Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 30 Day Clean Eating Challenge  (Read 30405 times)

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
After lots of talking about it, my wife and I have finally embarked on a 30 day Clean Eating Challenge.  It's definitely time, I'm at or near the heaviest I've probably ever been and definitely feeling the aging process more - just can't take the self-abuse like I used to :).  I have to say it's fascinating what you learn about your own body and how dependent you do get on certain things in your diet. The good news going into it is that I like just about anything I can put in my mouth, so no matter what they have me eat, it's game on!  The first week is a cleanse/sugar detox - I expected it to be miserable and I expected to be hungry all the time. NOT true, in fact it's the opposite.  This particular diet cuts out dairy, sugar and carbs almost completely the first week; the little sugar/carbs I get are all natural. But the good news is I'm in protein heaven. 5 meals a day rotating several recipes (Spinach salads being a constant) but an example of a day would be:

Breakfast: 2 whole eggs + 4 egg whites scrambled with peppers, spinach and fresh salsa and a banana afterwards
Lunch #1 (about 10:30 am): Cajun chicken breast, baked brussel sprouts and brown rice
Lunch #2: (about noon or 1:00) Spinach salad with tomatoes, peppers and a homemade vinaigrette dressing
Supper #1: (about 5:00) Baked Salmon (big portion) with asparagus and brown rice
Supper #2: (About 7:00) another Spinach salad - same as above but add 4 hardboiled egg whites

I'm never hungry, even when it's time to eat. In fact I've had to throw out the last few bites a couple of times because I'm so stuffed . And the provided recipes are fantastic - very tasty. Obviously have to drink a lot of water and I can still have my morning coffee. I'm only on Day 4 but can already feel the changes happening:

Positives - More energy, never hungry, sleeping better, more "regular", already down 3 quick pounds, but feel like i'm eating more than ever.

Negatives - Carb/Sugar withdrawl is a thing. Noticeable (but not debilitating) headaches - especially at the end of the day. No alcohol :(, LOT of prep work to maintain the meals, takes some dedication.

What I've learned - while I've always loved eggs, I thought they didn't "agree" with me.  So when I saw that I had to essentially eat 6 eggs for breakfast, I told my wife "the Cleanse" will be in full-effect within an hour after our first breakfast.  But this hasn't happened. In fact I'm surprised how little I have to go, given the amount of food I'm eating.  After all these years, I think it was the dairy and carbs, NOT the eggs.  I'm usually putting cheese on my eggs, eating toast with them, etc.  I'm not a milk drinker and never have been, so I get most of my dairy through cheese. We will find out next week when we start to bring a little of that stuff back in.

I am excited for the cleanse to be over as there's not much variety and I truly feel like I'm overeating - next week it's back to three meals/day with healthy snacks in-between, and the recipes look awesome. We both agree that were' not going to complicate our lives even more for this, we're just too busy.  Gotta go to Duluth for three days for my son's hockey tournament tomorrow morning and still technically have 3 cleanse days left.  Going to pack the salads and just try to make healthier restaurant choices for the rest.  Toughest is the no drinking, best part of youth hockey is the adult socializing! Might trade the Busch Light for Vodka, Club Soda and Lime. :)

Anyway, I'll share good recipes we discover on this journey.  Always good to have more healthy options.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Good for you! Go for it! For what it's worth, the bfast, lunch and dinner's sound great...I'd have no prob doin' those!   :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
does this mean i get all your smoked meats and smoking equipment? :scratch: :scratch: :sorry: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

good luck!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
does this mean i get all your smoked meats and smoking equipment? :scratch: :scratch: :sorry: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

good luck!!!!!!!!

HA! Never in a million years!  Never giving up any of that!!!  But at least for the next 30 days, I'll be taking a bit of a break from the cured stuff and/or BBQ saucy stuff.  My hope is that we'll find more than a few great recopies with this plan in the next moth to make a sustainable, moderate lifestyle change while still saving some room for the good stuff.  Enjoying the challenge so far.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Let us know how it goes, TL!  BBQ sauce does have a lot of sugar in it, too, just like Glenn's all purpose sauce, just for the record.. ;)

Barbecue Sauce, like ketchup, gets its sweet kick from sugar — and a lot of it. A mere two tablespoons of barbecue sauce has 100 calories, more than 10 grams of sugar and 22 grams of carbohydrates — enough to turn a diet-friendly piece of grilled steak into a candy coated calorie bomb.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

good luck!!!!!!!!

HA! Never in a million years!  Never giving up any of that!!!  But at least for the next 30 days, I'll be taking a bit of a break from the cured stuff and/or BBQ saucy stuff.  My hope is that we'll find more than a few great recopies with this plan in the next moth to make a sustainable, moderate lifestyle change while still saving some room for the good stuff.  Enjoying the challenge so far.
:pouty: :pouty: :doah: well i tried!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck.   I would bet it is dairy that gives you the go-backs as my MIL used to call it.   Lots of folks, especially as we get a little older are or become lactose intolerant and cant digest the sugar that is in milk.   

It's possible you might have some sort of gluten sensitivity instead.       

I find having pneumonia is another way to lose weight... :angry2: :pouty:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I always use the "fake eggs"...eggs substitute (which are egg whites)if it isn't gonna be sunny-side up eggs. They're good and easy to make spinach omelettes!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't given up on my See Food diet yet.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I dropped 30 pounds cutting out sugar, potatoes and bread in 4 months.  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been watching my carbs.  I don't have toast when I have my 2 eggs and sausage or ham.  Only milk is on my Cheerios.  I love spaghetti so that is a treat but lots of carbs.  I guess pasta is my biggest carb problem.  BUT I like fruit and veggies and try to eat more of that.  That is aggressive TL.  Good luck and will be interested in how it pans out for you. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Best of luck on your diet TL.  :happy1: One good thing about it is you're both doing it. When I've tried doing stuff like that flying solo in the past it's been doomed to fail. I get no support. :sad: My G&T's are relatively low carb tho. Manufactured w/Jack Rudy's tonic syrup at 1/2 oz + 5 oz club soda they're 5 gms of carbs (think Coors Light) vs. 15 gms when made with 5 oz Canada Dry or Schweppes tonic water.     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You could cut out more if ya just used a straw in the gin bottle..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I happen to be on the same diet roony is on!!!!!!!!  :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
TL, keep us apprised on this.....it sounds interesting.... :happy1:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Best of luck on your diet TL.  :happy1: One good thing about it is you're both doing it. When I've tried doing stuff like that flying solo in the past it's been doomed to fail. I get no support. :sad: My G&T's are relatively low carb tho. Manufactured w/Jack Rudy's tonic syrup at 1/2 oz + 5 oz club soda they're 5 gms of carbs (think Coors Light) vs. 15 gms when made with 5 oz Canada Dry or Schweppes tonic water.     

Or you could buy sugar free tonic water.... Schweppes even makes one.   

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Beer is my biggest carb problem.  ;) I like my beer.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
me 3!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinking: :drinking: :toast: but then dieting is overrated. :pouty: do i watch what i eat.....to a point.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, and we've got a list to prove it!!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mikey told me to do that, I didn't want to.  :nerd:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mikey told me to do that, I didn't want to.  :nerd:
liar........liar....your pants is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :confused: :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, he's watering his "house plants" right now anyway.   :smoking:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
at least I have some!!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Beer is my biggest carb problem.  ;) I like my beer.

Mich Ultra.   2.6 carbs, 95 cal, 4.2%
https://www.michelobultra.com/our-beers/ultra-light-beer.html

The industry has your solution.    Now, if the challenge etc doesn't allow alcohol ... then you are out of luck

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bunny pee. Beer's good for ya. Replaces a sandwich. The bubbles clean out all the nasty stuff too, and keep ya well-oiled.  :toast: