Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trigger time  (Read 6221 times)

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I got in a much needed range session this week.  I have one of those FEG clones of the Browning Hi-Power, and I always forget what a joy that gun is to shoot.  Even with my limited handgun skills, it's very accurate. My wife's Shield EZ is a good shooter too.  Ran some .380 though the little Taurus-man that thing's snappy. Not a whole lot of fun to shoot, but as a small concealed carry option, it does it's job. My 9mm Shield worked flawlessly, as it always has.  I ran about 20 rounds through the AR, but it's not much of a challenge shooting indoors at 50 yards.  "A good time was had by all."

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
My .40 Shield is my 2nd  favorite of my handguns. Nice, balanced gun. I love it.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
My conceal and carry is rather large....but I love it, a 1911 Colt.
I wouldn't give it up fur nuth'in!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always wanted a Colt Python.  We have talked about this before. My buddy bought a brand new one at Dick's Sporting goods.    He said this is the end of an era.  His brand new one was stainless with those black rubber grips was $600.  I wish I knew then what I know now.  Well now another buddy told me last week they started making them again and there is a waiting list at gun shops.  He is on the list for the next one at Scheels.  But they are $1,200 - $1,500?????   I think is what he said.  That's $1,000 cheaper than a used one I think.  A nice auto would fun to have too. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I finally agreed to sell my .357 model 19 combat mag for $900 to a buddy... :undecided:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have a Colt Python as well, but packing that one would need "extra" room....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
For an auto that is easy and fun to shoot what would you buy.  Something in a 9MM or go for the .40 so it is legal to actually take hunting.  Cuz ya the Python would be kind of big.  I would love to see a pic of that Python HD. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wifes calling.  See ya later.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
For an auto that's just plain fun to shoot, I'd go with some of the Ruger SR .22's.....shot a few, and lotsa fun! Way cheaper, too.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a Colt Python as well, but packing that one would need "extra" room....

mine is a 6 inch ribbed barrel..  bought in 1967... nice Colt....  to big to carry too!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
For an auto that is easy and fun to shoot what would you buy.  Something in a 9MM or go for the .40 so it is legal to actually take hunting.  Cuz ya the Python would be kind of big.  I would love to see a pic of that Python HD.

I have the opportunity to hunt with a .357 Python, but don't do it.  Being accurate with a handgun takes a lot of practice - and for me anyway - anything beyond right under my stand would be too far away.  Besides, I've seen how far deer can go after getting hit with high power rifles.  I wouldn't want to lose a deer cause I shot it with a pistol.  That is just me, but I have thought about it.

And .40s are still popular with law enforcement or self defense folks, there is a shift back to 9mms.  The pros and cons have been argued here and elsewhere.

But for fun?  Reb is right about .22s.  Pick out a cool looking pistol and have a ball.  I've seen some Ruger Mark IV target pistols with a few after market parts that were very accurate and fun.

But if still want to feel some pop, I'd look to a steel 9mm.  The extra mass - compared to may polymer 9mms designed for concealed carry - tames the recoil and makes it a pleasure to shoot for extended practice sessions.  Gopher's recommendation of the Browning Hi Power fits this category, but they don't make them anymore.  Otherwise check out the Beretta 92, or better still, the CZ 75 (or later adaptations - 85, Shadow, etc).

Picking out your piece is a big part of the fun.  Good luck.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a 380 that fits well for conceal carry.  Giving that one to my wife when she get's her certificate.  Yes the Ruger 22 is a great target gun.  Mine is very accurate.  I also have a 357 mag that I have used for deer hunting a couple of times but never took a shot at a deer because they were not in a safe range.  Just bought a 45 which I like a lot.  In the summer months they are harder to conceal.  Thinking about getting a leg holster for it in the summer.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have harvested a few deer with my Python. Furthest one was 10 yards, and the closest was a foot off the end of the barrel.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like you could make a case for self defense on that "one foot" shot - as long as you didn't hit it in the  :mooning:.

HD:  Just curious... what type of bullets did you use?

I always thought a steel frame .380 would also make a nice all day target plinker, but the ammo is a little more expensive than 9mm.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
.380 more spendy than the 9mm? Only about .02 a rd more; look around at Flat Farm. I've seen it same price. Where are you buying...Bubba's shoot'em up shop?  :laugh:
For real fun, get a .22 WMR mag revolver. Used to have a High-standard MK IV 9 shot one, wish I woulda kept it...sure was a sweet gun!
« Last Edit: January 01/24/20, 12:24:57 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the replies guys.  Good stuff here.  If it wasn't so big, I'd carry the Hi Power clone, but with a full mag, it's too heavy for me for CC. I really like that old gun though.  Most likely a retired police sidearm.  'Wish I knew it's story.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Here ya go LPS.....

And Steve-O....158 Federals.....  :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice gun HD!