Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Replacing carpet with vinyl flooring in my boat  (Read 7435 times)

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
I have a 2003 Alumacraft 175 Tournament Pro. I am wondering if any of you have experience with replacing carpet with vinyl. The bottom of my boat is carpeted and the carpet is getting pretty beat up. I have a piece of vinyl flooring that I can use to put down after removing the carpet. I have been advised that removing the carpet is no easy task. Curious if any of you have done this and have any suggestions. I'm only looking at replacing the bottom level in the boat - a much less  complicated area than the upper level. It's a tiller so don't have to work around a console area.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys!
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am exactly where you are Dough.  I will never buy a boat with carpet again.  My carpet isn't bad in my 2003 Lund fisherman but I wish it was vinyl.  Wonder what it would cost to have someone just do it or how hard is it??

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I replaced my carpet in my boat 5-6 years ago......but I took the old floor out and replaced the wood too. yea it was a chore.

I could imagine it be a huge chore just to remove just the carpeting.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
I am exactly where you are Dough.  I will never buy a boat with carpet again.  My carpet isn't bad in my 2003 Lund fisherman but I wish it was vinyl.  Wonder what it would cost to have someone just do it or how hard is it??

I have asked at a couple dealers, Hallberg threw out a number like $5000 and I also asked at a smaller shop in LaCrosse and there very vague number was quite a bit less but still pricey.
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Most places roll 3M contact cement or trim adhesive on, then lay the carpet and roll that. Nothing I know of that can break that contact cement bond except dynamite...

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
I replaced my carpet in my boat 5-6 years ago......but I took the old floor out and replaced the wood too. yea it was a chore.

I also replaced the floor and recarpeted an older 16' Lund. It was a much simpler boat though. Maybe I need to think about it as replacing the entire floor instead of removing the carpet. Plus then I would have a nice cutout for cutting the new floor and could access everything from the bottom. Not sure if the floor butts up to the sides or extends underneath the sides.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I also replaced the floor and recarpeted an older 16' Lund. It was a much simpler boat though. Maybe I need to think about it as replacing the entire floor instead of removing the carpet. Plus then I would have a nice cutout for cutting the new floor and could access everything from the bottom. Not sure if the floor butts up to the sides or extends underneath the sides.
:happy1: pretty much how we did it. I had my at that time son in law help. he does cabinet work and much better with woodwork then me. we had to adjust for the new carpeting and make the wood pieces a bit smaller.

but if your going to put tile down you shouldn't need to. and as we figured...……. you can always trim it down if its to tight!! :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Most places roll 3M contact cement or trim adhesive on, then lay the carpet and roll that. Nothing I know of that can break that contact cement bond except dynamite...
its what we did to. added contact cement and staples!!!!!! the staples where we wrapped it around the edge of the wood.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm thinking of getting a Lund Alaskan or a 180 Hewescraft used just so I don't have carpet.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm thinking of getting a Lund Alaskan or a 180 Hewescraft used just so I don't have carpet.
I don't hate carpet in the boat that much to have to get a different boat!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I kind of like getting different boats.  I think I am on boat #29 now.  That includes canoes and smaller boats I had as a kid too.  And pontoon boats. 
« Last Edit: February 02/25/20, 06:46:07 PM by LPS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My dream boat was the lund predator. Went with a guy to Canada that had one. Lived the layout and the wood grain trim.

When I could finally afford a bigger boat there where mine to be had. The Lund 1600 stinger I have now is really close to the same layout, just not as fancy

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a 2003 Alumacraft 175 Tournament Pro. I am wondering if any of you have experience with replacing carpet with vinyl. The bottom of my boat is carpeted and the carpet is getting pretty beat up. I have a piece of vinyl flooring that I can use to put down after removing the carpet. I have been advised that removing the carpet is no easy task. Curious if any of you have done this and have any suggestions. I'm only looking at replacing the bottom level in the boat - a much less  complicated area than the upper level. It's a tiller so don't have to work around a console area.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys!

You don't fish a lot of Slimers do yea?  You may want to put a catch net at the back of the boat, for you and your buddies!   :drinking:   :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm going to call Alumacraft and see if they can answer a few questions for me. I'll let you know what I find out.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
My dream boat was the lund predator. Went with a guy to Canada that had one. Lived the layout and the wood grain trim.

When I could finally afford a bigger boat there where mine to be had. The Lund 1600 stinger I have now is really close to the same layout, just not as fancy

I remember da 1600 Stinger I used ta have. I loved dat boat :wowza:. Dat was until some  :moon:  hole blew a light at 2:30 am and smashed into it broad side. Impact tore da hitch on da car wit da boat & trailer totaled. Crazy :crazy: part was dat da boat wound up totally upside-down still on da trailer. I would love ta see dat on video. Had ta use a flatbed tilt tow truck ta scrape er and da trailer up off da ground.

Da next new Lund I replaced it wit was a Lund Angler. Dat one was totaled in Minn while tied ta da dock at 3:00 am. Massive storms wit brutal straight line winds broke da tie lines and pounded da boat against da huge rocks on da shoreline Totaled. :doah:  Da wholecamp was full of damaged and lost boats along wit downed trees and everything ya could imagine.

Anyhow I replaced it wit "What Else" a-nudder new Lund and just ta show dat I'm still on topic it has a vinyl floor !   Always had carpet in da past but, I now like da vinyl better. :happy1:

« Last Edit: February 02/26/20, 01:58:42 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman

I remember da 1600 Stinger I used ta have. I loved dat boat :wowza:. Dat was until some  :moon:  hole blew a light at 2:30 am and smashed into it broad side. Impact tore da hitch on da car wit da boat & trailer totaled. Crazy :crazy: part was dat da boat wound up totally upside-down still on da trailer. I would love ta see dat on video. Had ta use a flatbed tilt tow truck ta scrape er and da trailer up off da ground.

Da next new Lund I replaced it wit was a Lund Angler. Dat one was totaled in Minn while tied ta da dock at 3:00 am. Massive storms wit brutal straight line winds broke da tie lines and pounded da boat against da huge rocks on da shoreline Totaled. :doah:  Da wholecamp was full of damaged and lost boats along wit downed trees and everything ya could imagine.

Anyhow I replaced it wit "What Else" a-nudder new Lund and just ta show dat I'm still on topic it has a vinyl floor !   Always had carpet in da past but, I now like da vinyl better. :happy1:

So what ur sayin is you cant drive or tie up a boat to save your  :moon: ...  :rotflmao:  aww I'm just joshin Lee . So the vinyl  isn't slickery after borgie boats all dem  :fish2:  :Fish: :Fish: 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

So what ur sayin is you cant drive or tie up a boat to save your  :moon: ...  :rotflmao:  aww I'm just joshin Lee . So the vinyl  isn't slickery after borgie boats all dem  :fish2:  :Fish: :Fish:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: of it's all day hot nite crawler slime. :shocked: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Dude, with your luck you need to get a plastic kayak and save some money!  :shocked: 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

Dude, with your luck you need to get a plastic kayak and save some money!  :shocked:

Tank goodness I wasn't lookin fur sympathy from any a jews bums. We don't expect anyone here at MNO ta feel sorry us no madder what misfortunes :pouty: come our way! As fur me.... I'm just as nasty training-087 as da rest of ya on here. I wouldn't have it any udder way! :happy1:

Bless Ya My MNO Brothas'. :bow:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: February 02/27/20, 12:30:34 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman