Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 gardens......  (Read 92486 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Do you have a 5 acre garden Glenn?  AND what do you do with all of those maters?
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: no.......its about 27 ft by 60 ft i believe.

when the maters are ripe, its nothing for me to eat 5-6 a day easy. i make salsa, stewed tomatoes, tomato juice and my own soup mix, or starter. to make the salsa and soup starter it easily takes a box of tomatoes the size of a box peaches and pears come in.........about a bushel. if i have extra i wash them and run them threw a food chopper, pour in a cake pan, freeze, then bust them up in smaller pieces to add in chili spagetti and hot dishes.

trust me, i go through serious tomato withdrawals when there gone. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
katchup!!!!!!!!!!!!
NAW........i let Heinz take care of that!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you have a 5 acre garden Glenn?  AND what do you do with all of those maters?
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: no.......its about 27 ft by 60 ft i believe.

when the maters are ripe, its nothing for me to eat 5-6 a day easy. i make salsa, stewed tomatoes, tomato juice and my own soup mix, or starter. to make the salsa and soup starter it easily takes a box of tomatoes the size of a box peaches and pears come in.........about a bushel. if i have extra i wash them and run them threw a food chopper, pour in a cake pan, freeze, then bust them up in smaller pieces to add in chili spagetti and hot dishes.

trust me, i go through serious tomato withdrawals when there gone. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Good for you Glenn.  I like maters but man you are a mater lover!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My garden is mobile until all possibilities of frost are over.  Almost wore out the wagon and wheel barrow moving the plants in and out of the garage.  :rotflmao:

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great idea DE!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Just finished the last trellis,  now its game on. Looking to go up with cukes, beans and snap peas. Not sure how many mater plants but thinking on trying homemade pasta sauce and of course for blts and salsa. A good variety of peppers and definitely zucchini. Probably start shopping tomorrow.  This is the first year of no raised bed, I imagine I'll get sick of weeding after a while.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just finished the last trellis,  now its game on. Looking to go up with cukes, beans and snap peas. Not sure how many mater plants but thinking on trying homemade pasta sauce and of course for blts and salsa. A good variety of peppers and definitely zucchini. Probably start shopping tomorrow.  This is the first year of no raised bed, I imagine I'll get sick of weeding after a while.
:scratch: :scratch: that dinky little garden....ya spend 1/2 hour every other day.......piece of cake!!!!!!!!!

you can come over and help with mine fer practice!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 05/13/20, 06:19:46 PM by glenn57 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks good Bobber!!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Gee, you must've skipped outta W O R K by noon yday to get all that done. ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: just plain hard work!!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:
:scratch: Just like Mondays at The Hall? :sleazy: ;D ;D
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I eat a lot of tomatoes. Usually from mid July till freeze up. Making salsa.juice,spaghetti. pizza, sauce. I plant a few early reds and yellows, paste and a 8-10 heirlooms including
Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Amana Orange, Winsall, Kellogg's Breakfast, Gold Medal,
Carbon, and Prudens Pink.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I use to plant a lot of those same heirlooms. Really liked the gold medal but it didn't have much of a shelf life.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
As much as I hate to admit it....I plant like Glenn ;) 27 maters and 30 different peppers. 200 plus onions. We do eat maters daily when fresh.
Diced, juiced, salsa, and spaghetti sauce all get canned. We generally put up 60 pints of diced, 30 quarts of juice, 50 plus pints of salsa and whatever is left goes to spaghetti sauce..the sauce actually takes a ton because you reduce it so much..freeze a lot of peppers. Still eating onions from last year, about a month to go before they run out..
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
As much as I hate to admit it....I plant like Glenn ;) 27 maters and 30 different peppers. 200 plus onions. We do eat maters daily when fresh.
Diced, juiced, salsa, and spaghetti sauce all get canned. We generally put up 60 pints of diced, 30 quarts of juice, 50 plus pints of salsa and whatever is left goes to spaghetti sauce..the sauce actually takes a ton because you reduce it so much..freeze a lot of peppers. Still eating onions from last year, about a month to go before they run out..
hey now! :pouty: I do have some good qualities. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
hey now! :pouty: I do have some good qualities. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:scratch:         :confused:                                                                                                                                                       :sleazy: ;)  :laugh: :laugh:   
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure how much rain we got last nite but it sure perked up the stuff in the garden  :happy1: :happy1: even in the farmers fields!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here. I measured about 1/2 inch.

:applause: :applause:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Planted a bunch of canna bulbs this morning.  Still have a bunch left that won't get planted.  Put all the tomato, pepper, cucumber, sun flowers, and a variety of pumpkin plants out and will hope for no more frost.  I may have to get a Salsa recipe if all the peppers, onions and maters produce.   

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1:

Thanks for the reminder on the canna bulbs. I gotta get 'em out of the crawl space and the attic yet. My usual source for 4 o'clock seed is either sold out or didn't stock them this year. Good thing I saved a bunch of seed last fall looks like. Wife is talking about petunias for some of the pots & planters so the hummingbirds won't go hungry.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My wife put flowers in the various pots a couple days ago.  I think we are about set with planting. Except I do need a few more cucumber and gourd plants.  Oh, and I almost forgot, couple acres of turnips and three acres of beans for the deer.   :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Deadeye, may as well plant a field of hostas too. :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes, I'm sure the deer would love hostas as well.  I did forget I plan to plant 5 additional apple trees on Wednesday.  That's in addition to the 70 or so that I previously planted.  I hope the deer, grouse and other birds are happy.   :laugh:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Put in the last of the flowers and bulbs, garden is ready for the deer.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Planted a bunch of canna bulbs this morning.  Still have a bunch left that won't get planted.  Put all the tomato, pepper, cucumber, sun flowers, and a variety of pumpkin plants out and will hope for no more frost.  I may have to get a Salsa recipe if all the peppers, onions and maters produce.   

I have a great salsa recipe. Have used it for many years. From the Minot Daily News years ago.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I have a great salsa recipe. Have used it for many years. From the Minot Daily News years ago.
I have a good one also . Be cool to compare, however mine used oddball containers to measure the ingredients. :doah:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
KEN W, glenn57,
Well post them here so I can copy them.   :cool:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
KEN W, glenn57,
Well post them here so I can copy them.   :cool:
will do soon. Probably in the recipe thread. :happy1:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is my salsa recipe. I also put it on the recipe forum......my kids and grand kids love this....

Hotsy Totsy Salsa

4 cups tomato puree or diced tomatoes
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced peppers
3 TBS white Vinegar
1 TBS minced garlic
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp dried oregano

If you eat this raw it is fine the way it is. If you cook and can it then you need to start with more tomatoes and cook them down to the thickness you want. Then measure out the 4 cups after cooking.

I put in the measurements for the onions and peppers. But after measuring out the tomatoes, I just keep adding till it looks to be the right amount w/o measuring.

Not everyone in my family likes hot food. So I don't add it. They can add hot sauce before they eat it. Or you can add Jalapeno peppers to get it as hot as you want.

I can this in a pressure cooker to be safe.

This recipe can also be used for green tomatoes in the fall when you have to pick them all. Usually raw not canned.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I just added my reciepe to KenW salsa reciepe post too!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys.  My neighbors may not like it if I make salsa out of the tomato's I used to give them. :rotflmao: