Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 Spring Turkey Hunting (Black Hills)  (Read 4921 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Happy to report that my daughter & I each received our 2020 Black Hills spring turkey tags in the mail today. The season kicks off on April 11th & runs through the end of May.

My wife’s great uncle made this turkey call for me...excited to test it out.

Wish us luck!
« Last Edit: May 05/13/20, 04:02:09 PM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Good luck, I have always wanted to get out there and give it a try. Lot's of room to get some "distance between folks" out there.  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Good Luck!

We loved our Black Hills hunt  :wowza:

Stay mobile, and scout.... A LOT!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Thanks guys!

The wife has wanted to go “hiking” several evenings since the quarantine started. I have been picking Game Production Areas, so her “hiking” is my “scouting”.  :happy1:
We’ve seen lots of turkeys and I have some spots picked out for next weekends opener.

This morning I dug out decoys and calls and put the Turkey chokes in my Mossberg 835, and Remington 870.

Almost ready!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
We've had some difficult turkey hunting weather both opening weekend (April 11-12) and this past weekend.

The Black Hills spring turkey hunting opener (April 11). Rain, sleet, snow, and fog but I have had a few Tom’s calling back.

Below are a couple photos from opening weekend. The fog was pretty thick, especially down in the ravine where I located the turkeys, but couldn't see more than 10 yards.

« Last Edit: April 04/21/20, 10:50:33 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
This past weekend brought better weather Saturday and my 21 year old son and I went out and called in a couple groups but they hung out just a little too far for a shot. Then Sunday my oldest son and my youngest daughter joined us but we woke up to a snow storm. We still went out, located some turkeys but they were holding up in their roosts all morning because of the storm. We went back out in the afternoon and had a lot of activity but none of us had an opportunity for a shot. It been an exciting first two weekends and the season runs through the end of May so better weather is coming.
« Last Edit: April 04/21/20, 11:10:09 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Keep the updates coming.  Good luck.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Man, you do some serious turkey hunting.  Good for you.  Hope you get some to come in close enough to shoot.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Thinking about heading to our “palace” in the Black Hills to chase some Gobblers But......we have been waiting for some decent weather. Been at least 2 years since I’ve hunted turkeys in the Hills. It’s a long drive, but worth it every trip. Last time out was right after Christmas to shoot some baldies with the smoke poles.

Glad you enjoyed it HD! How many years ago did you and jr. come out to our place??
Get any Red Ass Rhubarb wine lately?? :happy1:
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Thinking about heading to our “palace” in the Black Hills to chase some Gobblers But......we have been waiting for some decent weather. Been at least 2 years since I’ve hunted turkeys in the Hills. It’s a long drive, but worth it every trip. Last time out was right after Christmas to shoot some baldies with the smoke poles.

Glad you enjoyed it HD! How many years ago did you and jr. come out to our place??
Get any Red Ass Rhubarb wine lately?? :happy1:

We were there April of 2017, it was a fun and memorable hunt!  :happy1:
I still have a 1/2 of a bottle left of the case I bought. Just opened the last bottle during Easter.
« Last Edit: April 04/22/20, 10:15:17 AM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
The weather finally cooperated & My daughter and I had success this past Saturday afternoon. It was only a Jake, but we have three tags yet to fill before the end of May.

My in-laws are in town from MN (because my wife’s grandmother turned 100 this past weekend). So, we prepare the turkey the traditional Thanksgiving way on Sunday and everyone enjoyed it!
« Last Edit: May 05/13/20, 11:13:13 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Very good, nice to hear about great hunts.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
3 tags left?? Can you get more than 1 or is it that you have 3 other family members that have tags yet?? Just curious  :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
3 tags left?? Can you get more than 1 or is it that you have 3 other family members that have tags yet?? Just curious  :scratch:

You can apply for leftover licenses and get more than one tag.

But I am referring to that my two sons and one of my daughters each have a tag yet.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

You can apply for leftover licenses and get more than one tag.

But I am referring to that my two sons and one of my daughters each have a tag yet.
:happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Here is a picture of the four of us on the spring opener.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Good lookin crew; raisin em right.  I love the John Randle face paint!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman