Minnesota Outdoorsman - Minnesota Fishing and Hunting Reports

Recent

Author Topic: MN want anglers lead-free  (Read 469 times)

Online Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 198
MN want anglers lead-free
« on: February 27, 2020, 08:48:22 PM »
       Minnesota wants anglers to go lead-free to help loons

:doah: Here we go again :doofus:

February 18, 2020

:reporter; Associated Press

(MinnesotaDNR)

:coffee: .....
COLLEGEVILLE, Minn. — The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is launching a new program[/b] to encourage anglers to switch to lead-free fishing equipment as a way to save the state bird, the loon. :doah:

The campaign was created with money from the federal government’s settlement with BP over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Minnesota Public Radio News reported.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service awarded Minnesota agencies more than $6 million from the settlement to help support its loon population after researchers found traces of oil and the chemicals used to disperse the spill in the feathers, eggs and bloodof birds in Minnesota.

About $1.2 million will go toward the public awareness campaign called “Get the Lead Out” over the next three years.

But State Sen. Bill Ingebrigtsen, R-Alexandria, chair of the Minnesota Senate’s Environment and Natural Resources Finance Committee has temporarily delayed the funding so his committee can hold a hearing on the program. He expects approval soon.

In the meantime, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is moving forward. It has already posted a website that lists more than three dozen companies where anglers can find lead-free fishing equipment that won’t harm loons.

While some states have total or partial bans on the use of lead sinkers and jigs, Minnesota’s lead-free campaign is voluntary.

Carrol Henderson, who retired from the state DNR in 2018, led a seven-year study that found Minnesota’s loons were affected by the BP oil spill. He says loons are especially susceptible to lead poisoning because they swallow pebbles at the bottom of lakesto help them grind up their food.

“When they accidentally pick up a lead jig or sinker off the bottom, all it takes is one split shot or one jig to kill the loon from lead poisoning,” Henderson said.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency estimates lead poisoning causes about 14% of loon deaths in the state.

“It’s something that’s totally avoidable if people simply learn to shop for nontoxic jigs and sinkers,” Henderson said, pointing out various lead-free alternatives made from materials like tin, steel, bismuth or tungsten.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:51:58 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1622
Re: MN want anglers lead-free
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:54:38 PM »
I'll switch when I run out of my current sinkers and need to buy new ones. Unless of course if the DNR replace mine free of charge.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 1077
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 07:02:31 AM »
I'll switch when I run out of my current sinkers and need to buy new ones. Unless of course if the DNR replace mine free of charge.
Same here. The smartest thing they could do is just outlaw the manufacturing of lead tackle and just let the supply run out.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 1935
  • Likes Given: 4946
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 07:55:50 AM »
They went through this whole process back in the late 80's early 90's and it all fizzled out.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 423
  • Likes Given: 202
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:22:04 AM »
I will make my own if I can't buy it.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 675
  • Likes Given: 4176
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 08:42:38 AM »
Accordin to our local DNR guys the loons on our lake are doing just fine. We have 8 nesting pairs there every year. :happy1: :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1622
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
Accordin to our local DNR guys the loons on our lake are doing just fine. We have 8 nesting pairs there every year. :happy1: :cool:
the loony bin here appears to be doing fine too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nerd: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 1951
  • Likes Given: 1718
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »
They went through this whole process back in the late 80's early 90's and it all fizzled out.

I remember the DNR handed out some free sample packets of non-lead tackle at Cabelas several years ago. It included a jig with a hook big enough to catch large muskies, some kind of bell sinker with no practical application and a great big split shot. All crap no one would've wanted or would use back in the day in our part of the world anyway. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.  :rolleyes:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Scenic

• Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
I think I have enough for a life time and I'm not switching .  Loons are being used to pull the heart strings.  Back in the early 90s they were making the same noise but the only loon they could find that was a "positive" caused by fishing tackle was one with a hook lodged in it's throat.  They were sure a jig caused this loon to die of lead poisoning.  The 4/0 hook lodged in it's throat and the line from a live bait rig had nothing to do with it. :crazy:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 406
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 10:51:12 PM »
Some bass guys like tungsten because it is denser than lead and harder too. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 730
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 07:52:30 AM »
I remember the DNR handed out some free sample packets of non-lead tackle at Cabelas several years ago. It included a jig with a hook big enough to catch large muskies, some kind of bell sinker with no practical application and a great big split shot. All crap no one would've wanted or would use back in the day ...

I remember my kids picking up that same lead-free tackle packet at the sports show or something.  I think they are still in the package in the bottom of their old tackle boxes.

... but the only loon they could find that was a "positive" caused by fishing tackle was one with a hook lodged in it's throat.  They were sure a jig caused this loon to die of lead poisoning.  The 4/0 hook lodged in it's throat and the line from a live bait rig had nothing to do with it.

Yeah, and the deer in my freezer died of lead poisoning too.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Liked: 406
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 08:39:34 AM »
I think I have enough for a life time and I'm not switching .  Loons are being used to pull the heart strings.  Back in the early 90s they were making the same noise but the only loon they could find that was a "positive" caused by fishing tackle was one with a hook lodged in it's throat.  They were sure a jig caused this loon to die of lead poisoning.  The 4/0 hook lodged in it's throat and the line from a live bait rig had nothing to do with it. :crazy:.

Yeah, and they couldn't find any eagles and hawks that had been killed by ddt either, but it was banned and now we have a lot more of both and their eggs don't break.   

My only problem with tungsten (the steel sinkers pretty much suck)  is that it is expensive.   

Video