Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ribs  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Here's a question, and let's hope we have some by this Summer....

Do you buy frozen ribs? I can get a bunch right now for $1.89 lb, but I've never bought frozen ones, to me, ya don't know when or how long they were frozen, or how cold, etc. Always bought fresh......your views?

« Last Edit: April 04/21/20, 01:21:34 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have bought frozen before. No complaints.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
same here no issues..  ya buy other meats frozen and have no issues, so this will be no different...  if the price is good get it!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Actually, I don't buy any meat previously frozen! Only chicken when I can't get fresh...
« Last Edit: April 04/21/20, 01:41:07 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
well aintn.v yu hoitie toitie abouve us all.... :mooning:
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao:  That's why I've got a chest freezer and lotsa butcher paper!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, there went my ribs!!!!!!  %$#! Just talked to my butcher buddy, he had 'em on sale, when the pig news hit, they all went in 2 days! He's wiped out!  Dang!   :mad1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I always freeze them when I get them on sale.  I buy them already frozen too.  I look them over good though.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
reb how do yu know they wernt frozen before yub.got them... duh??
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
'Cuz I have my buddy cut them for me when they get in a load/cut up a load of fresh. They cut and wrap them and also do half-racks. He usually gives me a heads-up. It's a small Mom'n Pop type of place.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
oh, well weve all had imaginary freinds at 1 time...
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Says the guy hugging mannequins.....  :rotflmao:

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's a question, and let's hope we have some by this Summer....

Do you buy frozen ribs? I can get a bunch right now for $1.89 lb, but I've never bought frozen ones, to me, ya don't know when or how long they were frozen, or how cold, etc. Always bought fresh......your views?

If their from that guy in a Van parked off the hwy-Get um!  :happy1:   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
oh, well weve all had imaginary freinds at 1 time...
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb, no worry's about frozen ribs.  100% of the ribs that come in are pre-frozen.  For example we weigh them up frozen and the label has to say previously frozen.  They all come in vac packed sealed very good .  Don't know where you got them but if from a reputable store no problems.   Spare ribs also come this way.  good luck.

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
I like to buy them fresh as well but really have not had an issue buying them frozen.  Often times if I can get them for the right price I’ll buy a case and I freeze part of it.  Biggest reason for buying fresh is you can inspect them better.  A lot of people find meat on the shelf or even in the grocery meat display that is not frozen and think it’s fresh.... often times it’s just thawed.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Scenic where do you buy them fresh?  Just asking because of shelf life.  That is the main reason most are sold pre-frozen but I am not in the loop of meat markets  or other places where you can get them fresh.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
RH do you think there will now be a shortage and price hike on ribs and bacon? A week ago they couldn't store any more of them and the prices were supposed to drop.  Now are they going to skyrocket?  Prices always go up a lot faster than they drop...  And how many frozen racks of Baby Back or St Louis Spares are in a case?   Or how many lbs. is a case?

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Scenic where do you buy them fresh?  Just asking because of shelf life.  That is the main reason most are sold pre-frozen but I am not in the loop of meat markets  or other places where you can get them fresh.  good luck.

Often times some of the wholesale distribution places get them in fresh from the slaughter houses.  I also order pork bellies this way as well.  I hear what you are saying about shelf life. 

As for how many are in a case there is generally 60 lbs in case and they come individually bagged.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys. Guess I won't be afraid to try a rack or two of frozen from now on.
 :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 04/21/20, 06:47:25 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just called the meat market here at the grocery store that does have real good meat.  Next Monday baby backs will be on sale for $3.49 lb.  I asked if he thought the prices would go up and he thought they probably would.  A case of Baby Backs is about 45 lbs.  I am trying to get the wife on board with us buying a case of them.  That would be about $157 a case.  Would be about 15-18 racks.   :sleazy:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Would be about 15-18 racks.   :sleazy:

:banghead: :lipsrsealed:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
OK, worked today.  I found out today that Cub's is going back to Hormel for pork.  So what that will mean in pricing I don't know.  Anytime you disrupt supply prices will go up.  I don't know much about being a hog farmer but I do know there is a chain that has to be followed to keep going.  Some raise piglets that they sell to hog farmers who raise them and I think it's about a 3 months process and then they go get slaughtered.  The slaughter house gets closed and then what.  Farmers have to sell to others if there are any close to them or if they can't then I would think they would have to destroy the pigs and when that happens pigglets can't get sold and so on.  So Hormel has their own plants I believe and hopefully farmers can sell to them.  That's the way I see it but maybe there are some on here that know how it goes.  I'm glad Cubs will be buying from Hormel a American company with union jobs instead of a Chinese owened company.  good luck.

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
How come we are not hearing about shutdown beef processing plants?
Aren’t the worker in close proximity similar to pork processing?
I heard another pork processor in I think Iowa that produces about 4% of the US pork is shutting down.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered that too Coop.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
How come we are not hearing about shutdown beef processing plants?
Aren’t the worker in close proximity similar to pork processing?
I heard another pork processor in I think Iowa that produces about 4% of the US pork is shutting down.

it's affecting them too, just haven't heard much yet..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Pig prices gonna do like oil prices.    Farmers gonna pay to get rid of them.   
We need to have a pig kill at Dotch's house.   Reb can shoot them.  We gut them and skin them and chill them down....   Everyone takes a pig or half home... 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would do that in a heartbeat!  Hopefully Dotch will let me bring my camper.  Heck lets all bring our campers.  I sure hope RH is coming so we know what pieces we have...   LLL