Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Collagen casings  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Does anyone know how to tell if a collagen casing is bad? I read somewhere that unless you keep them in the freezer they are only good for about one year. They say that they become brittle. I always end up with extra, and hate to throw them out.
Thanks.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: just make more snausage!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yea ive had blow outs between makings.. i always get fresh regardless. they can get brittle
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Me too.  I have frozen fresh ones too so I could save a buck.  Now I use what I need and throw the rest away so I don't waste a batch.  May not need to but just in case.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
im loving those casings in curlys hotdog kit. im making my brauts this weekend with them. their perfect. very durable. and the size makes a large stick or a hotdog size for a hotdog bun. i made my last batch of polish with these. made a great stick or i heated them upnfor a hot dog. ther awesome
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you peel the casing off before you eat them Boar?  Or can you eat them?

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
cant eat them, but incut them to favored size and the casing slippes off easier than a condom
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Now I get to think of that every time I eat a snausage..... :rolleyes:

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
« Last Edit: December 12/16/19, 09:41:01 AM by Boar »
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
many if not most collagen casings are edible, but there are many out there that are not.,.
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
yup, just think of me each time u put sauage in yur mouth!
:shocked:  :doah: :scratch: ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Collagen casings when sealed or vacume packed can last up to two years.  Once opened and then resealed up to a year.  Here is what I do.  I keep mine in the fridge sealed.  Keeps them from getting dry.  It's important to keep them sealed.  Air gets in and they dry out and get brittle.  I get mine at Fleet farm.  They hang there in sealed plastic bags.  Who knows how long they came from the supplier and to the point of sale.  The key is don't buy casings if your not going to use them soon.  There usually are casings left over.  when that happens, seal them and put them in the fridge.  The fridge is not there to keep them fresh or to make them last longer.  It's to keep them from getting dry. 

I don't use edible collagen casings for brats or any fresh or smoked sausage like that.  Not that it's a bad idea but I just find that when trying to make links they often break because they have no memory like natural casings.  I use them for sticks though.  I use non edible collagen casings for summer sausage. good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So Boar.  I think you posted a picture of those hot dogs once.  So you just fill a whole long casing and then just cut them to the length you want and then freeze them.  Do you leave the casings on until it is time to cook them?

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i fill.them like i do sticks. thier not ment to be cooked like a conventiknal brat, but ment to be loaded then smoked thenntaken.off
78.50"