Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Skin care  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Was looking for the health forum but I"m getting the blue light treatment tomorrow for sun damage or to treat precancerous lesions before they have a chance to develop into skin cancer.  Has anyone had this Photodynamic Therapy before?  good luck

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
nope....not me...…..good luck Reiny! :happy1: hope it all turns out for the good!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
good luck reniey! hope all ends well.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I think my brother has been in a few times. Easy for him and it's working. Good luck
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hope it works for ya Rieny!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck Rh!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Yes, good luck! I had it done 4-5 yrs ago. Nothin' to it!  :smiley:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck RH.  My Dad has had a few spots cut off over the years and they all healed up nicely.  Hope your blue treatment goes well.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guy's.  Let you all know how it goes.  They said to stay inside for 24 hours.  Skin may turn red like a sunburn and peel later.   good luck.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Never had it... Mine was a small chunk of the real thing.  So they used a knife and a soldering iron.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Rh, they spray the are with Rustoleum (Kidding!) or something, then the light activatwsthe chemical. Ya et to wear goggles and pretend yer spaceman for the about 15 mns of treatment...and that's it!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
How long does the redness and peeling last:  good luck.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/photodynamic-therapy/about/pac-20385027

Overview
Photodynamic therapy (PDT) uses medications to make cancer cells and other abnormal cells vulnerable to high-intensity light energy, such as from lasers. It can be used to treat a variety of cancerous and precancerous conditions.

Photodynamic therapy involves applying or infusing a special drug (photosensitizer) that makes the cells light sensitive. For cancers on or near the surface of the skin, the drug may be applied topically

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/actinic-keratosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354969

(didn't find much about recovery time)    Probably depends of exactly what they have to do.   I would expect a week or so.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Del.  Just came back.  The doc put the medicine on with a stick of some kind and rubbed it all over the affected areas.  Then I sat there for an hour and  looked at my phone and some magazines to take up the time.  Then she came back in and told me to wash my face and top of my head.  Then I went into another room for the blue light.  You sit on a chair and she moved  this unit with a opening for my head dead center.  Inside it's surrounded by lightbulbs.  Put on a pair of goggles and told me to close my eyes.  Set the timer for 16 minutes and some seconds and turned it on.  Skin felt a little prickly here and there but not bad at all.  When it was over she put some sun screen and lotion on.  Gave me a goody bag of small containers of creams and sunscreen.  So far so good.  No redness yet but she said I will have some flaking and maybe some redness.  Have to do this two more times.  One day in January and one day in February.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no, good luck to you!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just make sure the area stays out of the sun, RH, and ya use that creams to keep the peeling, if it happens, to a minimum.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope it works, I'm sure it will.    It's  a good thing they caught it early.   Mine was sort of a fluke.    I went to have them look at one thing, and it was another that I had never seen, since it was low in the middle of my back, sort of where Reb might have kidney punched me in the old days under the wrong circumstances.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Delmar! I'd never PUNCH you! I might however, put a paper bag over yer head..... :rotflmao:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Reb.  Ya, supposed to stay inside for 24 hours. She gave me a bunch of sample creams.  Will get my wife to get me bigger jars.  Yep,  Gona get me some of those face masks things I see fishermen use with most of the face covered.  For ice fishing and open water.  Long sleeve shirts also.  Just have to be smarter with the sun.  Used to use sunscreens a lot but not much when I was young.  Two more treatments and I will be fine.  Then once a year check ups.  So if anyone thinks they have sun damage I would go and get checked.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Me....light blond hair and blue eyes. Out in the sun all day and would never wear a hat. Now I'm paying for it. Use sunscreen and a hat, guys.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Me....light blond hair and blue eyes. Out in the sun all day and would never wear a hat. Now I'm paying for it. Use sunscreen and a hat, guys.
it affectetx your brain that much. :scratch: :rotflmao: Gunner made me say it. :confused: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, the twins. Ding & Dong.  :bonk:   :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info RH.  Interesting.  I never used to wear sunglasses and always took my shirt off.  Now I don't and always wear sunglasses and a hat.  Those face things actually look kind of comfortable. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info RH.  Interesting.  I never used to wear sunglasses and always took my shirt off.  Now I don't and always wear sunglasses and a hat.  Those face things actually look kind of comfortable.

been thinking I should have them on the bike too??  will have to see...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh ya I could see them being real nice to wear on a bike.  Good bug shield and sun shield.  AND wind shield.  Wind burn can be as bad as a sunburn. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Keep those June bugs from nailing ya in the face at 60 MPH, too.  *OW!*   :censored: