Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New Toy - Blackstone 36" Griddle  (Read 5920 times)

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well, again, lots of time on my hands.  I bought a 36" Blackstone Griddle on-sale at Cabela's back in January and it's been sitting in the box, waiting for warmer weather. 38 Deg and partly cloudy was enough for me.  Cleaned my garage to make some room (want to keep this thing out of the elements), seasoned the cooktop and got to work!  Supported my local Meat Market yesterday and picked up 2 lbs of Ground Chuck, 1 lb of bacon and some fresh bakery buns that they also sell.

Cooktop seasoning - pretty much like a big cast iron pan.  Fire it up, get the top hotter than Hades, and throw some oil on it.  Spread it around with a tongs and a wad of paper towel and let it smoke for a while. Repeat a couple of times until you get a good cooked-in oily surface.

Burgers - simply hand-pattied ground chuck and salt/pepper.  Buttered the buns, chopped some onion, unwrapped the bacon and cheese slices and brought it all out to the griddle.  Bacon went down first and I fried that until about 80% done - then put the far right burner to low and moved it all over to that side in a loose pile to finish/keep warm.  Then I used a spatula to scape the grease into the trap, but left a fair amount on the griddle to cook the burgers.  Patties and onions went on next.  Once the onions were about done, I moved those over by the bacon to keep warm.  Patties got a nice, seared crust from the grease and kept all of their juice because it doesn't drip away (or potentially flare up) like a grill.  Put buns down to toast, added the cheese and BOOM!

I was excited when I got this but the results were so amazing, that I'm even more excited now. I've cooked a thousand burgers and these we're the best Ive ever made, no joke. I love flame grilled burgers but I'm now of the opinion that burgers cooked on a flat-top is the way to go. Can't wait to try a bunch more stuff on this bad boy!
« Last Edit: March 03/22/20, 12:36:44 PM by ThunderLund78 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

:hubba:    :wowza:     :hubba:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks like a great setup!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes, looks great, now when can we all come over for... er, never mind. :pouty:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Yeah, was drinking a beer in the garage while cooking and was REALLY was wishing I could have the neighbors over.  This is gonna be a real bummer for the next few weeks. hope everyone is doing well.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Yeah, was drinking a beer in the garage while cooking and was REALLY was wishing I could have the neighbors over.  This is gonna be a real bummer for the next few weeks. hope everyone is doing well.

Hi! Hope we're not too early!    ;)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
All of us at UPS hate that grill. They are crazy heavy.   We deliver a lot of them.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
flat grilled burgers are hands down the best. how much u pay fornting
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks great! And with a lower carb beer that still has some flavor to boot!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
They usually go for about $325, but over the winter Cabela's had them $80 off so I used some gift cards I was lucky to receive over Christmas and pounced!

Yeah, I think mine came via FedEx and I was home when it was delivered.  The driver unceremoniously dumped it in my driveway, didn't knock or ring the doorbell or anything...  So if I wasn't home it would've been for the taking but any thief would've needed a buddy.  Those big steel tops are HEAVY!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  Thunder, just curious if you looked at the Blackstone Tailgater and what you thought of it. My Aussie is getting pretty ratty and needs to go. Been snooping about it, but I can't find a cover for them either. Big selling point for me because the grill will be outside. Thanks.   :happy1:
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Is there any place you DO like???🥴

Morning Reb. :sleazy: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:offtopic:       :tut:

Morning, putz.  ;)

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  Thanks reb. I was looking for a cover for the small grill, the Tailgater. Still am during break right now.......... :happy1:

P.S. Don't care for that Dicks place either that firearm thing they pulled. Properly named.
mm

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  Thunder, just curious if you looked at the Blackstone Tailgater and what you thought of it. My Aussie is getting pretty ratty and needs to go. Been snooping about it, but I can't find a cover for them either. Big selling point for me because the grill will be outside. Thanks.   :happy1:

Yeah, I looked at them.  They're cool, but I really wanted the biggest flat-top I could find. It's all about what you want it for. I like the versatility of the tailgater and would be good for camping, etc.  But I probably wouldn't use the stove-top burner option much around the house.  Pancakes are a bit of a tradition in my house on the weekends (and big breakfasts), we have an indoor griddle that I can get two - maybe three at  a time on.  This will allow me to get all of them on at once and we can eat together.  Also good for lots of eggs, omelets, and meats all at once!

Excited to do, Philly sandwiches, fajitas, fried rice and steaks as well.  Got two growing boys in the house they're starting to eat like it.  Especially the one hitting his teens - lots of growing going on!

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Oh- and the cover... yeah, it doesn't come with one.  The DO make one, but they're sold separately...

Looks like Blackstone has a new model out that has the 36"griddle top and three air fryer compartments below.  This model has a top built in.  Looks amazing but I think it's pretty spendy.  We do use our air fryer a lot, in fact the fries in the pic up in the first post are from our air fryer.  My only complaint is capacity,  usually takes 2-3 batches to make enough for the family and that's 10-12 minutes a batch.  This new Blackstone has three baskets built in!  Maybe in a couple years.

For now, I'm storing this one in my garage with an old blanket over the top to keep the dust off.  Wheeling it out to cook in the driveway and wheeling it back in.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
 Thanks thunder, I'll keep looking. By the way when my boys, who are 14 months apart, were in their teens it was like feeding a full blow thrashing crew every night. Be prepared.   :happy1:
mm

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got the 3 burner camp chef.   It came with a good sized griddle that does a pretty good job. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got the 3 burner camp chef.   It came with a good sized griddle that does a pretty good job.
OH NO!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead:  i got one of them too!!!!!!! i use it mainly for canning my garden goodies!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
It cans too?! :shocked:

My camp chef has 3x 30k btu burners.   You could boil a lot of water or run a big pressure canner.   And it doesn't heat up the house..   I actually have two of them, one here and one at da lake. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Menards has one of those for sale. I was admiring it when the wife said "NO, YOU HAVE ENOUGH CRAP"

So, all I can say is I'm jealous.....   :pouty:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I like your results with this.  My main concern is how do you clean them.  Are they easy to clean up?  Thanks.  good luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Menards has one of those for sale. I was admiring it when the wife said "NO, YOU HAVE ENOUGH CRAP"

didn't you tell me once it's better to ask for forgiveness then to seek permission. :scratch: :evil: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

didn't you tell me once it's better to ask for forgiveness then to seek permission. :scratch: :evil: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and we have all used that one!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered that too RH.  Are they easy to maintain and clean?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered that too RH.  Are they easy to maintain and clean?
I've never had to do maintenance on mine but cleaning isn't real bad, not easy. After a while it just looks well used!! :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Like yer canning jar tops?   :rotflmao:       Morning, l'il feller!   ;D
« Last Edit: March 03/25/20, 07:36:50 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I like your results with this.  My main concern is how do you clean them.  Are they easy to clean up?  Thanks.  good luck.

Cleaning's a breeze.  Like a cast iron pan, just water and a scraper.  Then I put a thin coat of oil it for storage - it builds up an oily base and becomes essentially non-stick once it's hot.