Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lightning bugs.  (Read 1524 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Anyone seen many this year? I keep thinking I should have seen some by now.

Do you call them lightning bugs or fireflies?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
think I seen one not so long ago, but not many over the last few years....  and we called them fireflies .... 
« Last Edit: June 06/11/23, 07:23:48 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
fireflies!!!!!!!!!!!! havent seen any yet..........maybe up north next week.........if i can stay up that late!!!!!!!! :doah: :shocked: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup after thinking some it was fireflies...   

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I call them either one these days. Growing up we called them lightning bugs. We spent many hours capturing them and putting them in mason jars. Saw my first one of the season last Tuesday 6/6 right outside the bedroom window. Their appearance coincides roughly with the corn rootworm beetle egg hatch as it takes about the same GDU's. I haven't seen that many fireflies/lightning bugs so far but it is relatively early. As we move into later June and July our backyard usually a great place to view them.

http://www.minnesotaseasons.com/Insects/firefly_Lampyridae.html
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't seen one yet.  There was a good article in the Volunteer awhile back showing how the light is produced. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I seen some down in Buffalo this past weekend.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Numbers are increasing here. Poppy is starting to chase them. Could be a long summer.  :doah:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
      Anyone seen many this year? I keep thinking I should have seen some by now.

Do you call them lightning bugs or fireflies?

I call them lightning bugs.  Seen the first couple last night.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We always called them fireflies. We would put them in baby food jars and take them to our rooms at night. Finally dad had enough of hearing us say
"Mine's blinking. Is your's blinking?" We had fun with simple pleasures back then.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember running all over the neighborhood with a big mayonnaise jar, chasing fireflies in the evening. Running around, barefoot, with glass jars and drinking from the garden hose. How did we survive?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
seen some at the cabin this past week.........the one night i stayed up past dark!!!!!!!! :shocked: :shocked: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just asked the wife.  She hasn't seen one this year neither.  Not out after dark as much as we used to neither. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I'm no kind of scientist but I wonder if the dry conditions or all the smoke from Canadian wildfires have anything to do with the lack of fireflies.
      Any ideas?

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
What do they do during the day??? I sure hope they aren't out n about cuz my fly trap was full.. sorry.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
At least at the ranch, they seem to prefer the wetter seasons. Last year was pretty good but the summer before they were unreal, almost like something from another planet.They just sorta hang out in the taller grass during the day and fly mainly at night looking to hook up.. To the best of my knowledge the adults don't feed, just mate & lay eggs.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
What do they do during the day??? I sure hope they aren't out n about cuz my fly trap was full.. sorry.
naw i wont worry boober.........those flies you get in them are them sh!t eating type of flies. i've been putting them out for years and the only thing that goes in them are fies!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife took Jake out around midnight last night and said there were a few fireflies around.  Not a lot but a few.  She also heard coyotes south of us.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I was driving home after dark the other night when a firefly with its butt lit smashed into my windshield.  The smear continued to glow for about 15 more seconds before the juice ran out. 

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember as a kid seeing them smashed on the pavement and still glowing.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Finally saw a bunch Friday night. Sat out in the back yard for a couple of hours. Watching, listening and smoking my pipe. Awesome.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Minn Bound had a good show last night again!!!   Fireflies was the first part!!!    look the show up and it should be repeated a couple times this week!!!   and they are a beetle!!