Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Help from the spear chuckers  (Read 8201 times)

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I’m hoping Glenn or Mike can help since they seem to be the resident experts for spearing. I want to get into spearing this year, and I live on a very good northern lake. The questions I have are what do I need to spend to get a decent spear, and can I get by with a store bought decoy? Also what are good depths to setup on? If you guys can direct me to other good spearing related resources I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Coop

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'd recommend an Amish spear, there 7 tine and about 125 bucks. They throw straight and are good spears. And I'm not talking Brittany spears either. :sleazy

Yes you can get by with store bought decoys. I highly recommend red and white and the Bear Creek brand. They look like a little pike. I'd also suggest get more then one and a different color.

You will also want a good made chisel.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yes amish spears are good, but the ones I have seen are metal and the tines can bend..  yes red and white and one other...  and an older bait caster reel to hang your decoy from...  how close you to Osakis???  I might be able to help you out with a couple things...  and show ya a couple other toys to help ya.   I even have an extra spear... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I saw some nice ones the other day, Mike, at a certain SG store.....

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i grew up spearing its an awesome sport. gkod lu k
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You'll also need a shelter made for spearing,ice tongs, ice saw, heater, and if you live on the lake don't forget the beer . Save egg shells, helps  seeing the bottom. And an ice scoop. A wire mesh type noodle strainer works great.

And when you want serious expert advice let me know!! :rotflmao:

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
and he'll will get in touch with me, then we can talk.
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
and he'll will get in touch with me, then we can talk.
why?? :scratch: you got a discount card for Morey's. :scratch: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yu work out that the morys reference loooooong time ago.. cattch up!

78.50"

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
yes amish spears are good, but the ones I have seen are metal and the tines can bend..  yes red and white and one other...  and an older bait caster reel to hang your decoy from...  how close you to Osakis???  I might be able to help you out with a couple things...  and show ya a couple other toys to help ya.   I even have an extra spear...
Thanks for the offer Mike, I’m up between Park Rapids and Walker. I don’t get over that way to often, but if I do I’ll take you up on that.

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
You'll also need a shelter made for spearing,ice tongs, ice saw, heater, and if you live on the lake don't forget the beer . Save egg shells, helps  seeing the bottom. And an ice scoop. A wire mesh type noodle strainer works great.

Boar not only told me you were an expert on spear fishing, but he said you were the greatest sportsman he has ever known. He also told me not to tell you that he said that.

I have some of the stuff you mentioned, and plenty of beer. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Don't forget the Glenn-approved fish call, either.   :Fish:  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Boar not only told me you were an expert on spear fishing, but he said you were the greatest sportsman he has ever known. He also told me not to tell you that he said that.

I have some of the stuff you mentioned, and plenty of beer. Thanks for the reply.
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

There take that you you you boar putz. :rotflmao:

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the offer Mike, I’m up between Park Rapids and Walker. I don’t get over that way to often, but if I do I’ll take you up on that.

well if I get up that way I'll let ya know!!!  I have been know to get up that way once in awhile..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey coop, you ever get down in the perham area and fish like Marion or dead lake??

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone on Facebook there is an ad on Market Place right now for a bunch of spearing items.
Not sure if these are good prices are not?  :confused:
Click picture for larger view.

Tools

Spear Ice fishing equipment
Anoka, MN · 23 hours ago ·
FREE

Box of 14 decoys - $100
Ice scoop - $1 each
Seat pads - $2 each
Ice thong - $15 & $50
Gaff - $8 each
Ice chisel - $12-$40
Spears - $25-$60 Less
« Last Edit: November 11/15/19, 10:43:00 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks interesting Leech.....

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey coop, you ever get down in the perham area and fish like Marion or dead lake??
No, only been in that area once. I did look on goggle earth and didn’t realize there were so many lake in that area. Are those good spearing lakes?

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone on Facebook there is an ad on Market Place right now for a bunch of spearing items.

Tools

FREE

Box of 14 decoys - $100
Ice scoop - $1 each
Seat pads - $2 each
Ice thong - $15 & $50
Gaff - $8 each
Ice chisel - $12-$40
Spears - $25-$60 Less
Thanks for posting that Leech. I don’t have Facebook, and I probably wouldn’t know what I was looking at as far as the spears go anyway. Looks like someone inherited their gramp’s  gear.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
or they been buying stuff as they find it like I have done..

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Tools

FREE

Box of 14 decoys - $100
Ice scoop - $1 each
Seat pads - $2 each
Ice thong - $15 & $50
Gaff - $8 each
Ice chisel - $12-$40
Spears - $25-$60 Less
Thanks for posting that Leech. I don’t have Facebook, and I probably wouldn’t know what I was looking at as far as the spears go anyway. Looks like someone inherited their gramp’s  gear.

The way the FB page looked it may have been a lady who's husband passed away? 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
No, only been in that area once. I did look on goggle earth and didn’t realize there were so many lake in that area. Are those good spearing lakes?
I've only been on those lakes in the summer so not sure.

as far as the facebook ad...…..chisels....meh. I made my own so I wasn't impressed. the spears look ok but with the amish spears my standard is set way high. the decoys......i'd on them like stink on poop if I needed some. the ice scoops...….iffin you already have one for angling I wouldn't buy those.

like I said in a prvios post get one of those metal screened noodle strainers, if they have those to prongs bend them down.  the ice tongs look like a good deal!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 11/16/19, 09:36:51 AM by glenn57 »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
as far as the facebook ad...…..chisels....meh. I made my own so I wasn't impressed. the spears look ok but with the amish spears my standard is set way high. the decoys......i'd on them like stink on poop if I needed some. the ice scoops...….iffin you already have one for angling I wouldn't buy those.

like I said in a prvios post get one of those metal screened noodle strainers, if they have those to prongs bend them down.  the ice tongs look like a good deal!!!!!!

Yeah, it was kind of posted for the new spearing person that may need some equipment.  ;)       

Not King Neptune!  :mooning:  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 11/16/19, 09:57:53 AM by Leech~~ »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Yeah, it was kind of posted for the new spearing person that may need some equipment.  ;)       

Not King Neptune!  :mooning:  :rolleyes:
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I see there is a decoy show on Nov. 23 at Bejou Mn.  9 to 5 at the Lean to Tavern.. $2.00 admission...

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
another decoy show is Nov. 30th 9 to 4 at Grand Rapids Timberlake Lodge  $2.00