Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ignoring Stay-at-Home.....  (Read 8625 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
  ‘Outdoors Remain Open’ In SD, As Nonresidents Ignore Stay-at-Home Orders To Fish :tut:

:coffee: ......
MITCHELL, S.D. — Some officials are upset with what is seemingly an open invitation for nonresidents to travel to South Dakota as the state encourages outdoor enthusiasts to capitalize on its recreational opportunities.

Tribal, county and city governments in central South Dakota have expressed concern that nonresident anglers are ignoring coronavirus-induced stay-at-home orders to visit areas along the Missouri River to chase the spring walleye bite. :undecided: Those officials are also frustrated that the state’s Game, Fish and Parks Department isn’t doing enough to deter nonresidents from using South Dakota’s waters. :pouty:

Crow Creek Sioux Tribal Chairman Lester Thompson Jr., this week wrote a letter to Gov. Kristi Noem, GF&P and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers encouraging the closure of boat accesses along the river to “flatten the curve” of those infected.

“If they’re coming from high-infected areas, shut them down from coming here right now,” Thompson said Tuesday, March 31. “I’ve fielded concerns from local residents who have existing health concerns. They’re fearful, and it seems like we’re inviting people here.” :taz:

Noem has requested for South Dakota businesses to restrict gatherings, but the state’s Department of Game, Fish and Parks has recently called for people to enjoy the outdoors while following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. The department has sent emails reminding people to “make mindful decisions as you care for yourself and your loved ones, but know that our state’s outdoor resources are available and waiting for you.”

“The outdoors remain open, and that’s the message we want to send,” said Kevin Robling, GF&P deputy secretary.  :popcorn: ... “We want to make sure folks are following those CDC guidelines and the guidelines Gov. Noem laid out — the social distancing; the handwashing. But we want people to get outside, enjoy the outdoors and still practice those CDC guidelines during this difficult time.”

On Tuesday morning, Thompson said there were more than 40 boats fishing near the Fort Thompson dam. He said the majority of the truck-trailers that were parked at the access were from Minnesota and Iowa. :rolleyes:

“I’ve got license plates and vehicle make and models,” he said before rattling off several examples. Minnesotans are allowed to go fishing during the stay-at-home order, but its Department of Natural Resources says residents should “stay close to home.” However, Minnesota’s general walleye season is closed until May 9. :confused:

The Brule County Commission and the Chamberlain City Commission have also considered whether enough is being done to prevent nonresidents from visiting. As of Tuesday, Minnesota — which has ordered its residents to stay at home — has had 629 positive cases and 12 deaths from COVID-19. Iowa is at 497 positive cases and seven deaths. South Dakota was at 108 cases with one death as of Tuesday afternoon.

James Nesladek, Brule County Commission chairman, agrees with Thompson that GF&P should close the state’s boat ramps to nonresidents. (say what!) :doah:

“They have the virus worse in their states, and they don’t need to bring it here,” :angry2: he said. “All of the commissioners think we should shut the boat ramps down from the out-of-staters, not South Dakotans. We need to self-quarantine our state so we’re not allowing other states to come in and affect our citizens.” training-087

The Chamberlain City Commission on Thursday will meet  :kingscourt: to consider how to stay proactive to fight the spread of COVID-19. Its members will keep in mind the importance of the economic impact of spring recreation for the community. Several South Dakota towns and cities have closed nonessential businesses, and Chamberlain relies heavily on tourism of people buying bait and tackle, staying in hotels and utilizing gas stations during fishing trips. While there has been some consideration to close boat ramps altogether, the Chamberlain City Commission believes that authority is up to GF&P.

“To give a scene, at this time of year in the spring every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, wherever there’s a dock, it’s packed with trucks, trailers and boats,” said Hannah Ruhlman, Chamberlain city commissioner. “Springtime is kind of when stuff picks up again, and a lot of our businesses rely on this time of year to get a boost. But I know some of our business owners would prefer out-of-staters don’t come, even if it means a hit to their business.”

When notified of the concerns from tribal and local governments on Tuesday afternoon, Robling said GFP is “evaluating circumstances every day, as is the rest of the country.”

“At this time, we do not plan to close state parks and boat ramps or fishing and hunting seasons,” he wrote in an email. “We are encouraging people to get outside while following the social distancing guidelines by Gov. Noem, the Dept. of Health and the CDC.”

Virus impacting fishing business

The demand for those coming from neighboring states has put local businesses in a bind when it comes to paying bills and taking health-related precautionary measures.

Currently, the Platte Creek Lodge sits empty as co-owner Tom Steinhauser was forced to cancel reservations to avoid the spread of COVID-19.

Steinhauser is still offering guide tours, but he has moved to having patrons meet him at the river in their own vehicles rather than riding together from the lodge.

“We still get a lot of people calling every day, and we’re the ones putting a stop to it right now,” Steinhauser said. “… Today, we’ve had three different phone calls from Minnesota people that want to come fishing this week. We’re saying, ‘Aren’t you in a lockdown right now? We’ve only got 100 cases of (COVID-19) and you’ve got (629) cases. I don’t want you bringing it to me.’”

Steinhauser has considered opening a limited number of rooms and sterilizing them for a few days to combat the temptation of making a profit and accepting business that could go elsewhere if he chooses not to provide his services.

“I hate telling people not to come, because they’re going to go somewhere,” Steinhauser said. “They’re going to stay at the local motel or go somewhere. We’d just as soon have them stay with us, but I also don’t want to get sick either.”

With the combination of people being relegated to their homes for more than two weeks, increasingly warmer weather and encouragement from the GF&P, the urge to hit the water has been undeniable for many people.

“Our foot traffic has decreased in the store,” said Todd Heitkamp, owner of Dakota Angler in Sioux Falls, “but those that are coming in are really wanting to get out. They’re going stir-crazy inside.”

Anglers drop their boats into the water at the Randall Creek Boat Ramp to try their luck fishing the Missouri River on Tuesday morning, March 31 just south of the Fort Randall Dam near Pickstown. Matt Gade / Forum News Service

:Photography:
« Last Edit: April 04/16/20, 09:25:18 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Looks like a plan to me!   :happy1:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya it's a tough deal.  But common sense to me is for the Mn guys to fish in our state right now.  I don't care for our governors politics but at least he is not a tyrant like the one they have in Michigan.  I would be right there in the protest line if our governor had dictator like restrictions.  Mississippi River is open in the various pools downstream. People are fishing there.  All the metro lakes and south of here are open and they can fish for panfish ect.  Opener is not that far away.  I don't ever go on opener anyway.  Way too many people and traffic.  Take care of our small buisness's here.  They need a lot of support.  good luck.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
SD has the #1 hotspot for Corona in the nation right now and it's right on the Missouri River.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SD Governor would rather get a pat on the head from the Pres. than protect her people.  That is what this is all about.  We will see how her state fares with the present mode of operation.  Doesn't look like it is faring too well.  And common sense never works.  Not enough people have any. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: so what time of the day, Minnesota time of course, does the orange Man give his press conference?? :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
one thing I heard about the meat plant in SD was that it would have been the same thing no matter what,  the reason being those industries are deemed essential.  so they would have been infected either way they say..  I'm not defending this but repeating what I heard on the news...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lot of the people there are minorities that may or may not be able to even distance themselves from others even at home.  SO they just happen to work there and brought it with them.  A Mexican lady said they didn't hardly have any PPE. They don't want to complain cuz they really need the job. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
PPE in a meat plant? Good luck. Been there, seen that. Mikey knows what I mean. They just had a beef processing plant there close, too.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've worked there too. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I worked in them for 26 years all said and done...  all the way from slaughter to the final shipment from the plant... 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Well short of having everyone's hands tied behind their back. All the PPEs in the world wouldn't do ya any good. I know I am terrible about touching my face, especially my eyes. And most people are the same. The Gov in SD is just giving her people the freedom that the constitution gives them. The Smithfield plant would have been working anyway, just like we are working here.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yep. And being housed here with Mrs. Cheviot, if one of us has it, cold, flu, strep throat, whatever, it's a safe bet we both have or will get it no matter how much we try to avoid each other.

https://www.ecowatch.com/meat-processing-plants-coronavirus-2645711732.html?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3

I got news for the PETA people quoted at the end of the article. If they think each person going vegan is going to save the lives of 200 animals, they're sadly mistaken. If they really believe that, they should think nothing of stepping up to the plate and purchasing all of these animals at fair market price and providing feed, water & housing for them under what they consider humane conditions.   
« Last Edit: April 04/16/20, 03:42:38 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Lot of the people there are minorities that may or may not be able to even distance themselves from others even at home.  SO they just happen to work there and brought it with them.  A Mexican lady said they didn't hardly have any PPE. They don't want to complain cuz they really need the job. 
The Austin neighborhood where I grew up in is now probably 2/3-3/4 Hispanic. Our old house was 3 bedroom when the 5 of us lived there, I'd bet there are twice that many living in there now. A good share of them are most likely workin for Hormel and/or Quality Pork I'd bet.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Gonna be real tough for some farmers with fat hogs. I heard in some areas you can't hardly get rid of beef steers either.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
My Dad grew up in Austin before he went in the Navy after HS.......

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The Austin neighborhood where I grew up in is now probably 2/3-3/4 Hispanic. Our old house was 3 bedroom when the 5 of us lived there, I'd bet there are twice that many living in there now. A good share of them are most likely workin for Hormel and/or Quality Pork I'd bet.

Exactly.  AND they will go to work regardless of the conditions.  That is why they are the ones working there. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, at least they're workers. Never seen too many that are lazy like some other groups.  :rolleyes:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's right Rebs.  Got to respect that!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd work alongside them any day of the week.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Quite a few Philipino's down here working at Zoetis, formerly Pfizer when I was there, & they are all the same way. show up everyday & work their tails off. :Clap:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Being in the construction business those guys go hard at all times. Don't wanna go off topic but what do the Somalians actually do?? Don't see many of them in the field but they are stacked up in their colonys..

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Down here they hang out a lot, and whine they aren't treated right. Talk to my buddy who's a construction crew sup. A lot won't work. All I know is what I see. When I had to go to the social services, for my Mom's stuff, numerous times the last two years, the unemployment/get benefits here lobby was solid with them. That's all I'll say.
« Last Edit: April 04/16/20, 04:52:28 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Being in the construction business those guys go hard at all times. Don't wanna go off topic but what do the Somalians actually do?? Don't see many of them in the field but they are stacked up in their colonys..
there's an awefull lot of them up here in the chicken pluckin place on hwy 23.anx there used to be a pile be of them at Frigidaire before they closed up shop.

2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There are a lot of Somali's at the turkey plant in Pelican Rapids.  Been there for many years.  I think it is open yet.  Might be a Jenni-O but not sure.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
it is..  been there too..

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So you inspected meat at different places Mike?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
So you inspected meat at different places Mike?

I stopped counting when I was getting close to 100 different plants..