Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Salsa Recipe  (Read 2303 times)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Hotsy Totsy Salsa

4 cups tomato puree or diced tomatoes
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced peppers
3 TBS white Vinegar
1 TBS minced garlic
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp dried oregano

If you eat this raw it is fine the way it is. If you cook and can it then you need to start with more tomatoes and cook them down to the thickness you want. Then measure out the 4 cups after cooking.

I put in the measurements for the onions and peppers. But after measuring out the tomatoes, I just keep adding till it looks to be the right amount w/o measuring.

Not everyone in my family likes hot food. So I don't add it. They can add hot sauce before they eat it. Or you can add Jalapeno peppers to get it as hot as you want.

I can this in a pressure cooker to be safe.

This recipe can also be used for green tomatoes in the fall when you have to pick them all. Usually raw not canned.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
thanks for posting this...…...made me remember too!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

I like your idea of the oregano and parsley...….I have been also adding cilantro.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
here is my reciepe I use for salsa.

4-9 X13 cake pans of skinned and quartered tomatoes.
onions......I fill what is eguivalant to a 3 lb butter or I cant believe its not butter container chuncked up into pieces. not to small.
green peppers...….same as above
Jalepeno peppers......fill a 1 lb container of butter. spread.
garlic.....a good cup worth diced
add some salt
2 tsp cumin
add cilantro, oregano and parsley if you like.
I grow my own celery so I add that to...…...not really needed.

bring to boil cook down at a simmer till it is thick. to assist in getting this done, as it boils down and gets watery, I take a coffee cup and a strainer and remove the juice running it thru the strainer into a different container, putting back any ingredients the strain catches. I do this as often as necessary. some use the juice for bloody mary mix or just drink it......I throw it out.

I may also add I don't add the cumin cilantro oregano or parsley till its almost thick.
put in jars, heat the lids in boiling water, seal jars. I usually turn them on the lids for 5-10 minutes to help in sealing.

this reciepe yields between 12-14 pints of salsa!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I might add that I will cut up and prep everything the couple days prior to doing the tomatoes and cooking it to cut down the time the day I actually make the salsa!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey that sounds like a nice an easy quick thing to do on a Sat afternoon!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually grab enough maters and peppers to do 2 qts. at a time. But we like it chunky so usually just cut up the maters and pepper's by hand, where the cilantro,  clove of garlic ( per qt) and onion gets zapped quickly in the ninja. Its all eyeballed, usually 2 decent size maters, jalapeño or 2, medium size onion , bell pepper and a handfulof cilantro. Add it all in with a good squirt of lime juice salt and pepper to taste.  No cooking it down here since its smaller batches but I'll give oregano and cumin a shot..
« Last Edit: May 05/17/20, 04:14:04 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man that sounds potent Bobber.  Sounds good though.  I am paying attention to all of this cuz we planted tomatoes, peppers, and onions.  Hope it all turns out.  Salsa big time.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
You can keep the seeds out if you want to tame it down.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
mine is not a fresh salsa...but my wife does have a reciepe for that too!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I also put this one for green tomatoes on the Garden Forum. Usually have a lot of green tomatoes in the fall.

This is  a recipe for fresh  green tomato salsa. It's good also and makes a smaller batch to eat faster. My grand daughter likes making this one in the fall with green tomatoes. Again onions and peppers as much as you want.  Add hot sauce or Jalapeno's

2 lbs green tomatoes.....chopped
1 onion chopped
1 pepper chopped
3 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1 Tbs olive oil
3 Tbs water
1 tsp sugar
1 TBS lemon or lime juice
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
« Last Edit: May 05/20/20, 05:17:10 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Can't wait to utilize some of those greenies on this recipe.