then a disease(CWD) and the DNR ends up shooting them all and you are right back to square one again. We went through the whole TB thing up here. No APR restrictions though.

Offline Smokey Hills Bandit

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'd be more in favor of APR if the state had large enough doe population to support Hunter's Choice (doe or buck) everywhere.

Agreed, If you have to apply for a doe permit there should be no APR. Kids under 16, or any first time hunter should be allowed to harvest whatever they like.

In general, I do support APR 3/4 points per side, or a spread of 12" (outside the ears). I do believe a couple years would be slightly tougher, but I don't think too many people would be upset once they are seeing more mature deer.

I like the details that Steve-O provided,

HUNTING: Hunter Success Rates

Tracking hunter success rates over the last 3 decades has shown little change in the percentage of successful hunters.[/b] Today, licensed Pennsylvania hunters are as successful harvesting a buck under APRs as their predecessors were 20 years ago under the old antler restriction.

HUNTING: Age Structure of Antlered Harvest

Age structure of the antlered harvest before APRs was about 80 percent yearling bucks and 20 percent adult bucks. With the increase in survival of yearling bucks under APRs, the age structure of the antlered harvest changed to about 55 percent yearling bucks and 45 percent adult bucks. This increase in adult buck harvest has occurred during a time when overall deer populations have declined.

JL

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Kids under 16, or any first time hunter should be allowed to harvest whatever they like.

Today, licensed Pennsylvania hunters are as successful harvesting a buck under APRs as their predecessors were 20 years ago under the old antler restriction.

So it took 20 years to get back to what it was, sounds like a wash in the program.  Dang that 36 year old Ruben may never get his Buck!  :deer:
« Last Edit: November 11/07/19, 07:02:29 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If 80% of bucks that are shot are 1.5 years old (otherwise called yearlings), I wonder what % of 1.5 year old bucks are killed each season?  If they only wouldn't be so stupid, running from one stand to another just to see if there is a hunter in it. Good lord, go hide someplace for crying out loud.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I might not no nuttin' but I figure if I was growing cattle for their long horns then I wouldn't be killin' all the ones with long horns. I'd cull out the ones with short horns and let the long horned ones procreate.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
If 80% of bucks that are shot are 1.5 years old (otherwise called yearlings), I wonder what % of 1.5 year old bucks are killed each season?  If they only wouldn't be so stupid, running from one stand to another just to see if there is a hunter in it. Good lord, go hide someplace for crying out loud.

There are a lot of one antlered spikes and ratty 1.5-2 year Bucks just by seeing them you know they will never produce a good rack anyway.  Their kind of the "slot" fish-Eatters!  :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Here's looking at you.  Another yearling buck checking out a stand.

And, yet another...

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Someone needs to sit still and stop alerting all those Deer!   :deer: :deer: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i bet he farted....
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Smokey Hills Bandit

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Not going to change you cold blooded killers.  :confused:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman