Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Curley's sausages  (Read 2701 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
OK I have kind of an apology to Curley's and I will email them.  AND for any of youse guys that read my post a month ago about Curley's Ring Bologna being too salty, I have something to say.  We have thought it was great but seemed too salty lately.  I realized tonight that I have sous vided it in the vac pack I put the ring in a few times lately.  Worked great.  BUT that is when it was too salty.  Tonight I cut the vac pack bag off and then simmered it in the pan.  Perfect!  I just bought ground beef, mixed with the spices, put in tubes.  Easy and a done deal. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
OK I have kind of an apology to Curley's and I will email them.  AND for any of youse guys that read my post a month ago about Curley's Ring Bologna being too salty, I have something to say.  We have thought it was great but seemed too salty lately.  I realized tonight that I have sous vided it in the vac pack I put the ring in a few times lately.  Worked great.  BUT that is when it was too salty.  Tonight I cut the vac pack bag off and then simmered it in the pan.  Perfect!  I just bought ground beef, mixed with the spices, put in tubes.  Easy and a done deal.

ouch and good find!! 

that darn water cooking...............  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So I can kind of blame this on brother Del......  The souse vide king! 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Yup, man was not meant to throw good food in a warm water douche bag to cook it.
« Last Edit: November 11/21/19, 08:00:27 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya so:  Souse Vide = Warm douche     Got it! 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just don't trust the chance of letting something sit at a temp the USDA says is dangerous. But, that's my opinion, and I'm not the one eating it. Whatever works for ya.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I have noticed that if I just cook hotdogs in a fry pan they seem too salty.  If I heat them in an actual pan of water they are better.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll agree with that. Cooks the grease out too. (Hence Nathan's)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I've cooked my smoked sausage links in water for years.  Not in plastic bags but in water just enough to cover them and not boil but simmer.  Boiling sometimes cracks the casings [natural casings].  Actually simmering them in water seems to plump them up a bit too.  Grilling is another way.  When I make Swedish sausage for example I simmer them in water in my big cooker at 179 degrees until I get the safe temp after stuffing them.  Many sausages are cooked that way like bockwurst for example also.

So in my opinion simmering smoked sausages really doesn't change the flavor.  If you ever make a taste test after mixing your batch of sausage and I have found that the flavor is more intense then.  Not more but I do notice it.  Then after smoking it or cooking it the flavor is still good but different from when it was fresh.  I notice it especially in spicy stuff.   Also it makes a difference on how you link your sausage in my opinion.  Some guys just link it in one direction.  I make the first link forward and then the next backward and then forward and then backward ect.  Then when you cut between the links you will notice there will be no openings unless you cut right next to the sausage link itself. 

I'm going to try some seasonings from Owens BBQ as well.  Heard some good things about them.  Also a husband wife team.  Not that I will stop using Curley's by no means, because I already know they have good stuff.  Just that Owens has some different types of seasonings that Curleys doesn't and the same can be said for Owens doesn't have what Curleys has.  One thing I want to try is Owens Swedish sausage seasonings to see if it's better than my own reciepe.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, simmering soused-up weenies is good.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  I just had to.  :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
reiny if done owens, out ND , great stuff, their red barn balony for ring baloney is phenominal, thier tex mex stick mix is awesome, their philly cheese steak braughtworst is awesome, their spinach and fettancheese braut is awesome, i really love thier vareity.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will check that out too Boar.  I am close to needing some more sausage.