Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ribs  (Read 7003 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
PARTY at Dotch's.  :party3: :party3: :party3: :party3: :party3: :drinking: :tequila; :violin:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will even bring him a bottle of Phillips Gin.   :sleazy:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I would do that in a heartbeat!  Hopefully Dotch will let me bring my camper.  Heck lets all bring our campers.  I sure hope RH is coming so we know what pieces we have...   LLL
I don't got no camper.  But I am within daytripping.   Do sheep eat pig guts?   Baaaa

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I would do that in a heartbeat!  Hopefully Dotch will let me bring my camper.  Heck lets all bring our campers.  I sure hope RH is coming so we know what pieces we have...   LLL
I don't got no camper.  But I am within daytripping.   Do sheep eat pig guts?   Baaaa

I'll bet not not but pigs will clean up the mess!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Phillips gin? Feeding sheep pig guts? Boy, you guys are all heart! The U was conducting research back in the early 80's feeding sheep turkey litter but I digress. Butchering hogs sounds like a lot of work in addition to everything else going on right about now. Be a lot easier to haul the porcine's to Morgan's. Might cost you a hundo or so for processing a half but it'd be worth it. In the meantime, you could gorge yourselves on rotisseried leg of lamb smomed with apple, pear or hackberry wood, have a libation or several, tell lies until the wee hours of the morning & watch the world go by.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There are a few farmer owned hog buildings in the area where the farmers also own the hogs but most of the hogs are owned by larger entities such as Wakefield's and Holden Farms. They then contract the hogs with plants like Hormel & Smithfield. The farmers usually own the buildings but contract feed and care for the animals, a hired man with some skin in the game in the form of bonuses for performance. There are a few farrowing/nursery buildings around here but most of the buildings are finishing barns where they bring the piglets in at 15 - 20 lbs and grow them up to about 300. Used to be a lot smaller hogs (225 lbs. when I was a kid) but the cuts are larger and the packers want them bigger. 
« Last Edit: April 04/23/20, 10:04:04 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Phillips gin? Feeding sheep pig guts? Boy, you guys are all heart! The U was conducting research back in the early 80's feeding sheep turkey litter but I digress. Butchering hogs sounds like a lot of work in addition to everything else going on right about now. Be a lot easier to haul the porcine's to Morgan's. Might cost you a hundo or so for processing a half but it'd be worth it. In the meantime, you could gorge yourselves on rotisseried leg of lamb smomed with apple, pear or hackberry wood, have a libation or several, tell lies until the wee hours of the morning & watch the world go by.  :happy1:
hey we'd still let you go watch gunsmoke. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
There are a few farmer owned hog buildings in the area where the farmers also own the hogs but most of the hogs are owned by larger entities such as Wakefield's and Holden Farms. They then contract the hogs with places like Hormel & Smithfield. The farmers usually own the buildings but contract feed and care for the animals, a hired man with some skin in the game in the form of bonuses for performance. There are a few farrowing/nursery buildings around here but most of the buildings are finishing barns where they bring the piglets in at 15 - 20 lbs and grow them up to about 300. Used to be a lot smaller hogs (225 lbs. when I was a kid) but the cuts are larger and the packers want them bigger.
dotch how far are you from ballatone??? just southeast of marshall??????

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
He is on the complete other side of the state Glenn.  He is by Wisco. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: I didn't know,  :scratch: :scratch: he keeps talking a about bugtussie….thought that might be next to petticot junction>>>>> :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I asked cause I know a pig farmer that does some of that piggy contracting stuff!!!!!!! guess he's got a pile of acerage to???

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm approximately 16.7 miles SW of the store where you go to the bathroom in the big orange silo at Owatonna. Beaver Lake is to our east & south, St. Olaf Lake is to our west & south.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm approximately 16.7 miles SW of the store where you go to the bathroom in the big orange silo at Owatonna. Beaver Lake is to our east & south, St. Olaf Lake is to our west & south.   
HEY...…….I know right were that is!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :doofus: :doofus: :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
hey we'd still let you go watch gunsmoke. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

And after that I could watch The Big Valley! Linda Evans was hawt!  :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
HEY...…….I know right were that is!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :doofus: :doofus: :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

There are lotsa little fish in those lakes so I just figgered you knew... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: I didn't know,  :scratch: :scratch: he keeps talking a about bugtussie….thought that might be next to petticot junction>>>>> :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I asked cause I know a pig farmer that does some of that piggy contracting stuff!!!!!!! guess he's got a pile of acerage to???
:scratch: Morgan's Meats is in New Richland, glenn. Can't be too far from there. :scratch:
« Last Edit: April 04/24/20, 07:56:10 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Never really been down in that god forsaken country. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Never really been down in that god forsaken country. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
You should try it, that extra fresh air :rolleyes: might :scratch: be good for you.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My Wife works for U of M Extension and is the 4H Program Coordinator for Rice County.  Many  pork producing families in that organization -- and it's not looking good for them.  We've had two families so far put the word out for anyone who would like to buy a whole or a half-hog and have it processed through a local locker plant.  Sound like a mass euthanization maybe in the offing for many of them.  All the local meat markets that have slaughter capabilities are booked solid from pork farmers trying their best to offload what they can to private buyers. But the capacity is obviously nowhere near what a processor can handle.  We're talking a few pigs out of hundreds that would normally be shipped to market.  I know we're getting a whole hog, as we're due for one anyway.  But it's going to be hard for some of these operations to stay afloat. Silver lining is many local meat markets are seeing a boom, I guess.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
I posted this under corona virus also...but U better stock up.. Nodak which is a big isowiener (piglet) producer has about shut down so there won’t be the piglets for the feeders in the future for a while also.  I just bought a finished hog myself..