Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Deer input workshops underway  (Read 1226 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Deer input workshops underway

More deer or fewer deer? Reminder: Tonight is the first workshop for deer population goal-setting in Alexandria! Join us at Alexandria Technical & Community College – or in St. Paul, at the satellite location – from 6-9 p.m. You’ll help identify priorities for managing the deer population in deer permit areas 213, 214, 215, 218, 239, 240, 273, 276 and 277.

The other remaining workshops are all 6-9 p.m. with locations on the DNR website.

Permit areas 101, 103, 105, 108, 110, 111 and 114 are Wednesday, Jan. 29, and Thursday, Feb. 27;
Permit areas 201, 208, 209, 256, 257, 260, 261, 263, 264, 267 and 268 are Thursday, Jan. 30, and Wednesday, Feb. 26;
Permit areas 262, 265, 266, 269, 270, 271, 272 and 297 are Monday, Feb. 24;
Permit areas 213, 214, 215, 218, 239, 240, 273, 276 and 277 are Wednesday, Jan. 22; and Tuesday, Feb. 25.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Had anyone gone to one of these or anything similar. What was your experience if you did??

I often thought of going to one of these when they have them in the area we hunt  :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  I was at the Alex meeting last night. One of the best workshop meetings the DNR has put on IMO. They spent some time telling us what they'd like us to look at as far as population goals. In the break-out groups time was also spent on winter severity, talked about bucks, crop depervation and CWD. These are two part meetings where we talked these subjects and the second of these meetings will be more about how many deer should be taken each year and from where (location, permit areas). If you missed the first meeting please try to make it to the second one.
   Hot topics were CWD, getting youth out hunting, harvesting more does in certain areas and "earn a buck". Remember if we don't go to these goal setting meetings we shouldn't be doing any complaining about what is done.
   :happy1:   
mm

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Markn, who is actually there from the DNR????? do they actually listen and take into consideration what they are being told.

thing with all the info and feedback they get and try to implement, mother nature still has the final word. fortunetly we havent had alot of subzero days or consecutive subzero days yet, but that 30 plus inches of snow in northern minnesota gotta be tough on the deer herd!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  Barb Keller, the big game program leader, started us out. She spoke about everything that's going on as far as what they are doing. About half of DNR persons there were from St. Paul and the other half were all of the local DNR from Sauk Rapids, Fergus Falls, Glenwood being he first three I recall. As far as listening to the public I think they are starting to take hunters very serious now as far as what we think and what we are seeing. With hunting (and fishing?) numbers in a decline they are anxious to get more people back in the woods (and on the lakes). I have attached a screen shot of the DNR's website where you can take a survey. It's link is in the orange block upper left corner. If I was smarter I would know how to attach the link itself. The survey only takes about three minutes to do. Please, everyone take this survey. Feb. 25 at 6:00 is the next meeting in Alex. at the Alex. Tech. law enforcement building in the auditorium.
 :happy1:
mm