Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 gardens......  (Read 92422 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
KenW, do you or anyone else plant kalarabi?? Seems like the last 3-4 years there is alot of rutabaga seeds mixed in. Pisses me off. Like a gotta get an extra package of kalarabi seeds to get what I want.

Time to go out and pull them out . :confused: :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you don't like rutabagas??? 

if ya don't it will have to be added to the list!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/20/20, 11:35:06 AM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After the way this retirement thing is starting out, he's gonna be a real bundle of joy when he hits the care center!  :shocked:  :bonk:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:puke: :puke: :surrender: one of the very few fruits or veggies I won't eat. Not a fan of broccoli either but I do eat some.

By the way there all yanked and in the yard waste bin. :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

:puke: :puke: :surrender: one of the very few fruits or veggies I won't eat. Not a fan of broccoli either but I do eat some.

By the way there all yanked and in the yard waste bin. :happy1:

oh my the list needs updating now!!!!!     :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
After the way this retirement thing is starting out, he's gonna be a real bundle of joy when he hits the care center!  :shocked:  :bonk:
:rotflmao: yep there will be no nurse safe!! :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Can you tell the difference between a rutabaga and a Kohlrabi Glenn?  Maybe you pulled the kohlrabis. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We pulled our first radishes tonight.  They are great!  First time we planted them. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Done
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Can you tell the difference between a rutabaga and a Kohlrabi Glenn?  Maybe you pulled the kohlrabis.
oh I think so. Roots and leaves are different. Been planting them for many many years. :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When we were kids my Dad planted kohlrabi.  It was pretty good.  We just sliced them and put some salt on it. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to do salt on them too, but not anymore. Maybe occasionally.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
picked my first green pepper from the garden last nite!!!!!!!! :happy1: num num!!!!! :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
yea.................................so!  :scratch: :doah:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Took a gander around the garden yesterday and looks like I will need to pick dill today. Lots of flowers on the cukes and showing good signs of tomatoes. Time to add Epson salt to the mater plants.

Looking good in spite of this heat.

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
My weed crop is flourishing.  I have never seen this much in my pots.  We took out the garden a few years ago. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I got about 20 minutes of weeding yet then this round is done. Then water later. :happy1:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I am weeding almost every day. More seem to pop up every time it rains .My Kohlrabis are ready to eat. Peas are almost done. My early corn is showing silks.....20 days to corn on the cob. Strawberries are almost finished.

Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Getting a few green and jalepono peppers hear and there.

Weeds are under control for the time being. Seems the garden is requiring water but I gotz a big azz kiddy pool full right now. Just watered everything from out of there, hardly looks like I took anything out. :crazy: plenty for tomorrow, since it already Rang up on the water meter.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Our 🌽 is tasseled out, 2 ND row of radishes are almost ready. Pickle garden is all flowering. Beets are going great.... And (Rebs Favorite) we are picking green beans, first batch was much bigger
(we'll have to add some fresh 🌽 to this picking)  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have lettuce up the gazoo!   Pretty easy even for a novice to raise.  I am going to cut it all tomorrow.  Clean it so just great lettuce packaged.  Freeze it in ziplocs.  Works great for green smoothies.  Had the first one this morning.  Banana, yogurt, milk or almond milk, whole handful of lettuce or anything fruit or veggie you like. We put in our Ninja individual portion glasses and turn it to a drink.  Pretty easy and darn fun.  We freeze the bananas when they get old too.  In portion sized ziplocs also.  Novices at it also buy great way to eat up stuff.  I love them.  They don't stick with ya long though.  Need a sandwich later.   

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
The D*mn deer got my lettuce before I could stop them. And I live in town.

:angry2: :angry2: :thumbs: :thumbs:
« Last Edit: July 07/04/20, 07:43:57 PM by KEN W »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I pulled my lettuce and spinach when I got home from up north. It started getting see pods and a bit to big for my liking. Tends to get bitter to me at that point.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked a widdle mater and 1 cuke tonight. :happy1: things are looking up. :happy1: few kalarabi are tips fer picking too!!!

Have plucked a good amount of dill also

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
My peas are done. Strawberries maybe 1 more picking. June berries 1 more picking. Eating yellow squash and zucchini.Melons are softball size. Green beans next week. Blueberries next week. No tomatoes yet. Potatoes finished blooming. Eating broccoli. Yellow Raspberries starting to ripen.

Gardeners best month starting pretty soon. Love August.

:wowza: :wowza: :wowza:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cherry 'maters from the pot on the patio are luscious!  :happy1: Cukes are coming along nicely in the one hill. Something chewed off another one in one of the hills that's been struggling. A bunny had an accident tonite so hopefully that helps. Luckily there are still 7 plants in the hill, 6 of them are green dragon burpless & are growing like mad. The munchers are slower for some reason.  :undecided:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Been pickin peas like crazy,  maters , peppers and squash are doing good. I hope the zucchini turns around ( alotta rot) on some plants. Not sure whats going on with the beans, 8×7 trellis full of them but not one bean growing.   :confused:  Have picked several cukes off Another trellis.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Been pickin peas like crazy,  maters , peppers and squash are doing good. I hope the zucchini turns around ( alotta rot) on some plants. Not sure whats going on with the beans, 8×7 trellis full of them but not one bean growing.   :confused:  Have picked several cukes off Another trellis.
boober.......when i looked through my garden last night the beans where just starting to show up...maybe 2-3 inches long. if there are flowers you will get da beans. patience boo boo!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

zookeenie.....................meh.......everyone and dere brudder gives them away!!!!! :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm envious youse guys have cukes already. Amazing how things jumped overnite after the rain tho. Those green dragon cuke plants about doubled in size. They'll need to as late planted as they are. "Maters also increased in height by ~4". Hoping this rain has primed the pump and we can get the pasture area worked up for next year's garden. Bought some extra radish seed the other day so we should be able to start on it in late July - early August. 

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman

zookeenie.....................meh.......everyone and dere brudder gives them away!!!!! :rotflmao:
[/quote]

Ya, not a lot you can do with zucchini, grilling is good. This zucchini patty recipe is the best way that I have found, very tasty.

Zucchini Patties

"These cheesy zucchini patties are an excellent way to use up that abundance of zucchini from the garden. Serve with a bit of tomato sauce or sour cream dabbed on top."
Ingredients
*       2 cups grated zucchini
*       2 eggs, beaten
*       1/4 cup chopped onion
*       1/2 cup instant potato flakes

* 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
* salt to taste
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions
* In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.
* Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Form into patties, and fry until golden brown on both sides