Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: gravel drive  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
My daughter just bought a house that has a gravel drive with about 1 inch rock.  They are having trouble clearing the snow.  They have a hand operated snow blower but it is tossing rocks.  The previous owner used an ATV with a plow but that seems like a problem pushing the rocks around.  To top it off their is an uphill grade from the drive to the street and it is iced up and hard to negotiate with a 2 wheel drive rig.  It is in Afton and putting down a lot of ice melt isn't that great an idea.
 I don't see an easy solution short of either smaller rock or paving.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

May be best just to keep driving it down to a packed snow layer then may be throwing down some sand once in a while. That way the snow blower can run over the top of it better. The rocks are going to always be a problem until compacted down.   :sad:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

May be best just to keep driving it down to a packed snow layer then may be throwing down some sand once in a while. That way the snow blower can run over the top of it better. The rocks are going to always be a problem until compacted down.   :sad:

x 2. let the snow pack down a layer on it. Drive back and forth over it. Used to have a long gravel drive too, and that's what I did.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
also adjust the skids on the side of the snow blower maybe...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We put some extra HD skids/shoes & lowered them on our blower up at the lake. They're easily double, maybe even close to 3X thicker than the OE. Our drive up there is close to 600' long but the rock is nowhere near that big just gravel. We also use a wheeler & blade that's set up to leave a nice layer of snowpack.
« Last Edit: January 01/15/20, 08:18:33 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hopefully they just put that big rock down and it hasnt had enough time to pack down.  Maybe come spring it will get worked in with the snowmelt.  We had constant maintenence on our drive until we put down crushed granite.  Now we don't even get pot holes.  Makes a nice smooth driveway. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got a gravel driveway with class 5 sized rock. I plow with a tractor. On my bucket I added a couple skids to bring the bucket edge up 2 inches. For the majority, it keeps the rocks out of the bucket.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!