Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: rough cut mowers.  (Read 1403 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I know we had a nice discussion about this awhile back and I will try to find it to learn something.  I have a 44" finish pull behind mower.  Works great but I mow a lot of acres and it is now feeling too small.  My neighbor has a Acre ease 57" rough cut mower he told me to go get and try out.  It is not for sale or I'd buy it.  He has it dialed down to where it is cutting like a finish mower.  I don't want to mess with his setting or I would leave it a little higher since Bucko eats in that pasture and I worry and wonder if I am ruining the healthy parts of the greens when I mow them..   OK so what do you all have for pull behind mowers.  DE you had a lot to say I think.  I am hoping to find a nice used about 60" rough cut now that I used his.  I mow stuff a foot or more tall with weeds mixed in so have to be kind of tough mower. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
get Markn to check all his sites he's on!!!!    :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
I had a DR tow behind brush mower that worked great with tall grass. I recently sold it due to lack of use. I know deadeye has a Swisher tow behind he uses and he likes it too. I have seen Swishers on Craigslist occasionally, but DRs are hard to find. Hope that helps. I’ll keep my eyes open.
mm

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a Bush Hog pull behind at deer camp. That has been good for us. I think that is a 48".
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Here's my post from June 19, 2018.  It's still true today.

I have two "rough cut/brush" mowers".  Both are tow behind 44" mowers.  I used (and abused) the Swisher for 15 years before the motor blew up two years ago.  I go a replacement for around $425.  When the Swisher blew up I bought a DR rough cut 44" tow behind from Runnings.  Last fall we used both of them and I will say the DR mower wins hands down.  There are a number of things that make it the clear winner.  Two big things stand out.  The DR has 4 wheels and can easily be moved around and backed up while the Swisher has only two and is hitch heavy and very difficult to back up because the backend digs in and stops you.  Second thing is the wheel placement.  The DR has them in front and back so it has an overall narrower foot print and you can cut right next to tree fences etc. while the Swisher has them on the out side making it much wider and you cannot cut close to anything.  Both mowers required some modifications to the hitch/towing system.  Swisher had some cockamany pin system that I cut off and put on a ball hitch.  The DR comes with a ball hitch but it has a very long articulated draw bar (to offset the mower) that makes it so you need a 10 acre field to turn around on.  I cut the thing down to 4 feet and offset it where it connects to the mower.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info.  Good stuff. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man they are not cheap neither.  Gonna have to do some serious sucking up to get the wife on board with one. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck Barry!  ;)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a Bush Hog pull behind at deer camp. That has been good for us. I think that is a 48".
I ground a lot of bearings & seals on the output gears on those Bush Hogs until the plant here closed in 92.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I got me a mower.  Cost me $5,400 and a week ago I wouldn't have dreamt I would spend that much.  After using my neighbors I had to have one of these.  It has the optional tires filled with silicone, the extra 2 bars across the front and back, has the ball hitch, and the bracket to switch hitch from one side to the other.  Has a 27 horse motor and I can even drive over hay left from the winter and it just chews it right up and I don't even hear it slowing down. Best of all we have a dealer here in Baudette which surprised me.  Johnson Auto has them.   I can mow foot tall grass and weeds at 6-8 mph with my Ranger.  That is flying.  This will save me countless hours and I can't wipe the smile off my face when using it.  LOL Manufactured by KUNZ manufacturing in IL.  Matt is the owner and a great guy to talk to.  Good website too.

y

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
well........that spells or looks to me like more time for LPS to get into trouble to me!!!!!1 :evil: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

nice looking getup bud!!!!!!!!!1
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am still kissing up from this one.  Like I told the wife.  We aren't getting any younger and we have 19 acres to maintain.  This will go a long way to making it easier for us. (ME)  We have constantly been cutting certain trees in the woods that I have heated the garage with for 12 or 13 years.  Still have lots to cut so this helps out immensely.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Thats awesome!! Good for yu!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup Good for you guys!!!   enjoy!!!    :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice looking mower Barry. Congratulations on the “kid”. :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a nice stup Barry!  :happy1: Sounds like a work horse.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
yep boys and there toys!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: do i see a battery case.......so electric start???????

must be for the wife when she wants to use it!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

next thing he's going to try and convincethe wife he needs another big shed to store all his toys!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil:
« Last Edit: June 06/10/23, 10:00:52 AM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn I have been working on the shed deal for a long time.  LOL

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Just build it. Worked for me.  :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am very envious of yours Mark.   Very nice "shed".  LOL

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like a great machine. I believe you when you talk about the smile on your face.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***