Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: corona pandemic~  (Read 503782 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Aside from getting feed once or twice a week, a semi-weekly grocery run, necessary work runs to pay bills, do some banking & get the mail every few days, it's meant lots of time at home. We don't waste time when we go either. Get in & get out. A lot less exposure than we had considering she was working 6-7 days a week and I was to town and back most days twice with work & checking for lambs at noon. I look at this as retirement practice. Ruby is loving it. She took a nap laying against my leg for about an hour yesterday. She's going to have a complex when things get back to normal.  :cry:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Reb.   The Minnesota Stasi has a hotline for anti-social folks like them.

-------------------------------
ov. Tim Walz said he supports the hotline number set up to let Minnesotans report on violations of social distancing guidelines, despite complaints that it represents a form of Big Brother with neighbors reporting on neighbors. Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka wrote on Twitter: “Please take this hotline down @GovTimWalz  It’s not necessary and it’s not how Minnesotans want to treat each other. We can all show a bit of kindness to our neighbors as we manage our times and needs differently in the stay at home efforts.”

“We simply want people to be able to call and let folks know and it’s for their own good,” Walz said. The governor compared it to numbers where people can report fires.

“If we see people who might not be as informed on this, it’s an educational piece,” he said. “We’re not gonna take down a telephone number that allows people to try to keep their neighbors safe.” The numbers and email address are: 651-793-3746 or email SAHviolation@state.mn.us.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: I have no idea why this Gazelka is doing this???? he's been bucking this from the day Walz put the order in place...…….and guess what in my oinion its gonna be extended.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
its no secret I visit other sites. well, IDO has been smoking any thread regarding this COVID-19, with the warning don't do it anymore or there will be membership consequences. a little harsh maybe, but then anything that turns even thr slightest bit political does get smoked.........locked.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Aside from getting feed once or twice a week, a semi-weekly grocery run, necessary work runs to pay bills, do some banking & get the mail every few days, it's meant lots of time at home. We don't waste time when we go either. Get in & get out. A lot less exposure than we had considering she was working 6-7 days a week and I was to town and back most days twice with work & checking for lambs at noon. I look at this as retirement practice. Ruby is loving it. She took a nap laying against my leg for about an hour yesterday. She's going to have a complex when things get back to normal.  :cry:
since this order has been put in place, I went to the Union Hall once and for a drive around the lakes. my wife went to st cloud to do some banking and get grub at cashwise. that is it. she did say they have 6 ft apart markings on floor at checkout and the barricade between the cashier and customer.

I need to go to the Hall again today. other then its a you cant or shouldn't go out and about the mere fact you shouldn't makes this a little tougher, but this really isn't out of the norm of what we do otherwise. we just don't meander out and about a lot.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: I have no idea why this Gazelka is doing this???? he's been bucking this from the day Walz put the order in place...…….and guess what in my oinion its gonna be extended.

They can already call their local police or sheriffs dept. To some it looks like more governmental overreach and gives neighbors who are already having a pi$$ing match for whatever reason one more weapon to use. Where does it stop? Next thing you know the DNR will have a hotline to turn in people harvesting smurfberries out of season... :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

They can already call their local police or sheriffs dept. To some it looks like more governmental overreach and gives neighbors who are already having a pi$$ing match for whatever reason one more weapon to use. Where does it stop? Next thing you know the DNR will have a hotline to turn in people harvesting smurfberries out of season... :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: don't you gotta go stick your head in some sheep doo??????? :confused: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: maybe play with your reddi whip!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

...while heading to the local PO... :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The more I read about this, and it's way more than I care to. The more I think they don't have a clue. I'm not saying this is a hoax but now I read some of the projected numbers have people questioning them.

:surrender: :surrender: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

...while heading to the local PO... :rotflmao:
you apparently must forget to pay for postage. :sleazy: :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
The more I read about this, and it's way more than I care to. The more I think they don't have a clue. I'm not saying this is a hoax but now I read some of the projected numbers have people questioning them.

I have to agree Glenn. Also I think part of the problem is not getting the true info out of China.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am glad we are taking all of these precautions but it would sure be nice to find out things are improving at a faster rate than we expected.  We can't let up on our precautions though.  It is still a real threat to all of us.  A person in Rainy River, right across the river from us has Covid now.  They did come from the US.  Canada at this time hasn't released any info that could be helpful to all of us.  Such as: was this person hanging out in Baudette for any length of time, or shopping in stores or being around people here? 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

You can include the our govenor here as she just came out yday keeping our Stay at Home in place until  4/30. She has also come out & said she doesn't believe her own DOH experts who are sayin it'll be a late peak here & could reach 1300 deaths.  :scratch:  I' m with you LPS as these days I lean more to the other line of thinkin where it's better to over do it out front than to wish you had after. :tut: :crazy:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
On a more up beat note, there's a small auto shop here in town that is making face shields with the help of their 3D printer & they're giving them away! :happy1: :cool: The local 1st responders were some of the 1st to get some. Takes 20 minutes for them to make the frame part that holds the shield in place, they made a few thousand of them so far.
« Last Edit: April 04/03/20, 10:26:00 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good for them Gunner!!!  I the the SIP will be til the end of the month here too..  just sayin.....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

What part do you think they don't have a clue about?   We know the essential part, it is a serious disease that can really f*** you up, especially if you are older and/or not in perfect health, and it is pretty contagious when people are close together, like in a church service or a soccer game or even maybe a crowded store.    And folks are contagious before they get very sick.   

Oh, and most places are not prepared for a whole bunch of people who are really sick all at the same time.   

And there really isn't much we can do about it until the experts find a treatment of sorts, and eventually come up with a vaccine that works and doesn't kill folks.  And that will be a while.   

If it doesn't go away in summer like the flu and colds mostly do, it will be a long year.  And an ugly one.   

So until then we need to stay away from anyone that might have it, far enough away that they can't give it to us.   If you are young and healthy and want to gamble, that would be ok, but then you just make it harder for everyone else once you get it, even if it doesn't make you that sick.   

Meanwhile for some of us, going out and being around people is like playing russian roulette. 

All the rest of the news and information is just noise, although it can be entertaining or interesting noise.   

That's my take. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Del I agree with you..its just now there coming out with people questioning the numbers, so history here says how do you believe anything being said? is it to get people somewhat scared to take it more seriously?

I for one am not taking chances...…...but they also got to concider peoples livelyhoods and scaring the bejesus out of everyone isn't kosher in my book. the good old honest to god truth would be nice.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I am glad we are taking all of these precautions but it would sure be nice to find out things are improving at a faster rate than we expected.  We can't let up on our precautions though.  It is still a real threat to all of us.  A person in Rainy River, right across the river from us has Covid now.  They did come from the US.  Canada at this time hasn't released any info that could be helpful to all of us.  Such as: was this person hanging out in Baudette for any length of time, or shopping in stores or being around people here?
I was often wondering that also, why aren't they telling us where these cases are?? other then just to the county level. watching the news yesterday there is some controversy regarding public information  and the HIPPA law.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
during our conference call we where told that a Business Manager from another part of the country passed away in his sleep over night, thy suspect COVID-19 was an issue. he was 42 years old!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
here is my reasoning for bringing this up.

on MSN's homepage..first article is titles...…….experts and WH advisors doubt COVID-10  death numbers!!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch:

and then you have to wonder just what the heck you can believe!!!!!! :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Oh but ya gotta trust the numbers coming out of China, glenn!  ;) :rotflmao:

The numbers themselves even if they're correct don't tell the whole story. At some point reason and critical thinking needs to take over. Have listened to NY Gov. Cuomo's blathering ad nauseum this week. So far he's tried to tell the rest of the country how they should go about managing their own situations, saying the other day that the rest of the country would end up just like New York because there are places in upstate New York where cows outnumber people. Wait a minute, here's a guy who a few months back said they had everything under control. Now he's got a helluva mess on his hands and has spent a lot of time pointing fingers and blaming people, particularly the federal govt. Probably not a guy I want to pay a lot of attention to. I seriously doubt that upstate New York = North Dakota or South Dakota or western MN for that matter in terms of population density. My closest neighbor is half a mile away even here in SC MN.

When I went to town yesterday to keep the business operating, I stopped at the grocery store quick. Saw a few people I knew but our conversations were brief and we all practiced more than proper social distancing. Having dealt with confinement livestock, at home and through work all these years, I'd like to think I have a concept of what can go wrong when animals including people are crowded together. When I read so much of what is on social media news feeds or even to an extent from the TC, it is geared solely towards those in urban settings. If I were to interpret a lot of what they're writing or saying verbatim, I wouldn't even go out of the house to do chores. Should shut down everything, go hide in the basement and the government will save me.  :bs:  :angry:

Received this yesterday from a friend in his newsletter. He has helped develop models for predicting pest outbreaks and as part of developing economic thresholds for treatment decisions. It's for plant insect and disease management mind you but a lot of the same science still applies. Sorta put things in perspective for me.

"Whether waiting out the pandemic confined to our homes or out on the essential service front lines, most folks now ponder the coronavirus and its current and potential effects on our lives and livelihood.

Are the ever-changing estimates of infection rates, mortality predictions, and flattened curves we are bombarded with right… or wrong? At some point, hindsight will tell us. For now, it is important to remember that these numbers are based on mathematical models; models with limited data on actual infection rates, and on the physical, physiological, and pharmaceutical factors moderating the COVID-19 virus and the disease it causes. They are only predictive models and the odds of the currently calculated best/worst case scenarios being correct are low. They will continue to change as new information is generated and incorporated. When this year’s pandemic is over, the models will be pretty good at describing what happened. Model outputs are seldom entirely accurate, being close enough to be useful is often good enough. So for now, be safe and avoid fear - don’t be stupid either." 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
At this point arguing about projected death totals is like arguing about how deep the ocean is while the Titanic is sinking.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

experts and WH advisors doubt COVID-10  death numbers!!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch:

There's Experts and advisors on a New virus no ones saw before or knows how to stop?  :scratch:

Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Del I agree with you..its just now there coming out with people questioning the numbers, so history here says how do you believe anything being said? is it to get people somewhat scared to take it more seriously?

I for one am not taking chances...…...but they also got to consider peoples livelyhoods and scaring the bejesus out of everyone isn't kosher in my book. the good old honest to god truth would be nice.

The Truth?  You can't handle the truth..  (sorry just channeling jack nicholson there for a minute).    What numbers are people questioning?   Mostly they think there are a lot more folks sick walking around than testing indicates.   Not much evidence things are being over hyped, except by a few dumb or slimy politicians trying to get some sort of advantage.   If anything, some places were late implementing precautions and scaring people so as not to tank the economy.   

And what the h*** is this crap about "considering people's livelyhoods"?  Like, leave the bars open so people can go cough all over everyone?     :angry2: :tut: :thumbs:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

on MSN's homepage..first article is titles...…….experts and WH advisors doubt COVID-10  death numbers!!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch:

Yeah, if you read further it is they think the death numbers in many places are really a lot higher than what is being said.   

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

experts and WH advisors doubt COVID-10  death numbers!!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch:

There's Experts and advisors on a New virus no ones saw before or knows how to stop?  :scratch:

They know how to stop it but it is doubtful that people want to experience the kind of economic pain it would take. A lot of people seemingly think not going to bars and restaurants is a real sacrifice.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

I believe they are talking about the numbers coming out of China.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's all a confusing mess, but I'll do my part best I can.