Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Deer processing...who all does it themselves?  (Read 7067 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Most hunters hang them up a week. If the weather was like opening weekend they were froze solid by morning.

Yup, to each his own...
A deer is a rather small animal (compared to a cow) and the longer it hangs, the more meat you loose. But, it all depends on the conditions. If it's frozen, and your trying to age the meat by hanging, it serves no purpose. If it's hanging and it's hot out, and properly cleaned...the meat dries out, then gets trimmed off and good for nothing anyway. If it's hanging in a tree and it's just warm enough for it to rain...it just rots....
If it's hanging and froze, and brought to a processor, everybody else's deer gets done first that has deer thawed out while yours un-thaws...or worse, gets rejected because it's frozen and you get put on a waiting list.

Like I said....to each his own.....I have seen it all (at least I think so)

The best way to age it, is have it skun and hanging in a cooler...even then, you loose some of the outer meat.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I won't skin mine unless I can at the very least quarter it, and put it in a frig covered with plastic.
« Last Edit: December 12/08/19, 05:39:20 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
All I can tell you, is what I do....I get it skun and into the cooler as fast as I can.
That way, I loose very little, if any meat.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
On reason I like to get the hide off - especially if it is a mature doe - is so I can peel that fat cap off the hind quarters.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Getting them skun right away really helps cool the meat down faster. We skin ours right away and hang them in a cool garage. HD is right, some of the outer meat dries some. But I just cut that off. We process all of our deer and make the sausage to.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
What do you guys do with the ribs?

HD, when you have so many to cut up, do you do anything with the ribs?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

i'm a tight azz with my venision...........i take the time to trim it out as much as possible, it'll make a stick or wiener or 2!!!!!! i do that first thing....cause it does suck!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

A lot of the deer that come in, have huge holes through the ribs. And that is area that dries out first from hanging. Not much is salvageable from the ribs.

But,
It also depends on the size of the deer, if it's a real large deer, you can get some meat off of them.

If it's a real fatty deer, it's almost not worth the hassle of separating the fat from what little meat there is.

I cut mine up pretty quickly, and depending on damage, I save what I can and grind it up.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Do all the hoofies, head, and guts go to the rendering plants? Aka kitty food factory?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no, that is a huge no no!!!!  land fill fill most likely....    some burned them too...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Noticed something interesting this year.

I usually let the dogs investigate the deer I bring home to cut up.  One dog is still a chicken, but this year I noticed the other dog went and smelled each of the four hooves.  Nothing else.  No other scent glands, body cavities, head, or anything else.  Just the feet.

Interesting the way animals figure out how to identify each other and decide which scents are worth smelling.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
maybe your dog has a foot fetish like boar!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
If the dogs had smelled Boar's feet, they would no longer be upright.  :puke: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Do all the hoofies, head, and guts go to the rendering plants? Aka kitty food factory?

The guts are "normally" disposed of in the field before they get to me. I say "normally" because I have seen some bad stuff come in.

The hoofs, and head along with the carcass go to the land fill.
But....we have had requests for hoofs and left behind antlers for peoples dogs, and rib cages for coyote hunters.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
after i plucked clean my rib cage my FIL used to take it out to his place and hang it in the trees for the birds.

i've also seen some pretty neat stuff made out of the feet/hoofs!!!!

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If they are not shot through the ribs, I cut them off of the deer and will throw them in a crockpot with bbq sauce and they are very good.  However, you have to eat them while they are still hot/warm or they get a tallow film on them when they start cooling off. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have done that too with the rib cage Glenn.  The birds love it.  I had one once that had a perfect round hole and the chicadees would go in and out of the hole like a bird house.  They sit right on top of my bird feeder nicely.