Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: View from the blind~  (Read 5569 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
 glorious morning,migration is in full swing....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
wow......what part of south dakota you at snow?????? i was in sioux falls wed, but didnt see nuttin like that!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Thought you were busy countin all the dead  :deer:. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
You don't normally see migrations inside a donut shop.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You don't normally see migrations inside a donut shop.
:pouty: :pouty: get it right!!!!!!!! :doah: :pouty: steak house!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: March 03/06/20, 08:35:33 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
glorious morning,migration is in full swing....

I see a decoy head in that field........ :scratch:

"View from the Blind"...that would be a good name for an opinion column from people that can't see..... :doah:  I just had to say that. I really did.  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: March 03/06/20, 11:33:44 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
mound city missouri,south dakota in two weeks maybe less? they follow the snow line and its going fast,couple young bucks scouting followed a huge wad to yankton sodak area yesterday birds dropped in to a cut corn field late afternoon about 10k then just before dark they lifted and headed back south to water on the river,they have feed but need water too,they'll keep pushing north as the snow melts and as long as it doesn't dump more snow,I've been on a good shoot in the turtle mtn area of nodak years back with 1000's of snow geese in our area,that night 6"s of snow fell,next morning not a bird in the area,phone call later said they flew back to central nebraska,yo yo effect in the spring.

need to restock my ammo supply so heading home saturday evening this new bismuth ammo from hevi shot is the bomb,better than hevi metal in my book and 1/2 price of hevi shot,but hevi shot hands down for hi-flyers,even broke out the 10ga as we ran out of 12ga ammo

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think Springs here. Geese were honkin' overhead again this am.  :happy1:  Good luck on the shoot!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
had to have your head on a swivel so many birds coming in,alot of fully plummbed ducks early spring,trophy pintails,redheads,cans were buzzin our setup,this pic is the center vortex of what we call the "tornado" alot of smaller groups join groups about to land,sometimes dropping down from the stratousphere,takes several minutes for em to get within gun range,very cautious birds,so many eyes eye balling the spread,one guy can bust the entire shoot by moving his gun or peaking,using ecallers in the spring helps alot but most snow geese won't finish completely except for the young/dumb juvies,they just keep circling and circling getting lower and lower sometimes they see something and poof off they go.

years back shot a couple old banded snow geese called the tags in one was 18years old the other was 21yrs old,so very educated to decoy spreads and calls plus ain't worth a shete to eat so few hunters go after them and the population just keeps growing,last time I  checked we had over 5 million just in the central flyway,10 million eastern flyway bout the same to the west...they wreak havoc on the tundra killing vast area's of tundra down to the soil so nothing grows,food sources for many other critters and habitat are gone

When I first started these spring hunts over 20 yrs ago the usfw folks started a champign destroying they're nests until peta caught wind and filed a law suit,so fast forward we shoot 'em,make a small dent in population but enjoyable none the less

« Last Edit: March 03/09/20, 01:42:27 PM by snow1 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
how'd ya do???????????

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll get some pic's up,,whackin n stackin until ammo ran out,surrounded at times and couldn't load fast enough,one day I kept two loaded shotguns in my blind,local farmer took a bunch of our geese to feed his hogs,said it was the best way to eat the geese,said the geese taste just like pork when he butchers the pigs....lol,best day we shot 186 4 guyz

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Man that brings back  alot of memories snow, we always went northwest of Watertown bout 20 miles or so got to know several farmers and just hunted the area, some years decoying worked some times jumping worked. I cant believe we never buried a pick up in the fields setting up dekes.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
agreed bobber,on the fence about sodak next week because of the next big weather model sunday thru next wednesday,could be significant snow event out west,but my bag is packed,gun's cleaned,ammo re-supplied,pup is always at ready if the shoe drops I'm gone.,my favorite way to hunt in sodak is pass shooting in the spring when possible,fields get to greasy,farmers block side roads so hunters don't screw roads up we'll see what mother nature brings,still plenty of birds migrating up from the south and plenty of time.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
last week....

« Last Edit: March 03/11/20, 08:06:28 AM by snow1 »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well another view,from south dakota,my fav pass shooting with a farmer friend we're practicing self isolation bangin a few snow geese,(we drove seperate)
 Hevi shot Bismuth is doing the job just fine,better than hevi metal and 1/2 the price of Hevi Shot... but can't be picky when your running low on ammo.but way better than any of the steel loads out there buddy was shooting black cloud,dusting birds but not killing em ,didn't take long before he was pilfering in my shell bag.

« Last Edit: March 03/26/20, 10:55:21 AM by snow1 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks fun!!  The pup looks happy too!!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll take that any day over sittin' here!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :fudd:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That does look like a blast.