Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What Animal Kills the Most Human Beings Each Year?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What Animal Kills the Most Human Beings Each Year?

What animal scares you the most? Box jellyfish? Poison dart frogs? Every living thing from Australia? How about the Lamprey Fish?

OH GOD KILL IT NOW. That is sperm from hell.

Chances are whatever dangerous animal you’re most scared of is actually pretty unlikely to kill you, according to statistics.

As it turns out, you’re a lot less likely to be crushed and swallowed by a python in the Florida Everglades, or have your leg ripped off by a Great White Shark, than your nightmares would lead you to believe.

The number one animal responsible for human deaths? Mosquitos.

Of course, that makes sense after you hear it. Mosquitos spread diseases like malaria and West Nile Virus. No matter how many vaccinations I got, I would still absolutely consider wearing a beekeeper suit for the entirety of any visit I took to certain parts of Africa, based on sheer irrational paranoia.

The second animal on the list is another anticlimactic no-brainer. Human beings kill other human beings a lot. (Bummer.) This at least slightly rationalizes your fear of clowns, though. A guy dressed like a clown is way more likely to kill you than a polar bear.

Also rational, your fear of poisonous snakes. They kill 50,000 people a year worldwide. They are, in fact, a dangerous animal.

Other highlights from the list include the fact that man’s best friend is also man’s fourth-worst enemy, with dogs killing around 25,000 people a year. Snails apparently kill 10,000 through something called schistosomiasis but, really, if a snail kills you, that’s just natural selection. You were way too weak to be alive.

Most of the rest of the list is just worms and bugs — the tsetse fly, for example — that give you diseases. Crocs make an appearance with a not inconsiderable 1,000 kills per year. Frankly, that’s got to be the worst way to die on the list. Death by crocodile seems both especially painful and not especially fast. Hippo would probably be equally terrible. For both, you would almost certainly be very aware of what was happening (being eaten to death) and literally as terrified as anyone possibly could be (with the exception of someone being murdered by a clown).

So there you go. Shark attacks aren’t too likely to kill you, but a dumb bug bite has a decent shot. That’s life for ya.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Its probably a good thing that bugs are the only thing on that list that can live everywhere,  if not we'd all be in trouble..

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
See? And you guys give me crap about all the quinine water I consume!  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I didn't see yer Jap Humping Bugs on that list................. ;)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I would have to say Homo Sapiens number one...

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I am surprised about the wolf with 10.  Although world wide I hardly ever hear about wolf attacks on humans.  I did heard of one in Alaska a few years ago.  I hear more from grizzly bears than wolves but they are not on the list.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I see another person was just killed by a shark in Australia off the Great Barrier reef area.
That's two so far...I don't think I'd ever hit the water in that area. Lotsa nasty critters in there, too.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe you ought to stick to Silver Lake.    Lots of nasty critters in there but they are small.  :sleazy: :sleazy: :thumbs:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe you ought to stick to Silver Lake.    Lots of nasty critters in there but they are small.  :sleazy: :sleazy: :thumbs:

*HONK*