Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Jalapeno cheddar summer sausage  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Got the meat ready and tomorrow I will start grinding and mixing and Friday instead of the smoker I will use the oven to finish them off.  Will add extra garlic and some mustard seeds to it.  It's for my brother and his buddy's from the deer he shot.  Will be posting pics as I go along.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh man that sounds great RH!  I will be watching.   :happy1:  I have a zip lock bag full of Jalapenos from last summer. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I got the venison ground up and mixed. But during all of this I forgot to put the cheddar in.  Senior moment.  Oh well I will put it in sticks or other sausage.  My brother won't care, he just wants some summer sausage.  I have venison left from his deer so I'll make him something else with what's left.  I used Curley's jalapeno seasoning in the 25 pound batch pack.  There is dehydrated jalapenos in the seasoning.  I added 5 cups of powdered milk, extra garlic, and mustard seeds and 6 cups cold water.  So I will stuff them tomorrow and get it done.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
It happens, RH! I was making my apple roast the other day, put the top on, turned it on. Ten minutes later I noticed the apples on the counter.... :bonk: :rotflmao:

I'm sure the snauasge will be great, anyway..... :happy1:
« Last Edit: January 01/16/20, 03:49:34 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i really like cheese but never been a real fan mixed in sticks or sausage? :scratch: :scratch: not sure why.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
BARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
i really like cheese but never been a real fan mixed in sticks or sausage? :scratch: :scratch: not sure why.

We always knew you were  :crazy:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

We always knew you were  :crazy:
I like to keep people guessing and off balance. :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :super smiley: :super smiley:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You mean you wobble too?   :rotflmao: :bonk:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You mean you wobble too?   :rotflmao: :bonk:
yea......maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Geez, can you let a guy play with his Sausage without all kinds side tracks!  :tut:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Geez, can you let a guy play with his Sausage without all kinds side tracks!  :tut:
Reb started it!! :pouty: :tut: :tut: :tut:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Rieny. When I make the chedder jalapeno sausage I don't mix the cheese in until just before I stuff it. But I double grind mine. Not sure if you do.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to grind mine twice on almost everything.  Now I only grind it through one time through the medium plate.  I'm going to save the high temp cheddar for maybe sticks or polish for my brother.  Still got venison left from him.  I will still grind it twice when I make old fashion wieners for the grandkids and my nephews kids.  good luck.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Was going to finish the sausage yesterday but between grandkids and running around  didn't do it.  Today I thought I was not going to do it again between doing the driveway and grandkids but got it done.  The done pics will come tomorrow but I got the start.  Some of the summer sausage after I stuffed it.  good luck.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Got it done two days ago.  Having to work 4 days in a row so a good friend of mine at work can use up his vacation days kept me busy.  One more month to go and I'm done with work.  I want these guy's to use up their vacation times until they find help which right now is hard to do.  No butchers around.  But February is my last month.  Anyway I stuffed these in non edibal collagen casings.  Put them in the oven at 250 deg. 

Now if I said this in a smoking forum site on the web I would be told the temp is too high and the fat will render and more.  I say BS.  I have never had anything render doing this.  I use a good binder and the proper amount of water with using this is key.  Also making sure the casings get stuffed without gaps and giving them a cold water bath when the internal temp is reached is also important.  To the experts the proper internal is something around 150 it seems..  Really??  Ground meats are safe at 165 as far as I know.  That apply's to sausage as well.  I pull mine at that temp and as you can see it turnes out great.  Perfect texture.  Now I also believe in the smoker you can gradually start the smoker at 150 and work yourself up  to 180 until the internal temp is reached.  That is because the effects of the smoke is needed.  In the oven the smoke is not needed.  Anyway here is how it turned out.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that looks so good!!!  I'll send ya my address!!!   enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks great Reiny!!!👍👍👍

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I got the venison jalapeno summer sausage cut up and vac packed.  20 pieces for my brother.  Kept a few chunks for me also.  Now to work on small batches out of the book [Rytak Kutas book].  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:hubba: